Bears talking to Jared Allen

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by Marshall#15, Mar 11, 2014.

1. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +425 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    71ß
    Earl Mitchell is going to sign a 4 year 16 million dollar deal in Miami...would have loved to have him here.
  2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,053 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    320ß
    Allen can still play well, and I love his style of giving 100%, all the time. The guy not only has talent, but also has a crazy motor going all the time. He could give us a couple of great years. Think of how this DL would be transformed by:

1. Dumping the lazy guy (Peppers) who took full games off.
    2. Adding a top-tier DT in the draft (stud level guy).
    3. Adding Houston at the other DE slot.
    4. Maybe adding another draftee project in one of the first 3 rounds too.

This would open up the opportunity to bring in another stud youngster in NEXT year's draft too. We'd be fine for this season, and have time to add in another draft to fully fix the DL for long-term. I like this move if they can do it. Allen has always been a Bears kind of player anyway. I respect how he plays the game. Total opposite work ethic than Peppers. This guy gives his all, every heartbeat.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,053 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    320ß
    I guess we have 2 threads on this same topic. Here's what I posted in the other Jared Allen thread:

This would be a good step in fixing our DL woes for this year. Allen can still play well, and I love his style of giving 100%, all the time. The guy not only has talent, but also has a crazy motor going all the time. He could give us a couple of great years. Think of how this DL would be transformed by:

1. Dumping the lazy guy (Peppers) who took full games off.
    2. Adding a top-tier DT in the draft (stud level guy).
    3. Adding Houston at the other DE slot.
    4. Maybe adding another draftee project in one of the first 3 rounds too.

This would open up the opportunity to bring in another stud youngster in NEXT year's draft too. We'd be fine for this season, and have time to add in another draft to fully fix the DL for long-term. I like this move if they can do it. Allen has always been a Bears kind of player anyway. I respect how he plays the game. Total opposite work ethic than Peppers. This guy gives his all, every heartbeat.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,655 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    559ß
    I think this got skipped, let me repost:

Brad Biggs is saying he's seen the tweets about this, but has never believed that the Bears are real suitors for Allen. I hope he's right.

I don't buy for one minute the Bears are interested in Allen.
  5. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Ric, can you list your Pros/Cons on the debate as to whether we should resign Wootton or Allen?
  6. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    I heard Biggs say the same thing but when Schefter tweets about it I tend to listen to him a bit more. I kinda hope we get Allen, we need someone who can be a sack machine and show aggressiveness
    • Like Like x 1
  7. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Hey BC, I would like to see Allen also but I don't know the FO's thinking on this. I just seem to think their are hedging their bets Wootton will recover 100% and they can sign him to a reasonable 3-4 year contract. He is decent and has some upside so there is that. It just boils down to the fact that we need to still address either the DE or DT position but I guess at this point it is easier to look at DE than DT and use the 1st on a good DT. Not sure though.
  8. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +439 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    I'd like the move for a short term 1-3 year deal as a way to solidify another spot on our d. We need a true pass rusher as Houston is a phenomional run stuffed but an average pass rusher. I don't think that wooton can be a 10-12 sack guy or will command many doubles to free up our 2 and 3. There is no quick fix for our secondary so without a pass rush it could be ugly (think GB and DET)
    • Like Like x 2
  9. VJ18

VJ18 Veteran

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    I would totally get allen now and draft a stud DT. Melton seems to be as good as gone and wooton is a (?) mark as well
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +439 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    42ß
    Keep in mind, Allen is poised for a big season wherever he goes. He has been blatant in stating the fact he wants to crack the top 10 sack list and get a ring before he retires. Kinda like, ya know, the opposite intangibles of Peppers.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Marshall#15

Marshall#15 Rookie

Ratings:
    +32 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    • Like Like x 1
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,655 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    559ß

BC, when it comes to the larger NFL scene I'll give weight to what Schefter says, but never would I give more weight then what a true long time local Bears beat guy says. Biggs has WAY more contacts in Halas Hall then Schefter does, if Allen was on the Bears radar Biggs would have heard something.

Dabears for the pros and cons of Allen vs Wootton, I'll give it a shot.

Allen: pro's: MUCH better overall player/leader/pass rusher. Cons age/cost
    Wootton: pro's cheaper/can play all along the line/younger. Cons' not near the pass rusher/coming off inj's.

I think that's overly simplified, but there ya go. I know we need a true pass rusher, but I'm not sure that Allen is going to give you that anymore, and will he be that effective playing 8 games at Soldier Field?
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    I like Corey W but the dude is made of glass. He's been hurt or had post-season surgery in 3 of his 4 first years. I kinda doubt we are going to sign Allen but I sure wouldn't mind. He's a pretty good stopgap vet option to play RDE and lets not forget that CW isn't cleared to practice until summer. It's not quite so simple as "just bring Wootton back".
  14. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +268 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    Allen is a good player but I just dont like the guy, he has a few negative points in my mind, i want him here and i dont want him here, if u know what i mean
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,053 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    320ß
    I think Emery is going to be patient moving forward in FA. If some of these moves end up being value deals he will take advantage of the opportunity. Some of these vets may end up being amazingly high-value moves. Allen may or may not be one of these. I really like that about Emery. He is patient.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    I love when some fans turn their nose up at a potential vet signing because he's "too old" or they don't like him from his days with a divisional rival. I doubt we are going to get Jared Allen for cost reasons, but he'd easily be our best best pash rusher if we did. He is a high motor player with a few years tread left on the tires. The guy had half the sacks alone last year (on a crappy overall team) that the entire Bears DL had combined.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +268 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    im glad u love it, im emotional bout football, not rational, unfortunately
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,655 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    559ß
    He's to much money for a 31 yr old, and I doubt he's looking for a 1-2 yr deal.
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,033 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    64ß
    I realize he's not a realistic target for us. Just saying the reason for that isn't what some may say. He'd be a major upgrade over the trash we had at RDE last year. Peppers disappeared in all but 2 or 3 games. Allen is a few years younger and, at this stage in their respective careers, he's way better.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +268 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    ur absolutely right, u know the reasons I 'hate' some guys on the other teams are the same reasons I would love them if they were DaBears
    • Like Like x 1