Bears To Release TE Feni Onobun

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by draw2anderson35, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,622 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    683ß
    Okay, is anyone else still morally bothered by the fact that "Helen" Kellen Davis got a SB ring and none of our guys have? I think, at the least, that should be our rallying cry going into the season lol
    • Like Like x 3
  2. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +229 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    626ß
    Henry I dont have a problem with this TEAM right now. Right now its perfect.

The fourth week in September ... we'll see.
  3. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,286 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    237ß
    Two words: Harvey Unga

:0:
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +408 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    98ß
    Sounded like Z Miller was having a solid camp so far as well.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BelieveInMonsters

BelieveInMonsters Veteran

Ratings:
    +273 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I wonder if Emery could work a trade for a TE for a draft pick.

Then again, he already did the same with Dante Rosario.
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Henry I'm not sure Finley is even a consideration at this point for two reasons. Although his docs have cleared him to play not one NFL teams has done so yet and there have been a few already kicking his tires.

The other reason is the guy is apparently sitting on a $10 mil disability indemnity insurance payout if his career is over. He's not gonna trade that off for a one year vet minimum deal which may be all anyone would be willing to risk on him. Certainly the Bears aren't in any position to offer more.

The guy currently sitting behind Bennett is Matthew Mulligan. Not much of a receiver but has the rep of being a good blocker and he's been around for awhile after arriving as an UDFA. So for now it's him along with Rosario as a HBack/TE.

Matthew Mulligan
    TE #85
    Height:
    6-4
    Weight:
    College:
    Maine
    Hometown:
    Bangor, ME
    Experience:
    Quick Stats (2013):

REC
    YDS
    AVG
    TDS

Career Stats
    SeasonTeamGamesReceivingRushingFumbles
    GGSRecYdsAvgLongTDAttYdsAvgLngTDFUMLost
    TOTAL1616010412  --    
    2013NE1542168151--------------
    2012STL16988410.5181--------------
    2011NYJ16955811.641 --------------
    2010NYJ131  ---- --------------
    2009NYJ511222 --------------
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    And that's all it took. They kept him around for a year hoping he'd improve and didn't so you're right. It was no loss. Not with a guy who could have been something if he ever solved his issues and if this coaching staff couldn't do it then I believe it just couldn't be done. Ya win some and ya lose some.
  8. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Be nice but that assumes there'd be somebody worth trading for. It seems like teams are hoarding good TEs these days. SF may be willing to wash Vernon Davis out of their hair if he doesn't show up at camp. He's in the middle of a hold out. Unfortunately he'd be way to rich for our blood and we really can't bring in a guy at that level. What we really need is a young prospect type who can get open and hold onto the ball.
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    Exactly.
    We're talking about a credible backup who can just hold down the backup role until next year's draft. We're not talking about a Pro Bowl guy or even a starter. Just a guy who can catch a stinking football. K.Davis and Fendi Onobun set the bar pretty low here. We probably have high school TE's here in our town who can catch better than those two. Actually, I wish we had a former HS player from in town who is the Patriots backup TE now (Michael Hoomanawanui).

I get so tired of players who look good as far as "measureables" yet who can't perform basic football skills like blocking, tackling, catching a football etc. In the end, the football players need to be football players. Who cares what their 40 time is or vertical jump is, if they can't play basic football?
  10. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Nope, I'm past being bothered by what wasn't. That ended last year. Now I'm only bothered by what isn't happening this year and after this year I'll move on to 2015. You can't get on with the future when you're still living in the past. The Bears organization as whole is taking that approach and so am I.
  11. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +411 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    146ß
    I have a feeling that #62 is going to be an eligible receiver a bunch this year.
  12. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    Hoo???? :rofl2:

I see a major change in the way we draft and sign players now compared to the way it worked when JA was running the show. He liked measurables and showy athleticism and figured his coaches should be able to teach those guys to play football. LOL Well that doesn't work. As a coach you really shouldn't have to teach an NFL prospect how the game is played.

