Bears Sign Jared Allen To 4-yr Deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by draw2anderson35, Mar 26, 2014.

1. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    Conte is a problem anytime he is on the field. I like this Ward guy. He seems to be very versatile, and could play safety until Tillman retires (or gets injured) and then move to corner....

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...inois-safety-jimmie-ward-a-first-round-talent
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2014
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    400ß
    You aren't going to "get younger" all that much in FA. Most FAs are obviously going to be 26yo-low 30s by the time they hit the open market. You only get significantly younger by consistently hitting on draft picks. That hasn't happened yet under Phil on the D side of the ball.

So far we have replaced 3 DLs--one of whom is 34yo and the other two of whom were coming off surgery--with players who are either younger or of similar age but better and unhurt.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +722 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    So what you're saying is Conte forgot how to play football in a season. He went from arrow pointing up to he should be cut? Let's get real here please. I know he's the popular whipping boy, but just because something is popular doesn't mean it's right. If you understand how defense works, and the responsibilities of the free safety then you would understand Conte was not put in positions to succeed this year. Part of that is on him, he made some bad plays, part of that is the people surrounding him. Wright had a track record of inconsistent play, Conte, prior to last year was looking up.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +708 / 6 / -22
    ßearz ßuckz:
    967ß
    I disagree. Because the DL totally sucked last year, Conte was put in position where he had to actually cover the deep sidelines on long passes. He consistently failed. He also had to make more tackles in the open field because our DL and LB could not stop the run. He took bad pursuit angles. He blew tackles consistently. I don't see that changing, although a better DL will mask his deficiencies to some extent, as in the past where we had Urlacher and Briggs tackling anybody who got past the front-4.

He and Wright MUST go.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,327 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,505ß
    I never thought Conte was good to begin with, last year just sproved it.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,066 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,316ß
    Defensive tackle is still a little weak. I would not mind drafting one, but I'd be fine with them drafting a S.

That being said Emery might surprise us and get a LB
  7. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +918 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    926ß
    He might even go crazy and pick a center in the first. lol
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,237ß
    This ^^^^^
  9. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    132ß
    color me stupid, i still have faith in him, but its gonna be his last chance with us, he and shea are on the bubble
    • Like Like x 2
  10. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I hear ya' but for me it should be Donald. Maybe not so much immediately but during the next few years if he can stay healthy I think the kid could be a monster DT ala John Randle. Ratliff is aging, Collins is only on a one year, and while I love Paea he still doesn't have what Donald does. At some point we need another DT this year and if we pass on Donald would Quarles last until our pick in round 2?

Unless you're talking about an elite DB, and I don't believe Dix is, I would never take a FS over a top pass rusher. It's a whole lot easier to find good Safeties and it is to find DT who can penetrate, pressure, and rush like he can. We just value positions differently is all. I think Dix is a great player and if Donald was laying at my feet I'd grab him but I prefer a DT to a FS right now.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    He doesn't really have the deep speed for a CB but he'd could probably handle NB. In fact he might me a very good NB as much as he's around the ball and he can blitz as well. I just don't see Conte as being as bad as some see him. The entire defense sucked like a Hoover last year and he was snake bit on a few plays the cost us games. If he doesn't show a huge amount of improvement not only will he not start but he'll be gone just like Wright and no one is beating a path to his door with an offer just yet. What GM wants to sign the worst SS in the NFL?
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Wright is already gone David and your emotions are what you're making the decision about Conte with. The kid is under contract and unless he really stinks it up in camp and the preseason he'll be on the team. Even if we draft a kid to replace him Conte has starting experience and he's cheap. Conte knows he's got one shot at keeping his job and if that doesn't motivate him then he'll be gone soon enough. Who do you want back there, Steltz? His coverage skills are far worse.

