Bears Sign QB Jimmy Clausen

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Jun 5, 2014.

1. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    Was just reading a bit on Clausen and found this little snippet.

"Analysts attributed his slide to his cocky demeanor and "persnickety smirkness."[31]"

Did we just sign Cutler Jr.? lol I'm with most everyone else. The guy has some talent despite how his career has gone so far. Why not let the QB guru give him a shot?
    • Like Like x 2
  2. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree. It doesn't hurt to see what we can get out of Clausen w/the QB whisperer.

Hell Clausen has more physical talent McCown and Trestman made him put up Pro Bowl type numbers. It'll be interesting to see what he can get out of Clausen.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    44ß
    I read an article yesterday that was talking about how the Panthers never really gave Clausen a chance or something, he had some playing time and played some games yes but no weapons to really work with to show what he can do and when the Panthers did get some offensive weapons they drafted Cam Newton and he took over which left Clausen on the back burner (which is kind of messed up if you ask me).......I really hope he gets a chance to shine with the offensive weapons the Bears have and show what he can do, if he out plays Palmer for the #2 spot then i'm all for it but in my opinion I think it'll end up being Cutler, Clausen and Palmer when the final roster spots are set.

I think Trestman sees something in Clausen us as fans don't, if anybody can make a qb better is him.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,990 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,006ß
    I remember watching Clausen in college, he was WAY over hyped, I wasn't impressed at all, seeing him in Car, weapons or no gave me the same feeling that I had when he was at ND.

I honestly thought Quinn was a better qb then Clausen.
  5. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    I almost choked on my tongue because the first QB named Quinn I thought of was Jonathan Quinn. I'm guessing you're referring to Brady, though. lol
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +935 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    497ß

If Trestman can transform McCown, what can he do with this kid..
  7. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree 100%. Clausen has more physical tools than McCown ever did. Trestman had McCown putting up pro bowl type numbers. He should be able to work with Clausen.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,990 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,006ß
    that's the thing Ski, it's all based on Trestie and his ability to transform qb's.
  9. BelieveInMonsters

Ratings:
    +198 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Looks like the Bears may have an issue with Jordan Palmer. He was isolated to individual drills in OTAs:

• Clausen intriguing pick in backup QB derby
    • [​IMG] [​IMG]
    • By Michael C. Wright | June 6, 2014 1:40:19 PM PDT
    Chicago's addition of veteran Jimmy Clausen on Thursdayadded a level of intrigue to the competition for the job as the primary backup to quarterback Jay Cutler.

[​IMG]
    Clausen

Jordan Palmer appeared to be the front runner to seize that gig. But for undisclosed reasons, he participated only in the individual portion of the club's last session of organized team activities, which were open to the media. Two days later, the Bears bring in Clausen for a workout at Halas Hall and make the decision to sign him.

It's also interesting that Bears coach Marc Trestman played a role in preparing Clausen for the 2010 NFL draft.

So what did the team like about Clausen? Quite a bit, actually. First off, Clausen produced a strong workout for Trestman and the club's scouting staff. The way Clausen tossed the pill -- with a tight spin and good accuracy -- gave pretty much everyone in attendance confidence the quarterback is fully healthy after undergoing shoulder surgery last September to repair a torn right labrum suffered during the 2013 preseason finale against the Pittsburgh Steelers.

The team likes Clausen's football smarts, and solid mechanics, too. Remember, Trestman is a stickler for mechanics and fundamentals. Clausen's mental toughness also played into the team's decision to bring him aboard.

As a second-round pick by the Carolina Panthers out of Notre Dame, Clausen started in 10 games as a rookie, but threw for just three touchdowns and nine interceptions in 13 outings. The Panthers finished the 2010 season, fired the coach, and later used the No. 1 pick of the draft to select Cam Newton.

Clausen never took another regular-season snap in Carolina.

To push through the lack of success as a rookie, after being a highly-touted player throughout college and going into the draft, the shoulder injury, and the Panthers drafting Newton, Clausen showed a level of resilience and mental toughness the Bears appreciated. Throw in Clausen's experience: He's 26, and like Palmer, is going into his fifth season. Yet Clausen has thrown 284 more passes than Palmer, with 147 more completions for 1,499 yards.

