Bears Sign QB Jimmy Clausen

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Jun 5, 2014.

1. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    621ß
  2. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +246 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    208ß
    At first I thought picking him up was a detour that could distrupt the cohesion of the offensive unit. But after looking into his background further, he may have some mileage left. There are two things that are interesting, he seems to look relaxed in the pocket and focus on letting the play progress downfield. He doesn't seem to constantly look over his sholder for the rushing defense. Second he can also throw the ball well, although it looks like he needs to add some consistancy. Who knows, he may be gone by September.
  3. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    Clausen's had a lot of surgeries for being 26. Throwing arm elbow in college. Torn labrum in 2013. Two right foot surgeries in 2010. What are this guy's ligaments made out of, rubber bands?

He's been on an NFL roster for four years. Got one year of starter attention, and three years of neglect. If he can motivate himself to study the playbook, he could push to be on the roster. I'm curious about the intention to carry 5 QB's thing.

This statement right here concerns me: Clausen told USA Today he believes "right now is the healthiest I've been since my junior year in college."

Well, what the hell was he doing from 2011 to 2013 on Carolina's depth chart that he wasn't healthy? Maybe it's just flashbacks from Tommie Harris days, when he would tell reporters he's super healthy in May then a couple months later when he was playing bad say that he just had surgery.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +487 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    As of right now he has as good of a chance at the number 2 as anyone else on this roster. Ya know, it may or may not work out come TC but again, I like the way this new regime rolls. We bring in anyone available who can possibly be alright, and let the best man win camp battles. Not the old way that went, "uh...here ya go bud...your the only one we have..so..uhh..dont suck."
  5. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I don't know of one player who won't lie about his health before and during the preseason when he's out there fighting for a job that requires him to be at 100% to do it well. They all say that so I tend to take it with a grain of salt. If they're 100% they'll play like it and if not then sooner or later it will become reason #1 why they aren't playing well.

The list of available vet QBs to bring in for a look was pretty dismal so Clausen is probably as good a choice as any. FWIW Emery has never been comfortable going into the season without a vet backup ergo his reason for signing Campbell two years ago when he didn't believe McCown had enough recent playing experience to handle it at that time.

It looks like somewhat the same deal now. Palmer has almost nada for NFL game experience and neither of the other two has any so Clausen at least has some. They may still be comfortable with Palmer but now they have a vet to compete with him whereas before all they had were two inexperienced rookie types. I can see the wisdom of it even if it does mean 5 arms in camp.

Cutler will be the guy working with the #1 offense and the others will work with the #2s to see what shakes out. They may end up keeping Palmer and Clausen on the roster and Fales goes to the PS if he clears waivers or maybe between Palmer and Clausen only ones makes it. Tough to say right now but Clausen is still very young and based on his college career at the very least he may a worthwhile guy for Trestman to try to develop. He doesn't seem to have had much of that at the NFL level.

I don't see it as being much of an issue or something to read a whole lot into. Emery keeps saying he won't ever stop doing whatever it takes to upgrade the roster and he did say they'd try to bring in vet QBs so this fits into both those scenarios.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,049 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,771ß
    I initially thought Clausen was a joke pickup. And he may be. But when I read about what he got into with the Panthers, I can see that it was a perfect storm for failure for Clausen (at that time). I realize many will not buy into that statement, but I think he could be a decent talent, especially for a solid backup role for us. Time will tell. But he seems like he COULD be more gifted than any other QB on our roster other than Cutler.

