Bears Training Camp Notebook: July 30

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jul 30, 2014.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,987 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    http://www.chicagofootball.com/2014/07/30/bears-training-camp-notebook-july-30/aswknu8/

Bears Training Camp Notebook: July 30

By KEVIN FISHBAIN - kfishbain@chicagofootball.com - Wednesday, July 30, 2014 4:44 p.m. CDT

BOURBONNAIS — The Bears held a high-energy, spirited practice on Wednesday following Tuesday’s off day.
    Here are my observations from the morning session:
    Defense helps offense: Linebackers coach Reggie Herring and defensive backs coach Jon Hoke worked with the offense — Herring with the tight ends and running backs and Hoke with wide receivers — in a ball security drill. Marc Trestman is very vocal about ballcarriers putting the ball away. Herring and Hoke can offer pointers from the perspective of having coached defensive players on stripping the ball.
    In the trenches: The one-on-one pass rush drills were marred a bit by the Britton injury, which came on the second time Jeremiah Ratliff beat Britton off the snap. Ratliff was visibly concernd and sat with Britton until the O-lineman walked to the sideline. Taylor Boggs stood out on Wednesday, holding off Ego Ferguson and Nate Collins. Jermon Bushrod impressed the crowd with his work against Jared Allen, and Aaron Kromer commended Bushrod for “going to get him” and making the first move to keep Allen back.
    O-line musical chairs: We saw Michael Ola play right guard with the first team and right tackle with the second team, while Eben Britton opened practice as the first-team right guard before his hamstring injury. Trestman praised second-team left tackle James Brown for his block out in front of a run play.
    Defense shuffling: The big story was at safety, where Danny McCray spent all of practice with the 1’s and Ryan Mundy, while Brock Vereen played alongside Adrian Wilson and the 2’s. On the D-line, we saw Austen Lane, Tracy Robertson, Nate Collins and Trevor Scott get reps against the first-team offensive line with a starting back seven behind them. Kelvin Hayden played first-team nickel with Tim Jennings limited.
    Two minute drill: The first- and second-team offenses moved the ball on similar plays. Jay Cutler hit Alshon Jeffery down the right sideline in between Kyle Fuller and Ryan Mundy. Jordan Palmer – who worked with the second team – completed a pass to Josh Morgan down the left sideline in between Demontre Hurst and Vereen. Both offenses settled for field goals.
    Top plays: Linebacker Khaseem Greene almost made a diving interception of a Jordan Palmer pass. … Cutler hit Eric Weems for a 30-yard play. Weems was coming right to left across the field and Cutler dropped the ball in a perfect spot, where Weems was ahead of two trailing DBs. … New wide receiver Dale Moss caught, and held on to a pass over the middle, taking a big hit from DeDe Lattimore. … Ka’Deem Carey got some cheers for his cutback on a toss left, and then he showed off his burst going up field.
  2. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,987 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    Bears Camp Report: Day 5

July, 30, 2014
    JUL 30
    4:45
    PM ET
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPN.com
    BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- A daily review of the hot topics coming out of Chicago Bears training camp:
    • [​IMG]Coach Marc Trestman watched as Hall of Fame receiver Michael Irvin held court in front of a JUGS machine with receivers Brandon Marshall, Alshon Jeffery and Marquess Wilson along with tight end Martellus Bennett. For Trestman, the moment seemed a perfect one to pull out his iPhone to snap a shot. Instead, the coach was forced to handle his daily news conference duties with the media. “I was just getting ready to go take a picture with my iPhone, but I missed out,” Trestman joked. “That’s a nice picture. That man was a heck of a player and knows a lot of football. So I’m glad they had a chance to spend some time together.” The opportunity to snap a picture remained for Trestman after fulfilling his media obligation as Irvin and the Bears players remained grouped together talking shop. But if Trestman pulled out his phone to take a picture, “You guys would be taking pictures of me taking the picture,” the coach joked.
    • Cornerback Tim Jennings (groin) took part during individual drills, but the staff continues to hold him out of full-team work. Rookie Kyle Fuller worked in Jennings’ place with the starters, while Kelvin Hayden kicked inside to nickel. Isaiah Frey worked as the extra defender in dime packages. Other non-participants included safeties Chris Conte (shoulder) and Craig Steltz (groin), guard Kyle Long (viral infection) and receiverTerrence Toliver (toe). Jeffery (foot) returned to the practice field after being held out on Monday.
    • Trestman spent several minutes after practice working with backup quarterbacksJordan Palmer and Jimmy Clausen, putting the duo through rope-ladder drills. Holding the ball, the quarterbacks simulated their drops through the ladder. It appears the coach is working to improve the quarterbacks’ footwork.
    • Out since the start of camp after undergoing shoulder surgery in the offseason, Conte spent several minutes before the start of Wednesday’s practice catching balls from a JUGS machine. Conte started camp on the active physically unable to perform list, but the expectation is he’ll be cleared to practice soon. Regardless of when Conte returns, he’s been all but declared out of the preseason opener Aug. 8 against the Philadelphia Eagles by Trestman. Conte needs to return soon, though, as competition at the safety position remains heated with several players vying for two openings.
    • The Bears signed receiver Dale Moss to a one-year contract on Tuesday, and on Wednesday he made one of the most eye-popping plays of the day. Coming over the middle in heavy traffic, Moss made a leaping grab as linebacker DeDe Lattimore laid a bone-jarring lick. Moss managed to hang onto the ball, and even threw out a first-down hand gesture on the way back to the huddle.
  3. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +192 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    361ß
    Keep the articles coming about overall Training Camp Ric!
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,987 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    I find it a little worrisome that he's having to work this much w/the backups. Neither seems to have really stood out, I actually read one person that was watching say that it was more Palmer losing out then Clausen stepping up. Hope this turns around.