Clausen further helped his cause with a good session on the board with the coaches, and a positive personal interview with them.

The team's plan is to carry a minimum of five quarterbacks through the end of veteran minicamp, which wraps up on June 19. As it stands now, the roster features five signal-callers in Cutler, Palmer, Clausen, Jerrod Johnson, and rookie sixth-round pickDavid Fales.

Emery said in March the team would “look at the draft for an opportunity to add to our quarterback roster,” and made good on that with the selection of Fales. In the very next breath, Emery mentioned the club would “bring in a bunch of veterans” after free agency, “take a look at who's still looking for an opportunity, and we'll bring them in, try them out, and we may sign another one.” The Clausen signing takes care of that one.

Now it's time to just sit back and watch how it all plays out.

Over the past four seasons, Cutler has missed 13 regular-season games because of injuries, and that doesn't include other games he was unable to finish. So recent history tells us at some point the backup quarterback will have to take some snaps. Now, it's all about determining who that player will be in 2014.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,990 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,006ß
    Palmer working individual drills might have only been b/c the team was satisfied w/what they saw and wanted to see Jordan and Fales.

If the team planned on carrying 5, then this really isn't about how the other qb's played but an intentional plan to continue the idea of competition, even on the back end of the roster.
  11. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    persnickety! lol...thats a funny word!
    • Like Like x 2
  12. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,609ß
    LOL, yeah I remember what a little prick he was before he was drafted but my guess is his lack of success may have cut him down to size. I'm sure he got the same one year vet minimum offer that Emery would have made to any vet who he thought might be able to come in and compete for a spot.

In the strictest sense Clausen isn't much more than a developmental prospect himself which is what I actually think they had in mind when they signed him. He's just one whose a little more advanced as far as his knowledge and experience in the NFL game. I don't have a problem with them bringing him in.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,609ß
    Hmm, maybe I've got it wrong. Maybe it's Palmer whose been less than overwhelming so far. Well I guess we'll find out as time passes. Emery did say they would be looking at other vet QBs to add.

Frankly I'm surprise by the report about his as far as his mechanics and his throws. He must have improved because one thing I noticed about him earlier in his career is that he didn't throw a pretty ball. He had a lot of wobble in his passes which is not a good thing when you play in the wind in Chicago. Of course McMahon didn't throw a very pretty pass either but he made it work alright.

It's one of those things were Trestman knows the kid fairly well from his work with him so certainly he knows what he's capable of. If he has the basic tools and it's only a matter of mechanics and decision making those can be fixed. Cavanaugh did a good job straightening some of Cutler's problems around so if Clausen has the tools to play in the NFL he's probably worth some effort.

Lord knows with the receivers we have if he can just learn to keep it high and get it somewhere near then there's a good chance it'll be a completion. Man am I ever glad we're done with that band of midgets we used to have.
  14. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß

Soul.. get with the times; they are now called LITTLE PEOPLE.... :)
    • Like Like x 3
  15. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +114 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    So now we have to call Rex Grossman a mental little person?
    • Like Like x 2
  16. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,609ß

Oooops! LOL

Well if they actually were midg....um.......I mean Little People my comment would be very politically incorrect wouldn't it?. But those guys were ordinary NFL players who where a bit "vertically challenged". :bah:

:13 4 9[1]:
  17. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    I can't believe I forgot about The Mental Midget!! Of course we can call him that.

I actually learned about the Little People on a CSI episode, believe it or not. It was actually really well done; informative and a cast full of little people! It was quite fascinating.

But Rex was granted the title of Mental Midget. Didn't Rivera make that up?
    • Like Like x 2
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,388 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    806ß
    I went back and read his 2010 scouting report (see below). It sounds like he could potentially be a good fit for our Trestman offense. I like the fact that the Bears keep trying to upgrade our depth quality. And competition (true competition now) is a really good thing.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,867 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,609ß

Wow! What's that scout doing for a living these days? Hopefully he's got all those tools but no one has seen much of them yet.
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,990 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,006ß
    wow...just..wow. That report is as laughable as ESPN's rating of the Bears team.

If the Bears can root up 1/2 of that out of Clausen he'll be a great find.