I keep going back to the fact that we have a pretty solid talent in Trestman when it comes to evaluating and developing QB's. He wouldn't bring this guy in and sign him unless he saw something in this guy that could help our team be better. Man, the guy seems perfect for a Trestman offense. At least on paper.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,049 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,771ß
    Keep in mind this is from 2010. I try to factor in what happened to Clausen in Carolina and come to a realistic idea of his potential in 2014 under Marc Trestman, and in a Trestman offense. And I keep telling myself (reminding myself) that we're not talking about a guy to be our franchise QB, like Clausen was initially expected to be in Carolina. We're looking for a backup QB. Someone who can perform at a McCown level here. That bar is pretty low IMHO. McCown, coupled with our coach, scheme and solid player-weapons, did fine. I think Clausen may be a similar pickup - and possibly better than the other backup QB's on the roster right now.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Don't be stupid, throw to who's open. Let your playmakers make plays. If he can handle that then he'll be a fine #2 for Tresty.
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,049 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,771ß
    One last thought regarding Trestman and QB's for the Bears. We assume he's wanting a young QB to develop for our backup role. But maybe he prefers the McCown model here, if a solid guy is available. Fans (me included) get excited when we draft a guy like Fales. But maybe Trestman can see a guy like Clausen (at a young age of 26) as a better talent for the backup role. Palmer gave them a floor backup QB talent. Fales was worth rolling the dice on for a 6th round pick (any sixth rounder is a hit or miss thing).

Trestman and Emery may have felt before the draft, that if we entered the season with (worst case) Palmer at #2, then we were probably okay. But they've been pretty honest and transparent about saying they would always be open to bringing in better talent. So, maybe they see Clausen's floor AND ceiling as better than what we now have at backup.

It is important to note that we fans look at a guys past when we look at a guy like Clausen. Trestman isn't a fan. He looks at a players potential once he can bring him in and mould him to play in HIS offense with HIS scheme and with HIS offensive supporting players. It's a totally different view than for us meatball fans who want to point to the Carolina Panthers season where Clausen had a bad rookie experience.
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Yeah I think fans expect too much out of rookie QB's. Players like Luck aren't the norm and even if those type of plug and play starters are becoming more available I still don't think throwing a rook to the wolves usually plays out well for anyone. Sometimes a player takes a few years to come around and fulfill their perceived potential. The jump from college to the pros is a big one and sometimes it takes awhile. Just because someone isn't an all-star their first 1-3 years doesn't mean they can't turn it around later. Look at Chris Long, he never had high sack numbers until like year 4 or so. Look at Tim Jennings, he was a cheap pick up in FA and turned into a back to back Pro Bowl CB for us. You never know, sometimes a change of scenery is good.

May the best man win, I love the competition we have compared to years prior. It's prevalent throughout the roster, top to bottom. Good stuff.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,617 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,819ß

I'm not saying the kid has 0 talent, not much but not 0 either, i'm just saying that walter scouting on him was WAY to glowing; that's the stuff you right about Luck or Adrian Petersen, who were a sure fire, not a guy like Clausen, who wasn't overly impressive in college.

ya he might have more talent then any of the other backups, but it might well be a knock against the others more then a + for Clausen.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,617 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,819ß
    I fully trust Trestie on his roster, just not fretting the idea that Clausen is somehow coming in b/c of the lack of talent behind Cutler more then the team likes to have 5 guys on the TC roster
  13. TarheelBear

TarheelBear Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    At the very least at it will be good competition for backup Qb roll, and 3rd Qb if we keep one. Clausen kinda got thrown to the wolves as rookie Matt Moore was actually starting Qb in carolina and he went down early with injury. After that season was so bad and Fox and gm were on there way out door anyways. clauson never had chance after that not sure he fit the New system anyways. By no means do i expect Clausen to replace jay, but if he beats Palmer for the job I am not gonna loose sleep over it.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

I'm down with it. Uncle Phil said he was gonna do stuff like this when the opportunities arose so he's just following through on his pledge to make attempts to upgrade wherever he can. I'm glad to see it. I made the comment I did mainly because if he was a NC scout or that was the scouting report they depended on I'm sure they came away disappointed but hey at 26 the kid's career may be far from over and like all these failures he's a bargain if it works out.

What this reminds me of is bargain shopping for effects pedals for guitars. A lot of guys keep searching for something they think is in a box with a circuit board and wires instead of their heads and their fingers so they race out and spend $150-$200 to buy the latest hot item all the reviewers say will make them sound like Jimi Hendrix. A month later they still suck and think it must be that pedal so they sell it on Ebay for $50-$75 and start looking for the next one.

