Bears Sign QB Jimmy Clausen

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Jun 5, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,010 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,709ß
    I thought about this too. They wouldn't bring Clausen in unless there was a reason. Maybe Fales isn't doing as well as they thought he would. Or, maybe they're just throwing one more guy into the mix with the idea they'll let them all compete and the best guy gets the job. Here is what does impress me. Angelo/Lovie would never have considered a draft pick like Fales NOT making the roster. Just due to being drafted by the Bears he would have the Willy Wonka Golden Ticket for this year......at least over a guy like Clausen. But this new regime seems fine with competition. Instead of fearing it, they embrace it. If Clausen does outperform their boy, then he'll get that Golden Ticket and the draft guy will be sent away. Actually, that's a ballsy way to do it. But better for the team in the long run.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +102 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    102ß
    Pretty much all of us thought Mccowns starts last year meant for sure loses but he surprised us and his talent was not much better then Clausen, heck maybe worse. Why not think that a few months with Clausen might make the same results? There must be something going on behind the scenes we all don't know about, or it is exactly as stated numorous times above....it is all about pushing the other QB's....you do get better if you are being pushed out the door by your eventual successor
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +904 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    761ß
    Couldn't agree more.
  4. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    I hope I don't die before the season starts because I'm really looking forward to this year....
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,608 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    662ß
    I believe there was talk of Fales "throwing too many knuckle balls", so they brought in Clausen.

The real knock on Clausen, besides his game play, is that the dude has always had a sense of entitlement, and has been borderline arrogant. If he is as smart as we know him to be, he will realize this is his last spot in the NFL, unless he fully buys into Trestman's system
    • Like Like x 1
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +919 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,081ß
    Actually I like the Clausen signing. I expect him to beat out Palmer and he is much younger. Coming from ND he played high level of competition. The scout who wrote that report posted by JABF seems to have gone a little overboard. I liked him in college but do not recall him being as good as that scouting report. If he was that good he would not have been sitting on the open market, not to say he could not become that good but not now. He could be Cutlers replacement down the road and I like the fact he has more NFL playing experience than Palmer. Be interesting to watch these two battle in the pre-season. If they keep them both wonder if they will try and get both Fales and JJ to the PSquad. Nice little twist and I love seeing the Bears continuing to improve the team when possible.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,573 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/

Twitter mailbag: Why Bears signed Clausen

June, 7, 2014
    JUN 7
    9:00
    AM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com

[​IMG]
    derekcjones
    @derekcjones

@mikecwright why did the Bears sign Jimmy Clausen? Was it due to backups underperforming in OTA's? Familiarity with Trestman? #bearsmailbag
    Jun. 6, 2014

• Retweet
    • Favorite

@mikecwright: None of that stuff, Derek. For Bears general manager Phil Emery, it’s all about making that roster from top to bottom as strong as it can possibly be through good old-fashioned competition. Besides, it’s not like the addition of Clausen comes as a surprise.

Emery said back in March that the plan was to look to add a quarterback in the draft. Well, they did that with the addition of sixth-round pick David Fales. In pretty much the next breath, Emery said the team would look to bring in veterans “still looking for an opportunity” to Halas Hall for workouts, and maybe sign one of those players. The Bears did that with Clausen.

It certainly helps that Marc Trestman has some familiarity with Clausen, and I can tell you the team really liked what they saw from him during his workout, board session and personal interview with him Thursday at Halas Hall. Clausen is coming off surgery last September to replace a torn labrum, and in his workout, he assuaged any concerns about his health by consistently throwing an accurate ball and showing strong mechanics. So I don’t see the Clausen signing as an indication the backups were underperforming. It’s more about adding a player they like who has the potential to help out. The team plans to keep a minimum of five quarterbacks on the roster through the veteran minicamp in June.
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

There could be several reasons for the delay in signing Clausen which may have nothing at all to do with drafting Fales. He had shoulder surgery and may not have been cleared to throw until recently or he simply declined to throw until he was ready and he wasn't prior to the draft. So while he may have been a FA his "availability" to audition and sign with a team may still have been restricted by his recovery from the surgery.

