Bears Sign Peanut Tillman To 1 yr deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by a_miljan, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Joe Martinez

Joe Martinez Newbie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Mel Trucker's record as a Defensive Coordinator has been: 2013 30th, 2012 30th, 2011 6th, 2010 28th, 2009 23rd. His record speak for itself. The Bears defense this year will be fortunate to rank as high as 23rd. Da Bears released Peppers and Hester signed Houston and Hixon, moved McClellin to Linebacker and signed DE Young and FS Mundy. As it stands right now Da Bears are back where they left off at the end of last year plus the return of Tillman.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,317 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,493ß
    yes b/c those records have nothing to do w/the shitty franchises he was coaching for right? B/c if Lovie Smith was the DC for Cleveland and Jax and didn't have guys like Tillman, Brown, Urlacher, Briggs, Harris, Jennings but had the no names on those teams he would have still had top 10 talent right?
  3. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +916 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    924ß
    :sign believecrap:
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,202 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    574ß
    I've been out of town all weekend and not really watching the news....

I believe I just committed to buying a Tillman jersey. Always was very guarded about the jerseys I've bought. Only HOF'rs, except Urlacher. I'm buying Peanut's.
  5. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,202 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    574ß
  6. Joe Martinez

Joe Martinez Newbie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    My point is with the releases and the free agent's signing Da Bears are no better then last year. How much have the Bears improved since last year?
  7. Joe Martinez

Joe Martinez Newbie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    With the exception of Tillman coming into camp health the Bears' defense will have about the same amount of talent as it did last year. Do you thing Tucker will be able take the group of men he has today and have the defense finish in the top 10 or even the top 20?
  8. little bear

Ratings:
    +916 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    924ß
    No, because Houston and Young weren't there last season. Big difference. :thumb:
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +714 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    498ß
    In all fairness, his first two years in Jacksonville he was dc in nam only, del rio called the defense. In 2011 he got play calling responsibilities and the defense ranked 6th, and in 2012 only 5 defensive starters played all 16 games(sound familiar??!).

The Bears are much better off than where they left off at the end of the season...and it's not even close.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +714 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    498ß
    Have you not paid attention?
    • Like Like x 2
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,317 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,493ß
    Did the NFL draft come and go already and I somehow missed it? What the talent last year going into camp was and what was on the field by week 5 are two COMPLETELY different things, not to mention Paea, Melton, DJ Williams, Peppers all missed significant time last year during pre season and training camp for various reasons. For as bad as Mundy is, he still ranked better then both Conte/Wright at S, so he's still a huge improvement over what we had. Jennings/Tillman are back and before the injury Tillman and DJ LB/CB were the lone strengths on the team. Ratfliff/Collins both played fine last year, Peppers was mostly a no show, as was Shea, but They've been replaced w/2 new players.

As of right now the talent might be equal but the age is MUCH lower and the health should be MUCH better, and you still have the draft to shore up other areas so the D should be vastly improved; not top 10 mind you, but the team isn't going for top 10 D's anymore, all their resources are going to the O side of the ball. If his D isn't in the top 20 range Tucker's job is on the line, so that is what I'm expecting w/the new faces and the draft, not today's D, but the D they put onto the field in Sept, and it's not going to look like it does today.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. Billie Murray

Billie Murray Rookie

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    This news made my week! Love Peanut always under-rated only over the past few years has he gotten his due!

Bears better with Peanut than without. Let's hope Emery drafts D this year like he drafted O last pulling out a 5th Round starter!:7_4_14[1]:
    • Like Like x 1
  13. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Or Emery and Tucker didn't want him back. When asked about him Emery never committed one word to saying he definitely wanted him back like he did with a few others. All he would say it that it was a contract issue (that was a big hint coming from him) and that it was a process and when it was time to deal with they would and they did.

My gut feeling is even though they may have stretched a bit to match a $7.5 mil guaranteed one year deal they would not have agreed to three years for $30 mil. Even if they released him with the message to go out and get your best offer and we'll try to match it (and we don't know for sure they didn't) I can't see them doing three years although regardless of what his deal with the Pack says it is it's still just a one year deal for $8.5 mil with $7.5 guaranteed. He could be gone next year.

Maybe Phil should have used that same strategy I don't know but some may consider it less than kosher. Pep isn't foolish enough to believe he's assured of getting that whole $30 mil anymore than he was the $84 mil his Bears deal called for. I believe it was more or less a mutual parting of the ways. Pep was looking elsewhere and Emery wasn't gonna sacrifice other plans to keep him. IMHO if it came down to either Pep or Peanut I'm glad we took Peanut.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

It's not the signings of those FAs that bother me Joe. It's more the fact that they decided to retain Tucker when nothing in his past history, including last year, indicated to me that he deserved a second chance. His best year (2011/6th) came under Jack Del Rio whose a great defensive HC but then Del Rio did let him call the defensive signals that one year and then of course he was fired and came here to Denver.

