Bears SS Safety Position Up For Grabs?................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Jun 27, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Article posted: 6/27/2014 5:18 AM
    Bears’ safety position still up for grabs

[​IMG]
    Former New England Patriots safety Adrian Wilson is now a member of the Chicago Bears. Wilson missed the 2013 season with a torn Achilles tendon.

Associated Press/2013 file
    1 of 1

By Mike North

The Chicago Bears signed safety Adrian Wilson to a one-year deal, and I think it sends an ominous signal to Bears fans. If this signing was a few years back, it would be considered an upgrade.

Instead, they have signed a player near the end of his career.

Wilson, a five-time Pro Bowl safety, has many accomplishments in the NFL, having played 12 seasons, started 162 games, and collected 893 tackles to go with 27 interceptions. But after signing a three-year deal with the New England Patriots, Wilson missed the 2013 season with a torn Achilles tendon.

Maybe Wilson can bounce back, but what does that tell you about the defense when you sign a guy who is on the downside? It means the Bears need to score lots of points this year to win.

The Bears defense has made some positive changes, but in this day NFL passing attacks, the secondary is more important than ever.

It used to be the safety was the last line of defense, and not only against the pass but also the run. The NFL game is different now, though.

This signing could turn out to be a good gamble for the Bears without much to lose. With safeties like Chris Conti, Craig Steltz or Ryan Mundy, I guess the approach now is the more the merrier.

But with the loss of strong safety Major Wright to free agency, look for fourth-round pick Brock Vereen to be the odds-on favorite for the job.

Yes, the Bears safety position is far from settled, and look for more potential safeties to walk through the door.
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    I had to post this for one reason and one reason alone. I don't live in Chicago and I can't catch his radio show so it's not every day I get a chance to take a shot at Mike North. The Bears have a lot of media idiots reporting on them but IMHO Mike North is the biggest moron in the entire bunch.

I'm 100% certain his football knowledge was jammed up his ass and that he's sitting on it 100% of the time. So here's one more example of how he completely misreads the Bears situation at Safety and misinterprets the reason for bringing in Adrian Wilson. Hell, Steve Roserant is a football mensa compared to Mike North. What scares me is some fans actually believe this asshat knows what he talking about.

There are so many things wrong here I'm not sure where to start so I'll let you all do that. If there's a bigger Turd (with a capital T) reporting on the Bears I haven't found him. Hub Arkush has more on the ball than Mike North and that's not saying a whole lot.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  3. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    Wow, I didn't even realize Mike North was still around. He still has a radio show?! What station actually picked him up?
  4. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +409 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    141ß
    When I was reading this article, all I'm thinking is, "Wow, words and ideas are not Mike North's friends."

This is awful commentary on the situation with picking up Wilson.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Well he used to be on The Score I thought but now I don't know. I saw a video rant he did a week or two ago but don't recall the source. Is the Daily Herald so hard up for writers that they dipped this low for North? Maybe I should apply for a job.
  6. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    What gets me is does the guy even listen to what the coaching staff is saying or is he reading stuff that's posted on the Bears official site for all to see? Mundy has all but been named the starting SS. At the very least he's numero uno on the depth chart heading to camp. So what's this about Vereen????? :duh:

Vereen has been playing FS all throughout the OTAs and mini camp and yet North thinks he's the odds on favorite to replace Major Wright at SS. And this in an article about the Bears signing Adrian Wilson whose also a SS. A guy like North commenting on the Bears being his team actually embarrasses me. I hope the rest of the country doesn't think most Bears fans are as much of a moron as this guy. :36 11 18[1]:
  7. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    65ß
    That's Cubs fans for you.
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

:gosox1: Although I think they need to be renamed after the bullpen......Sux.
  9. Papa_Bear_7

Papa_Bear_7 Veteran

Ratings:
    +118 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    48ß
    image.jpg
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Damn I told you to burn that! My aunt is gonna be really pissed when she sees this pic of my fat little Cubs fan cousin wearing my Sox shirt! :naughty:

:smilebig: :gosox1:
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,474 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    504ß
    LOL, I have to agree Soul. I don't want reporters to be total homers either but I also can't stand those that are constantly negative no matter how far they have to stretch reality. And it takes a big stretch to find something negative in the signing of AW. Really? Shouldn't Emery constantly be looking for ways to upgrade the roster wherever possible?

