Bears sign TE Matthew Mulligan to one year deal

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Jimmors, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,317 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    597ß
    http://www.chicagobears.com/news/ar...-Bellamy/592996bd-fe90-4bf2-8cd9-f59626476b04

Bears add TE Mulligan, WR Bellamy
    Posted 3 hours ago

By Larry Mayer

The Bears on Tuesday agreed to terms with tight end Matthew Mulligan on a one-year contract and claimed receiver Josh Bellamy off waivers from the Redskins.

Mulligan spent his first five NFL seasons with the Jets (2009-11), Rams (2012) and Patriots (2013), catching 16 passes for 160 yards and two touchdowns while appearing in 65 games with 24 starts.

[​IMG]
    Matthew Mulligan
    The 6-4, 267-pounder entered the NFL with the Dolphins in 2008 as an undrafted free agent out of Maine. He spent time on the practice squads of the Dolphins, Titans and Jets before making his NFL debut in 2009. Mulligan was also with the Packers last preseason.

Last season Mulligan appeared in 15 games with four starts for the Patriots, catching two passes for 16 yards. He has also played in six postseason games, catching one pass for six yards.

Mulligan, who turned 29 in January, is one of five tight ends on the Bears roster, joining Martellus Bennett, Zach Miller,Fendi Onobun and Dante Rosario.

Bellamy has appeared in eight NFL games, all as a reserve, in two seasons with the Chiefs (2012), Chargers (2013) and Redskins (2013). The 6-foot, 206-pounder averaged 20.2 yards on five kickoff returns with Kansas City in 2012, but has yet to catch a pass in a regular-season game.

Bellamy, who will turn 25 in May, entered the league with the Chiefs in 2012 as an undrafted free agent from Louisville. As a senior, he caught 24 passes for 280 yards and two TDs.

Bellamy is one of eight receivers on the Bears roster, joining Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery, Domenik Hixon,Marquess Wilson, Eric Weems, Chris Williams and Terrence Toliver.
  2. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,135 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    168ß
    Welcome to Mully...our newest member of the Spaeth-Maneri brigade.
  3. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    Oh good, I was hoping for a Mulligan. I never know where that first drive of the year is gonna go.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +302 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    It's a position that still needs to be addressed, but I have a feeling Trestman and Co. think Oh-no-bum has a place on this roster.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. draw2anderson35

draw2anderson35 Veteran

Ratings:
    +77 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Only 25 more teams on Mulligan's to-do list...
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +282 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    We have no depth behind Bennett for a cathcing TE.
    Onobun is the only one that is supposed to be in that mold, and he dropped everything in preseason last year, sure hope he gets better, but that part of the game is typically something that you have or you don't.

Davis never got better, I'm worried Onobun is the same guy.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,187 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    532ß
    One thing I've noticed about Cutler, is that if a guy drops too many passes, then he's dead to him. It's like he's not on the field. Onobun will get a fair chance to show he's improved, in training camp this year. But if he still is dropping passes, it doesn't matter if he makes the roster or not because Jay won't even fart in his general direction. It's over. Someone will mention that B.Marsh has his drops too, but he more than makes up for it with spectacular plays all season long.......and some of his drops are when he's covered heavily and Jay chucks the ball into the crowd hoping Marshall can come up with it. But Onobun isn't a B.Marsh.
  8. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +282 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Without a doubt, I remember that a WR (can not remember who it was)was catching the ball one handed and Jay lit him up .
    I think that is both a selfish and smart thing to do on Cutlers part.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    The thing is that Onobun was lighting it up in the OTA and in camp last year and we all read that. It was in the preseason games where he became very inconsistent. He made a few nice blocks and made a couple of difficult catches but then drops a sure TD pass and a handful of key 3rd down tosses and poof. All the good disappears just like that. You can't have a guy like that playing.

But they did keep him around so maybe they feel it was a combination of nerves, a lack of focus, or he still adjusting to the game having played very little of it in college. So far his cumulative pro experience has been little more than if he'd have been a 3rd string TE for fours year in college as opposed to a first string BB player. He's not totally without hope......yet.

I think they'll give him one more honest shot at making the team this year but I also think that if they don't find a gem of a rookie somewhere then Emery will consider some of the other vets who are still without deals later on. There isn't a huge need to worry about it right now. He has his starter and he has prospects for the backup spots so they'll see how that goes before doing more.
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,187 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    532ß
    I see this type thing every year at camp. There are guys who look stellar at a position (not just at TE or WR) and you think they're going to be great playing for the Bears. Too many times in the past I have come back from camp and posted to the messageboard (this one, and before that the CBMB) and rave about them.

Then when it REALLY counts, in games, they look completely different.

I see this every year. One guy who was the "poster boy" for this was Kellen Davis in years past. Man, that guy looked like a Pro Bowl talent at camp. Then in games would grow hands of stone. So now if I see a guy lighting it up in camp, I just enjoy the show, but tell myself it means nothing definitive. The guy could go on to be good, or he could be a bum. You just don't know.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    It's in their heads where the problem resides brother not their hands. The very fact that teams keep them around hoping one day the light will finally come on......and stay on, tells us all we need to know.
  12. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    300ß
    It tells us we havent won a SUPERBOWL since 1986.

You may recall the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS from last year.

They didnt spend years jacking around ... in their upgraded position they just went there and DID it !

We need to be upgraded in that capacity also.

What the Seahawks did ... was erase the past and start over.

Because its not and nor ever will it be ... 1986 ever again.

This gentlemen ... is the wakeup call ... in the year of our Lord ... 2014.

Lets get to work on beating the living shit out of the NFL.

Anything less when it comes to THE CHICAGO BEARS ... is failure.
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,771 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,381ß
    Speaking of what's inside someone head................jackie I see the ghost of George Halas kind of intermingled with the Honey Bears when I peek into yours. LOL
  14. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,397 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    514ß
    I just see the Honey Bears... I must be broken....
  15. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +1,397 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    514ß
    speaking of tight ends, Hernandez is in the news again for threatening to shoot and kill a prison guard and his family when he gets out. No... really....

The guy is something else. I'm not sure he will ever get out though. They love a good tight end in prison.... (literally I mean)
  16. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +186 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    300ß
    You see it as well as I do Soul , BRING BACK THE HUNNY BEARS !!!

WE NEED TITS AT SOLDIERS !!!