Bears Sign Nate Collins & Jordan Palmer

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by mshu7, Mar 9, 2014.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Perhaps so but the quality drops off dramatically. I realize the draft "big board" is not in stone and will flux a bit as we get close to early May but so far there doesn't appear to be much chance that a MLB or DE will be both available @ 14 and worthy of that pick. That's how it's shaping up so far. I know everyone's saying: "just trade down then and get an extra pick!" Problem is, you gotta get fair value and have a willing partner who wants to trade UP to do that. It's talked about way more often then it actually materializes. And I seem to remember JA trading down a lot and we ended up drafting 2 so-so players rather than 1 very good one. I'd much rather have 1 high quality impact starter than 2 who are both nothing special. We drafted DT Paea in the mid-2nd a few years ago and frankly he's really been nothing to write home about.

I know I'll catch hell for saying this but I loathe the idea of drafting a S that high (14). The guy better be one helluva once-in-a-decade type prospect to justify it IMO. Way better bang for the buck so to speak on pass rushers. You can win with a so-so secondary & fierce pass rush much more so than with the reverse. And, assuming Melton is gone, we really don't have much long term on the interior of the DL. Paea is a FA next year. Ratliff is a stopgap nearing the end of his career. And Collins is unproven coming off injury on a one-year deal. There's no anchor there.

Bottom line is I just want to see Emery make a pick at 14 that impacts and makes a real difference as a young long-term feature starter. We can't have another Shea-mistake.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +385 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    Byrd allegedly wants 9 mill a year. Hmmmmm...anybody willing to go 7 to 8 mill a year on Ward?
  3. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    I have no idea of whether these Mitchell rumors are true but even if so he's a FS not a SS. As is Byrd who wants huge $. I get where you're going, Butkus, we need a SS more since we have nothing there right now.
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +385 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    17ß
    Yeah, that was my point. I don't want Byrd, I want Ward...as an aside, I think Mitchell could play strong safety...he's a decently big dude.
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +992 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    25ß
    Read where you posted that in another thread. If true, makes a lot of sense. I read that the Bears were reportedly looking to draft him years ago but he went a couple of picks ahead of us. JA then traded our pick away for 2 boxes of shiny magic beads.

The 2nd biggest need we have in "outside FA" after DE is a starting SS. Perhaps that's what Emery is eyeing Mitchell for.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +441 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    Collins in Melton out. Can't take chance on 2 injured guys coming back next year and I agree with others here Collins is cheap version of Melton. Hate to see McCown go but this sure sounds like it. Because you have to think they would have wrapped up any leftover QB cash in tight ball for McCown if he was coming back.
  7. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    We have the flexibility to do it by releasing Pep and converting part of Cutler's first salary to a signing bonus. It can be done.
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,471 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    Ya but the quality also drops off dramatically for all those others, is there any chance of a MLB/DE being available worth taking in the 2nd-4th compared to the DT's that area also available? that's what many miss, ya the quality drops off drastically, al positions quality drops off drastically. But you have to compare the quality of each group to the quality of the next.

Also DB is also of vital importance and many of the DB's that would be available ARE worth taking. Sea showed the importance of DB's this year, and the quality also might not be there in the later rounds.
  9. sluggobear

sluggobear Veteran

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    I like these signings. Collins outplayed Melton last year before they both went down. In a contract year, you think Melton would play lights out, and Melton did not display any special effort during the few games he played to earn a big contract. Palmer could benefit from being in the Bears offense like McCown. I appreciate McCown's contribution last year and wish him luck if he goes elsewhere. Palmer will be an adequate back up to Jay.