No one expected this signing and no one predicted it. If Wilson is recovered medically and has something left in the tank, he adds a vet presence and toughness to the safety corps (even as a backup or situational player) that we could use. For a a cheap vet min contract that's a steal. If he is still hurt or has nothing left due to age, he will be cut in August with no dead cap cost. It's a low risk, can't lose type of signing. Great move by Phil and it's great to see that vets want to give the Bears a look thinking they've got maybe only a year or two left to get a ring.

Trying to spin the AW signing into some ominous admission of doom is a dick move by a reporter who obviously has no real ideas to write about.
  12. Ski-Whiz

Ski-Whiz George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +976 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    562ß
    What cracks me up is when lovie was coach and didn't make ANY moves, there was nothing but positives about his coaching.

we sign a vet with no risk or big money and that's a bad move, time for panic?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    :rimshot:
    That's why a guy like "Moon Mullin" on CSN is one of my favorites and kind of my go to for info. He's fair and he's honest in all of his reports and the opinions he gives. I've never been a big fan of the Sun-Times but this young kid Adam Jahn they have now is also very good IMHO. I'm just glad to see some of the old hacks like Telander and especially Rick Morrisey being put out to pasture. Talk about negativism.

I can take some negativism and bull shit but it's far better when it comes from a guy like Steve Rosenbloom whose actually a pretty intelligent guy and done some insightful stuff even when he was being critical. This Rosenrant stuff he's doing now is a little beneath him IMHO but I'm sure it helps sell the Trib and that's what it's for. Planned, creative, concocted and controlled controversy. Some of his older stuff is far better, humorous in a black humor kind of way, and pretty intelligent. The guy is not always off base.

But Mike North is a total doofus. He's not even intellectually controversial like Kaplan tries to be. North is just a simple moron. He's trying to be the blue collar voice of the frustrated Bears fan. I'm an old Southsider so know they type, LOL, but he comes off as an ill informed nut job more often than not and Southsiders are not ill informed nut jobs. We leave that up to the Cubs fans. :rimshot: :lolsign: j/k :36 3 16[1]:

Wilson WAS a smart signing because the risk is non-existent and the reward even if he only sticks through camp could be huge. We have players who could learn a lot from him and knowing Wilson this is not a cat whose gonna give up his career all that easily if he can still play some and that's really all he has to do to be of value. Play some. I don't think they brought him in for any other reason than to be a role player.

This is not one of those Vernon Gholston, Adam Archuleta, or Roy Williams types of deals which is the way North is treating it. And as far as that statement he makes about the offense having to score a lot of points.....hello, they already do so what's Adrian Wilson playing got to do with that. You can't link one with the other anymore. We have an offense now. This isn't 2010-11. North is a douche bag.
  14. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +224 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    606ß
    If Wilson makes the team or doesnt make it he will be a TEACHER.

(And probably a future Safety coach somwhere.)
    • Like Like x 1
  15. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    From the pained expressions we saw on his face at times I'm guessing player movement was not the only movement issues he had some days. :10 4 1[1]:

I liked Lovie but he has to be one of the most frustrating HCs we've ever had. It was easy to be a hater on guys like Wanny and Jauron because they were always falling short of promise but Lovie was a hard guy to dislike. He always seemed to have the team on the verge of doing well and then the wheels would come off and it looked he had no clue of how to put them back on.
  16. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +224 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    606ß
    Angelo and Lovie , there was no backup plan after stage 0ne didnt work.

There was no stage Two and if there was it looked like stage Five.

How many years did we come out at #1 in the NFC North and melt ?

All it took was some little thing and pfffft!
    • Like Like x 1
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    That's part of what happens when you get two guys who got as complacent about their jobs as those two got. After reaching the SB in 2006 and both getting rewarded with big contracts mediocrity set in and they were willing to accept that and so was Michael McCaskey because the team was making big money. But once George McCaskey took over for Mikey that went out the window. This change in culture goes back to when he took over.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. The Benjamin

The Benjamin George Halas Staff Member

Ratings:
    +2,149 / 7 / -9
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,539ß
    Good. We need as much competition as possible
    • Like Like x 1
  19. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +224 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    606ß
    The more we beat the shit out of each other in training camp is the better we do in the playoffs.

Whos best over who in training camp ? Offense or Defense ?

Bourbonnais, Illinois ... here we come.
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    You forge and harden steel in a fire and for NFL teams it happens in July in miserable hot humid training camps in places like Bourbonnais. Gotta se what comes outta there in August.