I have that problem with certain musicians. I don't care how fast and fancy on a guitar they are if you they don't know basic musicianship they aren't gonna fit in with the guys I play with. We don't have time to teach that part. We all learned it on our own and that's how you get to first base.

I see Phil looking for good athletes but I also see him spending his money picks on guys who can play the game too. Even McClellin's short term failure at DE didn't come because he's not a good football player. He is he was just overwhelmed playing as an undersized LDE. Now that he's at LB the reports are that he's adapting to it very well.

For all of his inexperience at the college level Kyle Long can play football and so can Kyle Fuller and I think the rest of Emery's higher picks have that same skill set too. They have great measurables but they can also play the game. He may take some flyers in later rounds but not with his money picks.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,053 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,778ß
    I agree with all of that Soul. And I'm A-okay with taking flyers on players in the later rounds or UDFA's. I'm glad to see that Emery/Trestman are also willing to move on if these flyers don't work out. Give 'em a fair chance and if they show they're worth a roster spot keep them. Or, maybe they show that they're worth making the PS or investing some development time in (like C.Washington or even Fendi). But if they don't pan out, cut 'em and move on. I'm relieved we didn't invest another lost year in Fendi. I'm fine with them giving him ample opportunity to show he can play football. But at some point, like with J'Marcus Webb, you realize the guy doesn't have the ability you need - and you move on.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

I like the fact that they're moving on faster with these guys. You get a year on the PS and then maybe one on the 53 man roster as a backup but if your growth as a player stops there and there's a guy behind you pushing to leap frog then it's his turn to get a shot.

Onobun got every chance he was entitled to and he's just not gonna make it as an NFL pro. There are a few others guys who look like they may be moving on as well. Possibly James Brown being shoved out of the way my Charles Leno and/or Michael Ola and possibly McCray at Safety over Steltz.

They've done about all they can to upgrade the top two tiers so most of the battles for a roster spot are probably gonna come at the back end.
  15. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    32ß
    I liked a lot of what Trestman had to say this week. One thing he mentioned was that he is looking forward to TC; it's about the 7th practice or so where you can really tell a difference in those that have plateaued, and those that are still progressing. What I like about our coaches, is that although they are creating this 'family-type' atmosphere (which is great), they also have it out in the open that if you don't perform, somebody will replace you. It sounds like the players have bought into both of those aspects and learned tons in OTAs. Training camp should be great.
    • Like Like x 3
  16. Smoking Jay

Smoking Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Could have had him a long time ago but we picked this guy called SheaShea
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß
    ???? Eifert was drafted in 2013 right after we took Kyle Long and I'll take Long over Eifert any day. I'll take Marty Bennett over Eifert too.
  18. Smoking Jay

Smoking Jay Rookie

Ratings:
    +25 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    10ß
    Ahhhh yes, I am thinking of when I wanted chandler jones instead of Shea and yes at the time I wanted eiffert instead of the long pick.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,480 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    510ß
    I did too at the time but fully admit I was wrong and Emery was right. Long has added nastiness, talent, and versatility to the OL in a way that Eiffert couldn't have added to the O as a whole from the #2 TE position (it also helped that Bennett gave us a presence at the position we've lacked for quite a while).

The OL has come far from just a short time ago. We now have a solid starting 5 with good depth behind in DLP, Britton, Brown/Leno/Ola/the other Long.
  20. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,761ß

Based on the way we played D under Lovie to me Chandler Jones would have been both the better and the more obvious pick and I know Lovie liked Jones. I've always wondered if that was a situation where Phil overruled him and knowing what we know now took McClellin for his versatility instead?

I guess it still remains to be seen but I think if they can free Shea up to be a real pursuit guy and a wild-card pass rusher that we may have another Clay Matthews type guy who can create some real chaos as a playmaker. I still think we've just scratched the surface as far as what he's capable of doing but Shea needs to get meaner and tougher to do it. IMHO he's played a little too "meek" so far. I want to see the Doberman in him start to come out.