Bears Sign Santonio Holmes

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by WarLax, Aug 16, 2014.

1. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    Ummmmmm ok and thanks i guess. Is there something wrong with me commenting on the Jeffery/Jefferies thing??
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +748 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    738ß
    Note to self. Jeffery, Jefferey , Jefferey, Jefferey's Jefferey's, Jefferies. LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Akuma2000

Akuma2000 Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +165 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    43ß
    Isn't it the truth, it's so refreshing to know that Emery/Trestman are quick to refill positions that need attention to make the team better.

I think Holmes will help and prove to be a viable piece to the offense for that 3rd WR spot, this will give time for Marquis Wilson to heal and get back on to the playing field and most likely rotate with Holmes for playing time.
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,005ß
    This is a big fat meh for me. Not a bad option since we are down 3 WR's(Wilson/Tolliver/Williams) but Cutler seems to perfer to just toss it up in the air and let big WR's go up and get it. Not sure that Holmes really will click w/our QB.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +1,885 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    889ß
    Hot damn! If he has anything left, we have the best WR core in the NFL
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +748 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    738ß
    Santonio Holmes Can Thrive With Chicago Bears If Role is Understood

August 16, 2014 11:30 am EDT by Brian Neal

[​IMG]
    Evan Habeeb-USA TODAY Sports
    Advertisement

An offense that already consists of Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, Martellus Bennett and Matt Forte with Jay Cutler at the helm was set up to be absolutely explosive yet again in 2014. Despite this, the Chicago Bears have given former Pittsburgh Steeler and New York Jet Santonio Holmes an opportunity to come in and improve the wide-receiving corps even more.
    Following the injury to Marquess Wilson, the depth at wideout was looking thin with the only reliable[​IMG] third target being Josh Morgan. However, the move made this morning may have presented the Bears with a chance to have hands down the most dynamic receiving corps in the NFL. That is, if Holmes understands his place on the team.
    For a while in Pittsburgh, Holmes was considered the guy, the No. 1. Then with the Jets, he was again the top man at receiver. But now he’s on a team with two players[​IMG] who fit that description and are undoubtedly much more talented than him. If he understands he’s the third (or even fourth depending on how quickly he picks up the offense) option at WR, then he can flourish once more. After all, Holmes only has 43 catches and two touchdowns[​IMG] in the past two seasons due to injuries and, well, playing for New York.
    What this really does for the Bears, potentially, is offer them the ability to spread the field five-wide on occasion with five actual threats at wideout — once Wilson returns from injury, of course. A group of Marshall, Jeffery, Holmes, Morgan and Wilson could be deadly.
    It also provides security on the outside for Chicago in case of an injury to Marshall or Jeffery. Holmes has starting experience on the outside and it wouldn’t be out of his comfort zone to line up out there for a few games if need-be, which would then allow Morgan or Wilson to continue playing in the slot where they’re more comfortable.
    As for his ability to understand his role, I don’t think it’ll be much of an issue. Holmes must be well aware that there’s been a lack of interest in him as he hasn’t been signed by a team until mid-August, and he should know that he hasn’t been the most productive[​IMG] receiver in recent years. My guess is that he understands the type of opportunity he’s being offered to play in such a great offense, and if he truly does, the Bears will have made a fantastic signing that will only help them this year.
    The most interesting aspect to watch is how quickly he picks up the system and if he can develop a rapport with Cutler. Because of these two aspects, I’d lower the expectations on him for the first month or so he’s with the team. After the first couple weeks of the regular season[​IMG], I think we’ll begin to see the true impact of this signing
  7. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +845 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    That's the problem right there. If he really has something left in the tank, why didn't other teams sign him in FA? Why is everybody staying away from him?
  8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +748 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    738ß
    Not sure why but in all fairness the Jets do not have a QB to get him the ball. Sanchez was injured/ benched and the rookie, well Geno Smith was a rookie trying to figure out the NFL. Hopefully he still has something.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    485ß
    It's cool. I have issues with you not capitalizing your I. lol

Stones in glass houses.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +666 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    358ß
    I tru tree Jeffries out tru da'door, do ya no what'da mean. From'da Chouschide!!
  11. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,885 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    889ß
    Sadly he might be the best we can get.... Though I have heard rumors that Santana Moss might wind up getting cut......
  12. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,569 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    787ß
    so soon?
  13. mshu7

mshu7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +46 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Eric Weems: GONE!

• Bear Down! Bear Down! x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,005ß
    All of a sudden my meh is now changed to an AWESOME!!!!
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +666 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    358ß
    These guys move!! Lovie likes to get off the bus running, these guys will run you over with the bus. "He gone."
    • Like Like x 2
  16. The Benjamin

Ratings:
    +1,885 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    889ß
    Still not sold on Holmes..... but he must be better than what the Bears have at the moment.

Which is sad
  17. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    I'll go with option #1 please
  18. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    Holy crap i can't believe i forgot to capitalize my damn I.......what the hell was i thinking?? I'm truly sorry about that. lol
    • Like Like x 1
  19. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +51 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    54ß
    Ahhhhhh i gotcha now.....my bad.
  20. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +935 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    497ß
    Well, lets be honest, with our trio of Jefferies, Bennett and Marshall just about anyone will fit into our scheme.

He is a little bit smaller than we have, but hey he makes up for it with speed. I'm assuming he can still zip.

The only issue I see with Holmes, is his ego. Will he accept that he's not the star on this team. Will be drink the koolaid, or just be out for himself?

Hopefully he jumps on onto the Offensive bus. He has a LOT to gain including another ring if he performs to the level we know he can.

The #1 question? Is he humble?
    • Like Like x 1