In 2012 he had a lot if injury problems in JAX and again here last year. Maybe the guy is snake bit and at least a few of the vets claim that it wasn't his lousy play calling but more a complete breakdown and a lack of execution of the plays that were called. So we really don't know what the deal is. I'm not happy about it, and I swear we're all gonna be having another "Fire Tuckerfest" next January too, but he's here for this year. I don't think there's a way to do worse but I also don't think he can mount a top ten defense either at championships are won by teams with defenses like that. So all we can do is hope.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. little bear

Ratings:
    +916 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    924ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4691121/tillmans-return-surprises-briggs

Tillman's return surprises Briggs

CHICAGO -- Veteran cornerback Charles Tillman's decision to return to the Chicago Bears on a one-year deal even surprised his closest friend on the team.
    Seven-time Pro Bowl weakside linebacker Lance Briggs told ESPN 1000's "Carmen and Jurko Show" on Monday he was positive Tillman and Lovie Smith would reunite in Tampa when the cornerback made an official visit to the Bucs at the onset of free agency.

However, talks between Tillman and the Buccaneers went nowhere. Tillman left Tampa's facility without an offer and within 48 hours the two-time Pro Bowl defensive back had agreed to terms on a new one-year contract with the Bears.

"He called me pretty often during this whole time period just to get my opinion on things," Briggs said. "I would call him and see how he felt and when he told me he had a trip to Tampa and I saw Darrelle Revis had been released, I thought it was pretty much a sure thing. I actually sent him a text that I wished him well and tell Lovie I say hi. I thought it was over. Then the next day I wake up and I get texts on my phone that Peanut re-signed. I'm over here screaming and then I called him and we had a long talk about stuff. I'm just happy he's back.

"I'm probably the happiest man in Chicago."
    But Briggs lamented the current situation of free-agent defensive tackle Henry Melton, who is visiting the Dallas Cowboys on Monday after making previous stops in Minnesota and Seattle. The Bears have never ruled out the idea of re-signing Melton, but it's clear the club is not going to set the market for the three-technique defensive tackle, who played in just three games last year before tearing his ACL. Melton received the franchise tag last offseason and counted $8,454,725 against the Bears' salary cap in 2013.

"Henry Melton is coming off of ACL surgery in a season where he got tagged," Briggs said. "He had no complaints about it. He said he was coming in to play. Remember years back when I got tagged and said I didn't want to play because there are no guarantees past this year and if I get hurt I'll lose money. I wanted a long-term deal. People were calling me selfish for not taking the money, but now you watch Henry Melton go down.

Henry is still on the board as far as free agency goes and he's going to lose money. Football is a business, and for us players, we always have to protect ourselves the best we can. For him, I hope he gets the best possible deal that he can on a good team that can make a run for a championship. He deserves it."

--------------------
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +714 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    498ß
    You state you don't think he can call a top 10 defense...even though his first year calling defensive plays in Jacksonville he did it with a defense that was ranked 28th(plays called by the "great defensive HC" Jack Del Rio) the year before. If the defense stays healthy this year and still stinks, and the play calling is poor...I'm all for firing the guy.
  17. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß

All the red bolded are my thoughts exactly soul. I did not think Tucker deserved a 2nd chance either. Last season was equally as big of a defensive failure as Tice's year at OC IMO. I don't know why they brought him back. I have theories, but no real evidence to back them up so I'm not even going to go there. I hope I'm wrong but I have a bad feeling that even with all the resources that Emery will likely continue to spend to revamp this defense we will see much of the same last year. That last play of the GB game Briggs and Trestman had contradicting statements about what defense they were in in the post game presser. Players not jumping on that loose ball. Just a few of many points that all seems to illustrate bad coaching. Just my opinion though, really hope I'm eating crow come January.
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +714 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    498ß
    To compare what happened on defense last year to what happened on offense with Tice is a bad way to go about forming an opinion. The differences in circumstances are obvious. Further, Lovie got fired, so Tice got fired...if Lovie had been kept, Tice probably would have still been the OC last year. Lastly, when interviewed the players themselves said in practice they are coached to pick up every ball that hits the ground. I don't know how one can deduce bad coaching when a unit is obliterated by injury like that defense was.

"There has never been a time this whole year where I've blown the whistle in practice and the ball was on the ground that we didn't pick it up and scoop and score with it," Trestman said. "For me to try to explain why that happened, I really can't at this time because we've never allowed the ball to sit on the ground like that at any time in practice."

‘‘That was just us being lackadaisical,’’ said Bears cornerback Tim Jennings. ‘‘Obviously, a whistle didn’t blow. That’s not what we practice. We’ve always been [taught], if the ball is on the ground, that’s our ball. ‘‘We practice that as much as we did last year,’’ he said. ‘‘[Whether] Lovie was here or not, we still practice that. We can’t allow that to happen. We still should finish that and I think every man will hold himself accountable, even myself, to get that football and [force] the refs to make a decision.’’