He may also have been hoping for a better deal from a team where he'd have a chance to compete for a #1 spot or it was simply a matter of money and initially he wanted more than the Bears were willing to pay. When no others offers materialized he changed his mind about signing with the Bears. You know it's only a one year near or at the vet minimum. Fales is no more of a wasted pick than another third tier players who very likely wouldn't have made the team.

You may be right about Palmer but we haven't heard anything to that effect so I'm sticking with the fact that he's just another prospect to compete for a spot albeit one with a little more NFL experience and a better college pedigree. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,010 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,709ß
    That's "it" in a nutshell. I think most of us understand that it's a good move that may, or may not pan out. But a good move either way. As Soul said, nothing ventured nothing gained. I think what throws some people is the fact that we're not used to seeing the Bears operate like this. Jerry Angelo wouldn't do these things and Lovie was so "set" with "his boys" and not open to thinking outside the box like Emery/Trestman.

This is an entirely new way of building up the team......new for the Bears anyway, but it is a better way.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +222 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    606ß
    Ahhhh ... Caleb Hanie.
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    FWIW when asked about the signing of Clausen at this late date Trestman's response was "it just worked out that way" and he said that Palmer was given a heads up that they were still looking at vet QBs to bring for competition so this wasn't exactly a back door move. I think it was all just part of the plan to begin with and that it's possible Clausen was a guy they were targeting all along once he was 100% healthy. That would fit the way they often do things.
  12. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,121ß
  13. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,573 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    • Like Like x 1
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

That would at least in part explain the late signing if Clausen was looking for a better deal somewhere else. No really risk in this. If he makes the team even as a #3 he's a bargain.
  16. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +984 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,121ß
    Come on, give him a chance.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,573 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    I'm giving him a chance, it's the Bears that are killing him
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Oh I do lb. He got exactly the same chance as the other three and maybe even a little better given the fact that he's seen far more time behind center in some NFL games. Carolina wasn't doing all that well at the time so it was a tough spot for him to walk into and be expected to succeed big time. The real problem was he didn't even succeed "small time". Maybe that's made him a bit more humble than he was when he arrived on the scene.

The way I'm looking at it is that he's a guy who could just as easily be seen as a developmental prospect as Fales. Clausen is 3 years older (26 vs 23) but still young enough to easily fit into the category and he and Trestman have some history so we're talking about a guy he's already had some time to evaluate. As much of a conceited prick as he may have been at ND and when he was drafted he's a tough little SOB and in that regard as well as his attitude not all that dissimilar from Jimmy Mac. Maybe his NFL fortunes to date have enforced a little more maturity into him.

I think Palmer still has the inside track to the #2 spot based on his knowledge of the offense and the relationship he has with Trestman, Cavanaugh and Cutler. Palmer has made a point of studying McCown's progression as a backup prospect on last years OTAs all the way through his starts during the season and also of his relationship with Cutler. He's looking to duplicate that and the entire Bears organization wants him to as well. If it ain't broke don't try to fix it. Whatever Jimmy Clausen may bring to the table it will be tough to trump the intangibles Palmer offers.

I think he's here more to push Palmer a bit and to see if he has matured enough to put him in the mix for that #2 spot next season. He was a guy who was once touted as a top ten draft pick but dropped into the second round primarily based on his attitude and behavior prior to the draft. He could definitely benefitted from another year at ND (he left after his Jr. year) and from gaining a little humility and maturity. If he's ready to do that now he may have a place on the team as a #3 this year and a #2 in waiting for next year. With his experience he should be able to beat Fales out for that spot and send Fales to the PS for a year of seasoning.

If it works out this way it leaves the Bears with two vet QBs as backups one of whom, presumably Clausen, will run the scout team in weekly practices while he studies and learns Trestman's offense in meetings. He won't get very many reps in practice. Two vet QBs with a combined cap cost of $1.375 mil is pretty good considering that we couldn't have touched anyone else for under $2 mil in all likelihood. So the price is right and all that's left to find out is whether either or both of them can play well enough to be a compliment to the offense if and when needed.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +267 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    93ß
    I think Clausen is going to surprise some people and beat out Palmer for the #2 spot.

Palmer will be #3 and David Fales will go to the practice squad after clearing waivers.

Johnson will get cut.
  20. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +222 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    606ß
    Where it gets interesting ... The Draft ...6th round pick ... Clausen comes online ...

Now you have both.