Bears Sign Jared Allen To 4-yr Deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by draw2anderson35, Mar 26, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +599 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    316ß
    Wait and see is fine...it's actually laudable. What we have here is not wait and see. Nobody wants to wait and see with Conte it seems, and certainly nobody wants to wait and see what Tucker can do with a defense that doesn't include 3 pro bowlers being injured for most of the season and a bunch of fill in's.
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    882ß
    A lot of fans (myself included) are livid angry about the state of the defense. I think many fans were not so much shocked by the 8-8 season, so much as they were shocked by how bad the defense looked. I think Bears fans have suffered though many dismal seasons due to the offense being rotten, so we're used to that. But it was traumatic to see a Chicago Bears team look so pitifully weak on defense. I think witnessing this all season made fans so crazy angry that they just couldn't get over it as easily as they did during the bad years of offense. So people (me too) just got livid angry. The safety play is just part of it. Both safeties were really bad. Is Conte an NFL-caliber saftety? Maybe. I hope he proves that he is. But last season he just seemed to be "lost" out there. Wright too.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,944 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    995ß
    Conte?

Conte sucks.
  4. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100ß
    u know what really crushes me? like u said, our D, thats our trademark, we cannot be NFL bottom in D, im sorry to say but I enjoyed it more when we had excellent D and crappy O, of course I dont want that, but thats what I like. I always prefered D, rough play, to the maxx, foul, while playing anysport, bball, being an LB in my team. Im not born in Chicago, not even close and the reason why I love the Bears last 15y i've been a follower is historic trademark - D
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +599 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    316ß
    Conte is an NFL caliber saftey, his play in 2012 proved he's an NFL safety, and the fact you and others doubt that because of last year proves my point.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    882ß
    For the record, I'm okay with giving Tucker a pass, and we'll just see how he does with an upgraded roster. I'll be his #1 fan if he turns out to be a solid coach for us. Conte? I hope for the best with him too. I still would like to see a stud S brought in from this draft. If Conte turns our to be solid at S, then great. If not, then we have upgraded at the position and can let him go. I don't think you bet the farm on him being solid until he proves he can play.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +599 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    316ß
    How many times do I have to mention 2012 before someone pays attention around here???!!!
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    882ß
    We do disagree on this. That's fine. We can just agree to disagree. No problem.
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,074 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,150ß
    Butkus I respect the hell out of your opinion, and 9.999% of the time we seem to at least come close in our opinions, but the 2012 season didn't scream NFL quality starter to me; to me it screamed IF everything else around Conte is elite he'll be okay.
    But imo no one should settle for okay when everything else is elite, they should at least be really good and well above average, Conte and Wright weren't in 2012.
    What last year you saw was the polar opposite, when there is no talent around them they are not capable of playing at all, neither deserved to be on the field so the truth about them is they are somewhere between okay and barely playable. And imo that means that there is no reason Conte should be slotted in as a starter, or that the team should feel the spot is not a need position come draft day.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  10. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    I'm probably one of the oldest here and have seen it all starting in the mid 50's. Frustration with team ownership is maddening to go along with BAD coaches / draft busts / GM's etc. etc. etc. I think that many of us "Old Timers" get stuck in the rut provided by former front office idiots ( Yeah YOU Mikey ) that when something good happens the skepticism is naturally there. I also had a "Wait and See" attitude when Emery was hired but at the same time knew that Lovie should have been shown the door at the same time as the "Angler" as neither had a clue regarding anything to do with the "O" side of the ball. NOBODY thought that Emery would come in and fix the "O" line at first and we were in for a pleasant surprise when he did just that. Now, due to age and injuries he has to work his magic with the "D" and I believe he is putting the pieces in place to do just that while drafting for the future as well. Living in northern Wi. I'm sick of taking s*#t from all the Fudgepacker fans all around here. It needs to stop NOW and put those Peckers in their rightful place (3rd at best). Going by recent history I see the current regime as a breath of fresh air with the arrow pointing up. There will be some mistakes made so I'm not drinking the kool-aid all the time but nobody is perfect. Especially not me!
    :D
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +599 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    316ß
    It was his second year in the league in 2012, and he played pretty damn good IMO. I'm not saying all-pro by any means, I'm not even saying top 10, but he was good. Last year, his 3rd, should have been better, but when surrounded by the utter waste that was our defense he had to make up for a lot of people, namely the person next to him, and was 3rd on our team in tackles. I'm not saying he should be guaranteed a spot, but I think there are other areas that need addressing a lot more than he does.
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,074 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,150ß
    that I do agree on.
  13. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    I agree that the "D" has always been the Bears trademark and last years collapse was simply unbearable at best. I put this DIRECTLY on the failure of the "Angler" to draft any depth whatsoever instead of drafting some BOZO who could jump out of a pool for example. So many BAD draft picks put the Bears in the situation they were in last year when injuries decimated the "D". Now Emery has to clean up the horrible mess that Angelo left.
    :mad:
    • Like Like x 1
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,443 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    882ß
    In fairness, sometimes it's not that a player sucks or is a star - but somewhere in between. Wright is really bad. Conte may be one of those guys who is somewhere in the middle. For some fans that "middle" may be good enough, but others may feel the need for a better player. It's a "matter of degree" rather than purely black-and-white. Maybe in fairness we do need to see Conte play this year and evaluate what we have in him. I'm fine with that. I'd still like to see us draft a solid safety in this draft. It seems like it's been a long time since we've had a real stud at safety.

I also 100% buy into the idea of the DL being extremely important. But I also believe the secondary is important too. Obviously we face QB's that get the ball out so fast it can negate a pass rush to a certain extent (Rodgers in particular). So it's not like the DL can make it okay to have low tier talent behind the DL. I agree the DL elevates the play of the defense. But we still need a solid level of talent behind that DL if we hope to win championships.
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,250 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    290ß
    You're never gonna have stars at every position. Conte was a serviceable starter when surrounded by quality talent in 2012. When that surrounding talent went to shit last year, Conte was exposed and made to look bad. He has become the fans favorite whipping boy especially for that week 17 screwup although it was Anderson's fault (the guy who truly was an epic fail that day).

I will be content to give Conte another shot to be our FS starter with a solid SS in place and an upgraded front 7.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    I'm willing to give Conte a pass for last year due to the circumstances. If he shows up this year, good. If not, show him the door.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,250 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    290ß
    That's exactly the point, OMC. He's on his FA year so has every motivation to prove himself or face the fate of major wright who's phone has gone strangely dead for months now.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,198 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100ß
    If Tucker gets a pass then why didn't the two assistant coaches who were axed? Surely, they have to understand that it's just the injuries and nothing else right?

-Well the answer is someone had to be thrown under the bus for lack of coaching be it fundamentals, technique or otherwise.

-The only one who should have gotten a "pass" is DeCamillas and I'm not even sure of that.
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,074 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,150ß
    SFB, coaching of fundamentals and technique fall on the assistants not the coordinators, the coordinators, during the season, are busy putting the scheme and game plan together, so if the team felt there were fundamental issues, then it's the assistants that are GOING to get axed, not the DC/OC or HC.
  20. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +599 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    316ß
    Well seeing as how position coaches are the one's who are directly responsible for teaching fundamentals and technique, who else would you expect to be fired? Plus I like the two guys who were brought in better.
    • Like Like x 1