Bears Sign Peanut Tillman To 1 yr deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by a_miljan, Mar 11, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    I never said he was the weak link, nor did I infer it. He just isn't that good anymore. If they paid him 8-10mil this year to be a rotational guy and not a 3 down player as MP thinks he might be, then they VASTLY overpaid him. And again they aren't the Sea Seahawks or 49'rs Def, that is a team that was mostly healthy and ranked 25th last year.
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    He's a year older and has been bothered intermittently by plantar fasciitis the last two seasons reportedly. When he's playing 80%+ of snaps his productivity drops off a lot. If he's limited to 60% or so he could still be effective in a rotation. I do agree that $8.5m seems steep for that scenario in a 34 yo player but I guess they had the cap space to do it.

I'm really surprised that of the "big 3" vet sack artists who were out there that Jared Allen is the only one still unsigned. He's 2 years younger than Pep, isn't injured like Ware, and his production numbers are still pretty damn impressive.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    251ß
    I hope I am wrong, but I think Peppers will have new life in GB
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    I think Allen is asking for a lot more then the others are, and has already said he won't play for less then what he wants. Peppers and Ware took what they could, Allen is waiting.
  5. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    251ß
    And ultimately that could cost him millions. As teams fill up their roster, the need for him goes down.

He could end up playing for much less than he wants. Maybe with the Bears if he gets cheap enough
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    Thats the thing Benj, if he doesn't get what he wants he's happy to retire, unlike Urlacher, he's not going to be a whiny brat about it.
  7. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    251ß
    He will play next year, for less than he wants. No player walks away while they think they can still play at top level
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    Robert Smith and Bary Sanders Disagree w/you, and that's just off the top of my head.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,618 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    251ß
    Fair point. Should have said it's rare. Most players try to hold on even after they have fallen off the cliff
  10. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    514ß
    Yep. I didn't consider this good new. The Packers seldom make moves on free agents but pimping the Bears or the Vikes is always high on their list so......... Teams now must spend 95% of their cap so using that $133 mil figure the Pack has to spend $126 mil and change. Since Raji only got $4 mil on a one year deal and they weren't pursuing anyone else unless it was Allen that deal for Pep was more than affordable.

As a rotational guy playing a more limited number of snaps he can still be a dominating rusher. He proved that a couple of times last year. He'll be a tough opponent. One of those guys you'd rather play with than against. But, there was no way to keep him even for $8.5 mil and still have the cap space needed to rebuild without restructuring the deals for Cutler, Jennings, Gould or Slauson they did earlier and they seem hesitant to do that.

So should we have done that and kept him? I don't know. It wouldn't have made very good economic sense but when you look at what certain teams do in order to have the best shot at winning a championship you have to wonder if Emery will ever be willing to go the distance. Elway spent a lot of money on beefing up the Broncos defense knowing they only have another year or two to win a SB before Manning is done. For the Bears it may be the three year window that coincides with the number of years Cutler receives his guaranteed money and the years remaining on Emery and Trestman's contracts.

Maybe Emery needs to be thinking more about that. At times he seems to be too willing to let aging but still productive players go before he has a competent replacement for them. He talks about a player like Willie Young having huge upside yet the guy is a 28 year old former 7th round pick whose yet to show it. Same thing with David Bass another former 7th round pick who even Oakland gave up on for God's sake. Now add Cornelius Washington who was a 6th round pick and this is the bunch who'll be competing to replace Pep???? Frankly I'd be more enthused if even one of these long shots Emery has taken has shown any previous signs of breaking out but it really not there.

Bill Polian made a comment to "Moon" Mullins about the salary cap forcing GMs to decide whether to style their team around a dominant offense or a dominant defense because it's impossible to afford both. Phil Emery seems bent on creating a dominant offense and pairing it with a middle of the road defense and yet it's the team with the dominant defense who usually wins the SB as Seattle proved once again. That prompted John Elway to spend the money for Talib (even when he could have re-signed Rogers-Cromartie) and overspend for Ware. That last move took care of any chance that Pep or Jared Allen would end up hat in hand asking for a one year deal with the Bears.

