Bears Sign Peanut Tillman To 1 yr deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by a_miljan, Mar 11, 2014.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68 Hall of Famer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,336ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    I hear ya, Soul, and its always tough to walk that fine line in knowing when to walk away economically and when to go "all in". Realistically, it would have taken some serious cap-gymnastics to keep Pep now that we have seen what other teams were willing to pay him and Ware (Allen too probably coming up).

It's pretty clear to me that Emery is choosing to "take your medicine" cap-wise upfront in 2014. He cut Podlesh, Bush, and Peppers and chose to eat all the dead cap this year rather than spreading it over two. Cutler's contract is front-loaded with the biggest hit by far coming this year. He's resisted the temptation to use the signing bonus conversion option in the Slauson, Jennings, or Cut contracts. Even Tillman he got back on a one-year deal. It seems he's getting the cap-ducks in a row knowing he's gonna be paying big bucks to Marshall and Jeffery coming up.

Even though I hate the idea of seeing JP in a cheesehead uniform, we couldn't really prevent it and I see letting him go as a short-term pain/long-term gain type of thing. I agree unquestionably with you that Emery has to score some hits defensively in this draft. We can't have any more Shea/Hardin type misses or the D will be behind the 8-ball for years to come. Gotta make some Long/Jeffery type successful picks on D this year.

2. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,271ß
    Is Peppers a championship player? He was very good for us, but is he the piece at 35?who would turn our defense around? Is he gonna turn the packers defense around? Who were the impact defensive lineman that were in this free agency that we wouldn't have had to overpay for? Would you rather have signed one "impact" guy, or the group of guys we signed who all individually outperformed anyone we had on defense last year? I'm pretty sure our depth was a problem last year...no? Next year we are going to have resign marshall(or would you like to let him go to sign an aging vet this year?), extend Jeffery, and possibly pay a guy like Collins coming off his prove it deal. Lastly, Denver went all in because 1. They had too, Peyton only has 1, MAYBE two years left. 2. They had the cap room to do it!

• Like Like x 4
  3. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    Tillman and Peppers are two different parts of BEARS history.

One moves forward .. the other goes to HELL !

4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,896ß
    Don't ever let a good story get in the way of facts Butkus

5. BearDown425

BearDown425 Rookie

ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    so glad peanut is back on the team

6. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,207ß
    They do because they seldom pursue any free agents but their own. Thompson isn't big on buying talent vs drafting it and developing it. But they do have to spend 95% of their cap and Raji came cheap so paying, or should we say overpaying, Pep wasn't very hard to do.

7. soulman

soulman Coordinator
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,207ß

I don't doubt that with more limited snaps he'll do some damage Benji. I'm just hoping not much of it is against us. Pep is one of those guys I'd much rather play with than against. At least Bushrod has seen enough of him in practice to know what he's up against.

8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,102ß
    I agree, and I really like this approach. I think we will ultimately see the Bears build a better team that can sustain success. I'm hoping Emery proves to be a reliable draft GM who can continually bring in a high percentage of draft hits. This coupled with the "take your medicine" approach, seems like thoughtful management for sustained success that spans several seasons. It's just a solid formula for success - if - he proves to be a solid draft GM over the years.

9. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß
    I don't disagree that we had to let pep go, just wish he landed with any other team. I do wonder how he will do as an even end in their scheme as his speed rush will be much less used. No, the sky isn't falling but the alternative was we kept pep and THEY signed Houston, that would be much worse for us IMO.

Not to change the subject but I do hope the Bears can wait Allen out and bring his price down a bit. He would be a huge addition and add a still needed pass rush ace to compliment all else we have done. Doubt it will happen but would be awesome IMO.

To Tillman signing, great move. We needed him at that opposite CB spot because we frankly had nobody.

• Like Like x 1
  10. a_miljan

a_miljan Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    736ß
    apparently we didnt need to let Pep go, but he wanted to leave. if he took paycut, same as in GB, he would still be here. So, the thing was to stick to Bears, i just hope he will end up sticking it to Peckers