1 guy I forgot was still on the team making a big hit on a guy that just showed up. wonder if DeDe makes it to the PS for the team.

Can anyone imagine Lovie doing something like this? Lawrence Holmes always complained about Lovie not reverse engineering the O b/c of his knowledge of the D and how it thinks, here Trestman is doing just that, but he's the Offensive mind....

I was hoping for more out of these 2 guys, but the reality is that they were picked where they were for a reason, they needed refinement, hoping Ego and Sutton can at least be solid depth guys by the season, and maybe another year be legit.

This team is so deep, that even guys that look good or make plays are probably not going to make it, hoping Britton isn't serious, but hammy's have a way of lingering remember Forte's sophmore year, he was just always off.

One issue w/the last few years O was settling for to many field goals, hope this is a sign of a D stepping up more then the O regressing.
    Good to hear Greene has stepped up his game, he and Bostic got thrown to the wolves, glad it didn't seem to ruin them. I'm no fan of Weems, but it sounds like he's having a good camp, if he's the best depth WR then so be it; does sound like a lot of plays by WR's who are splitting the DB's though, heard that mutliple times since TC began. First mention of a RB I've seen was the rookie, good to hear.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,987 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    here's 670's take on today, would have been here w/the other ones but I was looking for a "notebook" title, which wasn't there at 5 pm ish:

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/07/30/bears-notes-marshall-says-cutler-could-absolutely-be-mvp/
    Bears Notes: Marshall Says Cutler Could ‘Absolutely’ Be MVP

July 30, 2014 3:50 PM

By Chris Emma-
    BOURBONNAIS (CBS) – The stakes are greater than ever for Jay Cutler and the Bears’ high-octane offense.
    All the pieces are in place for the Bears to seesuccess[​IMG] in year two under coach Marc Trestman, led by Cutler, the franchise quarterback with a newly minted contract. There are playmaking receivers, a top-tier running back and stable offensive line.
    This all led Brandon Marshall, one of Cutler’s closest comrades and top receiving targets, to offer a prediction when speaking with the NFL Network’s Michael Irvin. In an audacious statement, Marshall said Cutler can win MVP. He reiterated these remarks Wednesday, speaking to the assembled media in Bourbonnais after practice at Olivet Nazarene.
    “Absolutely,” Marshall sad.
    “We have a special group at the skill positions like Matt Forte, Alshon (Jeffery), Martellus (Bennett), Q (Marquess Wilson). I think, absolutely.”
    It’s a bold belief, considering Cutler’s background in the NFL. His best statistical season came in 2008, when he threw for 4,526 yards and 25 touchdowns. His best year in Chicago was 2009, where he posted 27 touchdowns and 3,666 yards — but also threw for 26 interceptions. He hasn’t seen an injury-free season since, though he did post a career-best 89.2 quarterback rating in 11 games[​IMG] last season.
    Off the field, Marshall sees a different side of Cutler — something he believes will make a difference. The quarterback is up and working at 5 a.m., Marshall said, and “lives” the chance to get better.
    “I don’t think anybody would believe it,” Marshall said. “I don’t know why they wouldn’t believe it. This is a different person. I don’t know this guy. I don’t know this new Jay Cutler. Maybe his new name is like Joshua or something. This is a totally different guy. Just call him Joshua Cutler. That’s what the ‘J’ stands for.”
    Were Cutler to have an MVP season, he would need to conquer health concerns. Everything is set around him for success. Marshall, the go-to target for Cutler, would be the greatest influence for such success.
    Everything has ramped up for the Bears’ new season, and the expectations are rising with it.
    Long cleared for camp
    Training camp can become tedious at times, especially for a Pro Bowler stuck going through the motions. In the case of the Bears guard Kyle Long, missing out made him a “wreck emotionally.” He even filled the void by jumping in a fight last week.
    Long is nearing full recovery from a viral infection that sidelined him for the Bears’ first five practices in Bourbonnais. He’s been cleared to begin conditioning and is expected to suit up in a helmet and pads this weekend.
    “We’re going to do the right thing,” Bears coach Marc Trestman said. “We’re going to do what the trainers and doctors tell us to do in our meetings, he’ll get back up on his feet, and then we’ll get him going.”
    As a rookie, Long started all 16 games at right guard, putting together a Pro Bowl season. There were no injury woes or struggles throughout his first season. The bout with a viral infection, beginning days before training camp, became his first setback as a Bear.
    Long will have to work from behind in practice, catching up with an offense that’s beginning to establish itself in the early onset of camp. First, he must get back into full physical condition.
    “He’s missed out, no doubt about it,” Trestman said. “We’ll get him to accelerate the process.”
    Bears taking advantage of little time
    The clock of NFL coaches is different from the average human being. Early hours of the day are commonplace to begin a strenuous job. Such is the case for Trestman.
    However, each morning when Trestman arrives to the practice field at Olivet Nazarene — often times a full hour before the team’s 9 a.m.start — his players have already arrived.
    “It’s what it takes to be a pro,” Trestman said. “We start practice at 8:30, and most of the team is out here at five after 8:00. Guys are having catches, working on their hands, working on their footwork. They’re spending as much time out here as they can.”
    Part of the urgency is a result of deep competition to make the Bears’ 53-man roster. There are plenty of vacancies throughout the depth chart and more reasons to make each day a chance to improve.
    Time is limited on the field in training camp. Gone are the days where two-a-days and lengthy practices were conventional. The collective bargaining agreement keeps teams in check but also takes away reps on the field.
    “With the new CBA, this time is precious,” Trestman said. “There’s only so much time we have tolearn[​IMG] and get ready for the season. Our guys are really trying to make the most of it. We’re trying to make the most of each and every day.”