Bears Sign QB Jimmy Clausen

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BelieveInMonsters, Jun 5, 2014.

1. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Hey, I guessed right. Palmer is a bit dinged up. I still think he will be the #2. FAmiliarity with the system and the ability to help Cutler like McCown did is going to be his edge. Unless he can't get healthy.
  2. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +235 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    50ß

No offense but what could Palmer possibly help Cutler with? The guy has thrown a total of 15 NFL passes. At least McCown had experience to offer Cutler.
  3. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +387 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    Trestman has thrown zero passes in the NFL, yet he is pretty good with teaching quarterbacks how to play the position. It's not like Palmer has only thrown 15 passes in his career.

Palmer has a coach's mindset. He is the QB coach for EXOS in California where he worked with Bortles and Fales, and was with the Elite 11 program for like ten years where he worked with Luck and EJ Manual along with a bunch of others. Palmer watched how Cutler and McCown interacted and how Josh was able to help, and he said he wants to duplicate that. Palmer can help him in ways Claussen might not be able to.

Claussen is still trying to be a player. His eye is someday being a starting QB in the NFL. Now, I don't know just what kind of mentality he brings to the table. I've read his combine scouting report, but I've listened to Palmer on the radio, and the guy seems to think and talk like a coach.

McCown said in an interview that the time when things clicked for him to be able to break down his reads and really understand how plays worked was when he was coaching high school ball. Palmer has been doing this QB prep thing for a while. He might be able to teach as well as be the backup is all I'm saying.
    • Like Like x 1