We'll see how it all works out but so far I don't see Emery's moves to shore up that defense as being monumental as much as I do being improvements in both quality and quantity and yet still lacking in impact type game changers. He still has the draft to add some force to that side of the ball and in the final analysis we won't know how well this all works out until next January but I'm still left wondering if his focus isn't where it should be. I'll be glad to give him an A for his efforts to rebuild a moribund offense but so far he's earned no more than a C as far as the defense goes.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    I hear ya, Soul, and its always tough to walk that fine line in knowing when to walk away economically and when to go "all in". Realistically, it would have taken some serious cap-gymnastics to keep Pep now that we have seen what other teams were willing to pay him and Ware (Allen too probably coming up).

It's pretty clear to me that Emery is choosing to "take your medicine" cap-wise upfront in 2014. He cut Podlesh, Bush, and Peppers and chose to eat all the dead cap this year rather than spreading it over two. Cutler's contract is front-loaded with the biggest hit by far coming this year. He's resisted the temptation to use the signing bonus conversion option in the Slauson, Jennings, or Cut contracts. Even Tillman he got back on a one-year deal. It seems he's getting the cap-ducks in a row knowing he's gonna be paying big bucks to Marshall and Jeffery coming up.

Even though I hate the idea of seeing JP in a cheesehead uniform, we couldn't really prevent it and I see letting him go as a short-term pain/long-term gain type of thing. I agree unquestionably with you that Emery has to score some hits defensively in this draft. We can't have any more Shea/Hardin type misses or the D will be behind the 8-ball for years to come. Gotta make some Long/Jeffery type successful picks on D this year.
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Is Peppers a championship player? He was very good for us, but is he the piece at 35?who would turn our defense around? Is he gonna turn the packers defense around? Who were the impact defensive lineman that were in this free agency that we wouldn't have had to overpay for? Would you rather have signed one "impact" guy, or the group of guys we signed who all individually outperformed anyone we had on defense last year? I'm pretty sure our depth was a problem last year...no? Next year we are going to have resign marshall(or would you like to let him go to sign an aging vet this year?), extend Jeffery, and possibly pay a guy like Collins coming off his prove it deal. Lastly, Denver went all in because 1. They had too, Peyton only has 1, MAYBE two years left. 2. They had the cap room to do it!
    • Like Like x 4
  13. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +161 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    Tillman and Peppers are two different parts of BEARS history.

One moves forward .. the other goes to HELL !
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    198ß
    Don't ever let a good story get in the way of facts Butkus
  15. BearDown425

BearDown425 Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    so glad peanut is back on the team
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    514ß
    They do because they seldom pursue any free agents but their own. Thompson isn't big on buying talent vs drafting it and developing it. But they do have to spend 95% of their cap and Raji came cheap so paying, or should we say overpaying, Pep wasn't very hard to do.
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,385 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    514ß

I don't doubt that with more limited snaps he'll do some damage Benji. I'm just hoping not much of it is against us. Pep is one of those guys I'd much rather play with than against. At least Bushrod has seen enough of him in practice to know what he's up against.
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,813 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    I agree, and I really like this approach. I think we will ultimately see the Bears build a better team that can sustain success. I'm hoping Emery proves to be a reliable draft GM who can continually bring in a high percentage of draft hits. This coupled with the "take your medicine" approach, seems like thoughtful management for sustained success that spans several seasons. It's just a solid formula for success - if - he proves to be a solid draft GM over the years.
  19. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    I don't disagree that we had to let pep go, just wish he landed with any other team. I do wonder how he will do as an even end in their scheme as his speed rush will be much less used. No, the sky isn't falling but the alternative was we kept pep and THEY signed Houston, that would be much worse for us IMO.

Not to change the subject but I do hope the Bears can wait Allen out and bring his price down a bit. He would be a huge addition and add a still needed pass rush ace to compliment all else we have done. Doubt it will happen but would be awesome IMO.

To Tillman signing, great move. We needed him at that opposite CB spot because we frankly had nobody.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +260 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    20ß
    apparently we didnt need to let Pep go, but he wanted to leave. if he took paycut, same as in GB, he would still be here. So, the thing was to stick to Bears, i just hope he will end up sticking it to Peckers