Bears Sign Jared Allen To 4-yr Deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by draw2anderson35, Mar 26, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Oh yeah, that too. Bullough or maybe Skov a little earlier. Personally I don't want Bostic anywhere near MLB. There's also a chance we can pickup some backup help when teams begin to release some players after the draft that will fill the need for a year. I'd really like to see us find a guy earlier in a future draft. This one doesn't seem to loaded with a lot of talent.
  2. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,275 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    222ß
    NFL network said getting Allen was a complete under the radar stealth move AND it was right at market value..

Two great things to see in a G.M.
  3. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +240 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    202ß
    Lots of positive comments, but there are two things that concern me. Jared is older and he doesn't help us get younger on defense. The second is we have a lot of DE's now. We still need some beef in the middle.

Color me optimistic, but we are taking some risk with this pick-up.
  4. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +167 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    Quote="soulman, post: 45841, member: 35"]I would take him Jim but Phil says there's no way I'm getting in the War Room on draft day or into his head. LOL

Maybe it's being a huge fan of the Buddy Ryan days when the idea was to put pressure on the QB and put him on his butt. He can't complete passes from there so coverage becomes less critical. These two 1st round FS are good but not elite and while I think they both have earned picks between 10-20. I wouldn't be disappointed with the pick of we took one of them but I'd still have my concerns that it wasn't the best pick we could have made.

If Donald is gone the choice get's more difficult. If it came down to Dix and Jernigan I'd probably take Dix and shoot for a DT in round two. If it's Pryor and Jernigan it's a real tossup. Personally I don't think trading down will gain us much and that's not Emery's style anyway. It's another month plus 'til the draft and the sands are still shifting enough around the league that anything could happen between now and then.[/quote]

If Donald is gone it is definitely a tough call. But having said that it doesn't have to be a DT or safety. Could be a CB or the best player available. With the work Emery has done we don't have to have this player or that position at # 14. The main thing is getting the best player that fits your team. A guy that becomes a pro bowl player. What if Gilbert is there @ 14. He wouldn't start right away but he would probably play in nickel & dime. When Tillman is gone, 1 to 2 years down the road, no worries. I would prefer our 1st Rd pick to be able to start right away but if he is the best player at a position of need I wouldn't have a problem with it. JMHO.
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

To the good folks in Seattle and in the Seahawk front office it was a complete surprise. Even Pete Carroll didn't seem to have a clue that Allen has signed elsewhere even after it had happened. One of the Seattle media people said yesterday that Allen had left without signing a deal to go home to think about it. He also said it was expected around there that he WOULD sign before the week was out. Ooops.

Emery knew he'd have to come up with something pretty close to the deal Pep got and he did. They're right. It was market value for a guy like him. Elway set the top of the market with what he paid Ware but even Ware has to play out all three years to collect all of it. Justin Tuck got far less from Oakland and what Allen got was in line with what Houston got whose 6 years younger.
  6. Seqq34

Seqq34 Veteran

Ratings:
    +88 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    59ß
    I know QB hits aren't a stat

Not trying to argue your views....nor compare NFL players, but Dent still brought it till he was 33 y/o...Reggie White still had sacks in him till he was 37...Allen will be HOF bound considering his numbers, but only time will tell what kind of ceiling he has...IMO every player is a risk, but Allen does bring a HEAVY motor and drive(redneck as it be), along with knowledge and skills that can be learned by those wanting to develop.

Considering the league has gone pass happy, having too many DE's is a great tool for trading on draft day, or whenever ;)
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Well he is two years younger than Pep. Emery just said younger. He never said HOW MUCH younger. :rofl2:

Seriously though Houston is only 26 and Young 28 so he did add some youth at DE. I feel pretty confident one of our first two picks will be a DT so I think some attention is being paid to that too although all except Ratliff are still young players. If Emery expects to stay in a win now mode he can't just dump over 30 players left and right for younger guys without going through an entire rebuilding process. There has to be a mix of impact vets along with younger guys with good potential to become impact players.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    I just think Dix is the better player and value - plain and simple.
  9. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32 Veteran

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    202ß
    Just saw this on the SportsCenter crawler. Great pickup for the Bears!
  10. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +985 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,128ß
    Turns out, it wasn't all about the money for Allen. According to NFL.com the Raiders had the highest offer. :clap:
    • Like Like x 1
  11. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +327 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    154ß
    Haha Raiders are really a special, special team
  12. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +327 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    154ß
    Raiders - 28 mil free cap space, pretty much no one left to sign (FA), Roach is a (well paid) star and no QB! Why in the hell did they let Houston go, and signed Tuck!? Stupid fu.k.rs
  13. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +914 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    Roach is a star?
  14. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Their GM is a former "Fudgepacker" and that says it all!
    :D
  15. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +327 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    154ß
    Apparently in Oakland - he is
  16. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +745 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    Alright, now that the DL is set, we should use the draft to get DBs, especially a couple guys to play safety. I'd also take a LB if one of the good ones drops down for some reason. Allen is an 11-yr. vet, but he still has some tread on the tires. I just hope he isn't playing like Peppers by the 3rd or 4th year of the deal.
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  17. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +327 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    154ß
    well we do need 1 more, this time young DT
  18. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +745 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,178ß
    I think we can manage with this DL group, and safety is now our weakest spot heading into the draft. I will not have peace of mind until I know Conte is not going to be in the starting lineup.
  19. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +327 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    154ß
    I would take Illinois S Ward probably in 2nd round, hes our guy
  20. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +914 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    765ß
    Conte isn't the problem, the guy who isn't on our team anymore was more of a concern. I'd say corner is still a very big need. Tillman was only signed to a 1 year deal and we need someone to take over for him, as well as provide depth in case of injury.