Conte played a pretty solid game in 2012 and we all thought he and Wright would progress and just the opposite happened but then so did the entire defense. He'll get his chance to turn his game around and if he does we can use him and if not we replace him with whoever we draft to compete with him. Jeezus this kid from GB we signed is even worse at FS than Conte so we'll be drafting a Safety somewhere along the line. Maybe even in the first round. Then they can battle it out best man wins.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. dabears

dabears Veteran

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

I agree Soul, I would not want to pass up a chance to solidify the DLine for years to come. You land Donald and now you get literally generate pressure from all 4 positions and contain the run. If your edge/interior is covered with excellent rushers it takes pressure off of the secondary.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +722 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    Wright is already gone bro...his contract is up. I can't find a percentage, but how often did we actually run cover 2...not just show a cover 2 shell, but run cover 2? A good secondary must have a good d-line...thats the bottom line and really there is no arguing it. The best DB's can't cover forever. I'm not saying Conte is an all-pro, but he's a solid starter when he has the pieces around him to allow him to do his job. The guy was 3rd on our team in tackles....3rd! Let that sink in...our FREE SAFETY WAS THIRD IN TACKLES!!! That should never....ever be the case.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    DavidL is a typical "The Sky Is Falling" fan and you'll never change that. However you hit the nail on the head with this post. The "D" the Bears play is totally dependent on pressure from the front 4 and that was NOT there at all last season. Emery fixed that in FA as he did with the "O" line last year. Before he did that it was all Cutlers fault. What a difference a good line made for the "O" and it will be the same with the "D". Improve the depth situation and draft players to develop for the future. That's going to be the solution and I'm convinced It's a BIG part of Emery's plan.
    ;)
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    400ß
    Agree and BTW that was true even early in the season before the rash of injuries set in. Melton and Pep didn't do much early on as far as pass rush goes. The run D was considerable better than the disaster that followed, but the pass rush from the DL was anemic all season long. That's a big reason why I was happy to let Melton walk (draft Donald please as his replacement) and have some other team overpay him and take the injury risk. And swapping out Pep for Allen got us more sacks for less money in a 2-year-younger package. It starts up front and that's where we SUCKED BAD last year.

Yes, I know our safety play was nothing short of a mess too. But nothing short of two all-Pros back there would have made a difference with no pass rush and a front-7 sieve in the run game. Flames headed my way for saying this, but it wouldn't surprise me at all to see Conte starting this year. He's gonna have to win the job in camp but I'm sure he'll be given a good and fair opportunity to do so. The team hasn't given up on him and shouldn't--he can rebound with better play in front of him and in a contract year no less. There's no way your FS should be asked to make as many TD-saving tackles in the open field as he was expected to do last year. The DL and LB corps sucked.
    • Like Like x 3
  17. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    132ß
    Is anyone else annoyed (sorry, absolutely nothing personal) with omc calling every second poster around here 'sky is falling fan'? Im not sure was I called one too, but let people have their one opinions, some are emotional, some irrational, but let them be, why this superior attitude?
    And its usually the ones u dont agree with...
  18. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    Sorry if I offended you but ..........
    #1 I do not call every second poster out on this subject.
    #2 I never called you out at all. I try to respect everybody's opinions but get tired of the constant negative attitude of some and need to vent as well.
    #3 When I DO vent I use facts to back up my point of view as I did in my post you quoted. Using facts is NOT a superior attitude at all.

Again nothing personal at all to you or anyone else. I'm sorry you took it in the wrong context.
  19. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +307 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    132ß
    dont get me wrong, i understand what u mean, and im on the same wagon 'its not the end of the world', always try to be optimistic. But, to be honest, from time to time, I do feel like the sky is falling and im really getting annoyed with all this Packers fans all around fuc.ing with us all the time, i hate that, and the problem is that they do have a point. We need to get serious, its been 30y!
    • Like Like x 1
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,710 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,237ß
    FWIW, regarding DavidL, he seems like a guy whose been a Bears fan for a long time. I could be wrong about that, but if he is, then I can relate to him being a bit of a "sky is falling" guy. I'm a bit like that now. It's not that long-time fans know anything special, or are more or less astute than other fans. I'm wrong here on this forum as much as I'm right (not sure I'm even batting that well here).

But the sky HAS fallen a LOT on Bears seasons over the past 50 or so years. It's like getting an electric cattle prod up the butt on a regular basis - after awhile you get a bit jumpy and don't always drink the Kool Aid as quickly as some fans do. I'm becoming more of a "wait and see" kind of fan now. I hope for the best. Cheer for the team - but I'm always aware of the old cattle prod looming near.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 3