Bears Sign Peanut Tillman To 1 yr deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by a_miljan, Mar 11, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,569ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I never said he was the weak link, nor did I infer it. He just isn't that good anymore. If they paid him 8-10mil this year to be a rotational guy and not a 3 down player as MP thinks he might be, then they VASTLY overpaid him. And again they aren't the Sea Seahawks or 49'rs Def, that is a team that was mostly healthy and ranked 25th last year.

2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,163ß
    He's a year older and has been bothered intermittently by plantar fasciitis the last two seasons reportedly. When he's playing 80%+ of snaps his productivity drops off a lot. If he's limited to 60% or so he could still be effective in a rotation. I do agree that $8.5m seems steep for that scenario in a 34 yo player but I guess they had the cap space to do it.

I'm really surprised that of the "big 3" vet sack artists who were out there that Jared Allen is the only one still unsigned. He's 2 years younger than Pep, isn't injured like Ware, and his production numbers are still pretty damn impressive.

• Like Like x 1
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas
    Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,155ß
    I hope I am wrong, but I think Peppers will have new life in GB

4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,569ß
    I think Allen is asking for a lot more then the others are, and has already said he won't play for less then what he wants. Peppers and Ware took what they could, Allen is waiting.

5. The Benjamin

Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,155ß
    And ultimately that could cost him millions. As teams fill up their roster, the need for him goes down.

He could end up playing for much less than he wants. Maybe with the Bears if he gets cheap enough

6. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,569ß
    Thats the thing Benj, if he doesn't get what he wants he's happy to retire, unlike Urlacher, he's not going to be a whiny brat about it.

7. The Benjamin

Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,155ß
    He will play next year, for less than he wants. No player walks away while they think they can still play at top level

8. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,569ß
    Robert Smith and Bary Sanders Disagree w/you, and that's just off the top of my head.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Benjamin

Staff Member

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,155ß
    Fair point. Should have said it's rare. Most players try to hold on even after they have fallen off the cliff

10. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,744ß
    Yep. I didn't consider this good new. The Packers seldom make moves on free agents but pimping the Bears or the Vikes is always high on their list so......... Teams now must spend 95% of their cap so using that $133 mil figure the Pack has to spend $126 mil and change. Since Raji only got $4 mil on a one year deal and they weren't pursuing anyone else unless it was Allen that deal for Pep was more than affordable.

As a rotational guy playing a more limited number of snaps he can still be a dominating rusher. He proved that a couple of times last year. He'll be a tough opponent. One of those guys you'd rather play with than against. But, there was no way to keep him even for $8.5 mil and still have the cap space needed to rebuild without restructuring the deals for Cutler, Jennings, Gould or Slauson they did earlier and they seem hesitant to do that.

So should we have done that and kept him? I don't know. It wouldn't have made very good economic sense but when you look at what certain teams do in order to have the best shot at winning a championship you have to wonder if Emery will ever be willing to go the distance. Elway spent a lot of money on beefing up the Broncos defense knowing they only have another year or two to win a SB before Manning is done. For the Bears it may be the three year window that coincides with the number of years Cutler receives his guaranteed money and the years remaining on Emery and Trestman's contracts.

Maybe Emery needs to be thinking more about that. At times he seems to be too willing to let aging but still productive players go before he has a competent replacement for them. He talks about a player like Willie Young having huge upside yet the guy is a 28 year old former 7th round pick whose yet to show it. Same thing with David Bass another former 7th round pick who even Oakland gave up on for God's sake. Now add Cornelius Washington who was a 6th round pick and this is the bunch who'll be competing to replace Pep???? Frankly I'd be more enthused if even one of these long shots Emery has taken has shown any previous signs of breaking out but it really not there.

Bill Polian made a comment to "Moon" Mullins about the salary cap forcing GMs to decide whether to style their team around a dominant offense or a dominant defense because it's impossible to afford both. Phil Emery seems bent on creating a dominant offense and pairing it with a middle of the road defense and yet it's the team with the dominant defense who usually wins the SB as Seattle proved once again. That prompted John Elway to spend the money for Talib (even when he could have re-signed Rogers-Cromartie) and overspend for Ware. That last move took care of any chance that Pep or Jared Allen would end up hat in hand asking for a one year deal with the Bears.

We'll see how it all works out but so far I don't see Emery's moves to shore up that defense as being monumental as much as I do being improvements in both quality and quantity and yet still lacking in impact type game changers. He still has the draft to add some force to that side of the ball and in the final analysis we won't know how well this all works out until next January but I'm still left wondering if his focus isn't where it should be. I'll be glad to give him an A for his efforts to rebuild a moribund offense but so far he's earned no more than a C as far as the defense goes.

• Like Like x 1