Bears Sign Nate Collins & Jordan Palmer

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by mshu7, Mar 9, 2014.

1. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Bears reporting both signed 1-year contracts.
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2014
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Well that shoots down my thinking they were gonna hold off on Collins because of his injury. Good move. Now I'm think they may have a tentative agreement with Bennett and they're willing to let Melton go if they can't get him right. It also indicate they have at least some doubts about McCown although they had both in camp and of the roster last year too. He's the likely vet #2 if McCown doesn't come back.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Rich Campbell thinks this does NOT affect McCown's status because it's just a 1-year/low $$$ signing.
  4. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
    Puts Donald in play for the draft though.
  5. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Palmer could be a younger version of McCown, and I like the fact that they went after Collins, indicates that Melton is not in the picture, but not completely out of the picture.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +163 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    53ß
    Yeah I think McCown is gone. I hope you're right about Bennett. Collins is a good signing if he can be healthy by TC.
  7. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,241 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    171ß
    I'm real glad we resigned Collins. From what I read he rehabbed super hard and I think he's got decent talent and a great motor. Still think we are better off letting Melton go and drafting his replacement. Don't know if Donald will be available but Hageman as a second choice sounds real nice too.
  8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
    probably be Donald or Jernigan, Might get Hageman in second he is sliding lately. Funny how much they change after the season is over, The so called experts either feeding a line of shit all year or forgetting how they played and putting way to much in the combine. I believe they way the senior bowl and combine to heavily. Its good to use for a smaller school prospect to see if they hold up against Div I talent but seriously moving players 20 positions in your rankings after the season. Anyway I have seen Hageman in the 40's on various big boards, He was up as high as 12 or so after the season, Not sure the Bears would double dip on the Dline but i would take either Jernigan or Donald and be really tempted to come back and snag Hageman in rd 2 if he were there.
  9. mshu7

mshu7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    Seeing a lot of Bears reporters on Twitter saying that the Palmer signing is more of an insurance policy just in case McCown leaves town.
  10. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +837 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    895ß
    Wow Twitter blew up over this re-signing news.
  11. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    And I'd agree. Both were in camp last year and Palmer was on the roster already.
  12. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    101ß
    Now do we hope Collins doesn't have a break through year and we go hell next year? Lol
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,420 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    I'm surprised they re-signed Collins so soon. Not complaining--I wanted him back as a cheap depth guy--just surprised it was this soon. It's not like he was in any danger of being scooped up by another team as a former-udfa vet min guy coming off ACL surgery.

I'm trying not to get my hopes up too high on Bennett. I know we aren't the only suitor for him and the fish could easily still wiggle off the hook. If we get him though, it's a big score IMO. That's our #1 need to fill in FA.
  14. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    Where does Palmer leave us with McCown? Who knows really but to me I don't know why you sign Palmer unless you think McCown is gone. If McCown stays wouldn't you head in to training camp with him, Jay and a young rookie or guy with only a couple of years in the league?

Where does Collins leave us with Melton? We've got Ratliff, Paea and Collins now. Still room for one more veteran and a guy in the draft. Just a matter of whether we can or want to spend the money on Melton. Tough call.

Sometimes I find it strange that Emery signs up the little names before he signs the big deals. But then again it's like doing to simple chores and getting them out and done before tackling the big one. He signs up the pieces he knows he wants and then goes after his big targets.
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,420 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    These 2 are minimum money/no guaranteed deals I believe. They can be cut without repercussion if need be. I see them as more insurance policies or hedges than "proof" that other players as good as gone. Though my gut (no hard facts here just my best guess) tells me Melton won't be back due to injury risk, Donald/Jernigan is his replacement in the draft, and McCown has probably been priced out of our reach by the recent Henne/Cassel contracts. JMO
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    Last year I heard the team thought Collins was as good as Melton, so this is a steal, and probably means Melton won't return. I'd find it hard for the team to take a DT w/the 1st pick though as they now have a legit starter and backup, in Ratliff and Collins, this would lead me to believe they have a mid round guy they like better; and their first is now open to find a replacement CB/S at 14, maybe Dix, or Pryor or Gilbert or Dennard. Or maybe there is a DE they like; Ealy maybe or Truitt maybe w/a tradeback?

Palmer is probably the backup next year; the team will want McCown back, put I'd expect both sides know that McCown will have to be willing to turn down FAR more money then the Bears can offer him.
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,420 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    Collins is a steal, I agree. But he's coming off an October ACL tear so having him 100% recovered by training camp is dicey and probably the best that could be hoped for. In any event, he was a backup not a frontline starter. Ratliff is likewise a 2014 rotational/depth guy at 3t/NT. I don't see either of these signings as indicating that 3t is off the radar for the #14 pick, providing Melton isn't back (which I don't think he will be).

The whole defense sucked last year no doubt but it starts up front. Nowhere was the dumpster fire more evident than the DL. No run defense and no pass rush from the front 4 was the foremost problem all season long. The team needs a ~ 22yo stud DL more than we need a 22yo stud safety IMO. And I'm not convinced that Ha-Ha is Eric Berry by any means. CB? Maybe I can see that if Peanut is history.

I do agree about Josh though. The Cassel contract stunned me. If the vet backup market is routinely up to $4-5m/yr, then we can't match that and JM is a goner.
  18. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    35ß
    I don't know to what extent they feel Collins or Ratliff will be able to play both positions but I think Emery will still be keen on getting more quality DTs in whether it be Melton or a high draft pick (who might be a NT or able to rotate at NT as depth). He admitted last year that the depth just wasn't there on the line. Sure Collins and Melton were big injuries but you don't want to be signing guys off the street to play a big number of snaps and have to shit a DE to DT after only 2 injuries.

It might mean the secondary struggle a bit without bringing in top free agents or draft picks but building from the inside first is always said to be the best way and if we stop the run and get some pass rush at least there's no way the defense is worse than last year.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +928 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    962ß
    Byebye McCown
  20. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,408 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,589ß
    MP/BDU, I'm not saying DT isn't a need still, it's just not a frontline need compared to DB and MLB and DE, still a lot of FA left to figure out; and again DT is a one of the deeper positions, you can get a starter the 2nd round.