Bears Sign QB Jimmy Clausen

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Jun 5, 2014.

1. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    No official word from the Bears or his agent but Clausen says he has been signed per twitter.

Have to wonder what this means for Fales and Palmer.

A corresponding roster move will need to be made.

Another interesting note. Marc Trestman helped prepare Clausen for the 2010 draft 4 years ago.
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,317 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,493ß
    hopefully nothing...clausen is worse then mccown
  3. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    157ß
    I can't even see Claussen as a camp arm. Yikes.
  4. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    I understand that Clausen sucks but you have to think that the Bears will give him every opportunity.

Especially considering they will need to cut another player to bring on a 5th QB.

Not to mention Trestman's history with Clausen. Maybe Marc sees something in him that others can't/won't.
  5. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    This has to be experience related.

Clausen has 299 NFL attempts.

Jordan Palmer has 15 NFL attempts.

And of course David Fales and Jerrod Johnson have 0 attempts.
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I think what it may have to do with is some reports that Fales has at times show less than an impressive throwing arm in OTAs so far so we bring in a little more competition for the #3 spot. Despite his size apparently Jerrod Johnson doesn't have much of a gun either.

I think this may have more to do with those two than it does Palmer who I still believe has a firm grip on the #2 spot. If anyone else is a strong prospect they'll need to take it away from him and I don't think either Fales or Johnson is even close to doing that.

Guess we can wait for it to become official and then see what the coaching staff and Emery have to say about it. We probably shouldn't be expecting much.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    I agree with this. I did see where Fales was quote "throwing too many knuckle balls" in OTAs.
  8. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    Linebacker Lawrence Wilson was waived to make room fir Clausen.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Right now it never hurts to have a "look see" at anybody whose had some starting experience at QB. There's no harm in bringing Clausen in and letting him show what he's got. The LB we released wasn't likely to make the team anyhow and given Phil Emery's constant search for upgrading the back end of the roster I expect we'll see a lot more of this kind of thing before the offseason is over.
  10. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,054 / 7 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,296ß
    goodbye linebacker Lawrence Wilson hello Clausen
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,368 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    396ß
    I'm not going to write too much into this as I think Clausen is nothing more than a #3 or "call back" candidate. But....what it does say is a NO CONFIDENCE vote thus far in Fales and Johnson.

I understand it's very very early but apparently Fales was throwing more dead ducks around in OTAs than Phil Robertson on the first day of hunting season. As I feared from a (wasted?) 6th round pick on a small school QB with a rep for a noodle arm.

Way too soon to predict but until I'm shown otherwise I'm sticking with Emery's stated rule that QBs picked after the 3rd or so are pretty much 100% trash. We could have used that pick on another DB or WR or RB or OL where it's not uncommon to find promising talents even late in the draft.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Meh, most 6th rounders are wasted picks no matter what position they play anyway. We don't have all that many positions that don't already have a starter and some previously drafted or recently signed depth so why not a QB? If we lacked some 3rd tier depth anywhere it was probably there anyway.

If it turns out that Clausen actually has a better arm than Fales I have to wonder why Cavanaugh was as high on his as he was. He may be nothing more than another guy to put into the #3 mix but unless Trestman knows something we don't because he's worked with the guy Fales would have to pretty damn hopeless for a guy like Jimmy Clausen to take out.

I'm more on the side of them wanting another vet with starting experience around who knows the offense well enough to play backup to Palmer in the event we need a guy like that. That makes more sense than to think they've soured that much on Fales this fast.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +694 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    401ß
    When you have the QB whisper I say bring in 10 more QBs. No but seriously I like this they see a possible issue at the back end so its time to make some moves. Now is the time to do these changes not during the season and we go oops who's #3 now. I am so much happier knowing our GM doesn't stick to a failed pick just because he picked the guy, that shit happens it's how you respond to the shit that makes you great or not. It just gives me the warm and fuzzies knowing we finally have competent guys running the show that really know what the fuk they're doing.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +483 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    I think we may be reading too much into this. I mean we have Cutler, and 3 completely unproven guys. At least Clausen has played in the league, and threw passes (Ok, I know Palmer has thrown a whopping 15.)

IMO this is just another body. As much as we want training camp to be here and real battles and good storylines to follow, we are talking about OTAs. A first impression is about all we can get on guys. I don't think a few OTAs is going to shake Trestys confidence in Palmer, Fales, or anyone else for this matter.

As for now, its another guy. The entire QB roster behind Cutler is a cluster****, so why not just add another guy, kick the tires.
  15. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    I'm very cool with this. Let's see if Trestman can bring something forth in him and catch fire.
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +714 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    499ß
    I'm cool with it. The kid had a lot of hype about him at one point in time. Maybe Trestman can save him and he'll be a good #2 for us eventually. It can't hurt...it can only help.
  17. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I think something will shake out on this in the next week or so.

I believe there is 1 more week of OTAs next week and then a three day mini-camp before TC. Just my personal opinion, I don't see 5 QBs going in to TC.
  18. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +916 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    924ß
    Good move. Clausen knows how it's like to be a starting QB in the NFL and is definitely not worse than Palmer, Fales and Johnson. Give him a chance, it can't hurt to have a more experienced backup QB in the mix.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß
    I would NEVER discount ANY late round pick (6th round or later) as "oh well most 6th rounders fail anyway" because you just never know:

http://www.nfl.com/photoessays/09000d5d8286886b

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1140648-48-best-late-round-nfl-draft-picks-of-all-time

Hell you dont even have to be drafted to be a pretty damn good player. There are more UDFAs than #1 overall picks in the HOF. Here are the best UDFAs each position since 2002:

http://www.footballperspective.com/the-best-undrafted-players-to-enter-the-nfl-since-2002/
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  20. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,317 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,493ß
    again don't take reports you hear from OTA's as anything monumental, the reporters are allowed in 1x a week, it's as much of a chance they see a guy have his 1 bad day of ota's as it is they see a guy have his 1 good day.
    • Like Like x 2