Emery is good at finding football players like those bargain pedals. A little used but they may still be very useful to someone who knows what to do with them.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    In support of the idea we can all go back to Emery's comments about how few QB drafted after the first couple of rounds ever become NFL starters. Of course then he goes out and drafts a 6th round guy and some scratch their heads. It not all that tough to read what's happened.

Fales isn't expected to ever become a starter. If it happens, like it did with Brady, it's pure dumb luck. So out there sits Clausen who was a 2nd round pick and he does fit the profile of becoming a potential starter but it's gonna take some work for that to happen if it happens at all.

By Phil's own metrics of the four backup QB prospects Clausen would be the only one who has a fighting chance of ever becoming a starter. I'm not saying that will ever happen but it fits with the thinking Emery spoke about before the draft. So Clausen is just a backup prospect who may have the potential to start someday.

It may never happen but he may end up becoming a higher level backup than any of the other just like McCown did. Hey all they did was hand him a one year non-guaranteed deal and a playbook to learn so far. Anything else he has to earn.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,049 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,771ß
    That's a perfect way to look at it. Agree 100%.

I am amazed by how relentless Emery/Trestman are in pursuing better depth. Angelo/Lovie seemed to be more focused on bringing in the team and rolling with that, and cutting the roster down to the eventual 53.

The Emery/Trestman model is to relentlessly pursue, even incremental upgrades. And they do this all year round. It never stops. Some may think this is overkill and say it's not going to be THAT big of an improvement, so why keep bringing in guys to kick the tires on. But I think this is just one of many things that winners do to be winners - the little things DO matter in the bigger scheme of things. A guy like Clausen may be a only a teeny bit better than say Fales or Palmer. But maybe he ends up being just enough better that it means a win later this year rather than a loss - if Cutler goes down to injury. Maybe it's just that one completed pass in a game that moves the chains and ends up in a score to win the game. Or heck, maybe Clausen doesn't do squat and fails to make the 53 man roster.....and the others do. That's still good IMHO. You light a fire under these guys with healthy competition - something Lovie really didn't promote as well as he could have.
    • Like Like x 2
  17. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +246 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    208ß
    I have come around to like the constant pursuit of the right player. I thought it may alienate players, but based on the interviews it seems like it has invigorated the team. We still need to see the organization deliver post season results, but I feel more confident we are on the right path.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    Then why spend the pick on Fales if Clausen was available and Trestman had his eye on him? I think Palmer may be dinged up and we need an arm for a bit.
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    509ß
    Competition is a good thing. It's not like it costs us much at this point. They released a udfa player to make room who had little chance of making the team anyway.

I'm guessing they will end up keeping 3 QBs on the final roster with possibly a 4th on the PS (3 + 1). It could end up being some other combo like 2 + 1 or 3 + 0. My guess is JJ is most likely to be an "odd man out" given that he's the only one with zero time on a 53 man NFL roster and who went undrafted. Maybe Clausen makes the team and pushes Fales to the PS (assuming he clears waivers), maybe he will end up being cut as a "call back" guy in case there's a mid-season injury. Who knows.

It will be interesting to me to see how they handle Fales. I don't see much point in expending a draft pick on a QB if you're not going to invest more than one rookie offseason to groom him and see what you have or don't have. It's tough to get a drafted QB to the PS and keep him there all year so if they don't make a spot for him on the final 53, he may get signed away and then you've in effect spent a pick for another teams benefit. In other words, if he's not worth keeping why did you draft him in the first place?

Anyway, this all is just something trivial for us to talk about in the doldrums of June. The Bears QB situation is going to sink or swim 99% on Jay Cutler. He needs to take another step forward in his game (ball security especially) AND stay healthy. Bottom line. He got the big multi-year contract, now he needs to produce like it. Hard to do that sitting on the bench.

We caught lightning in a bottle with McCown last year and that's not likely to become a regular thing. The most you can realistically hope for with your backup QB/QBs is to get you a win or two (max) and keep the ship afloat until your starter returns. The chance that any of these 4 guys behind Jay becoming a quasi-starter or future starter is very slim.
  20. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    For the first time in a long time I'm very confident. Our arrow is pointed up after the perpetual plateau effect of Lovie and JA.