Bears vets give rookies warm welcome

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Newsman, May 20, 2014.

1. The Newsman

The Newsman Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +41 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    992ß
    ChicagoBears.com News:

In a video interview with ChicagoBears.com, rookie running back Ka’Deem Carey talks about working with his veteran teammates for the first time.

Continue reading...
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,858 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,578ß
    Bears vets give rookies warm welcome

Oh yeah the old Icy Hot in the jock strap warm welcome huh? :36 1 19[1]:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    58ß
    I, for one, believe in the power of a respectful locker room. Fun initiations are cool, but just treat them like men and get everyone rolling the same rock uphill.
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,858 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,578ß
    I'm sure that's the way it gets done around there. This bunch doesn't seem to be threatened by the new guys and if they are well then that should be a strong motivator to play their asses off and keep their jobs. The rookie hazing seems pretty limited these days and maybe even more so after that Incognito thing in Miami.

Trestman's personality and his approach seem much different than Lovie's where I think there was more of an inner circle and more cliques among certain groups. The whole thing seems more relaxed and co-operative. Hell half the vets call coaches by name rather than coach X so even the staff makes themselves more part of the team than the bosses. It's a good thing.

The impression I get is that it's more of a "we're all in this together" kind of an atmosphere.
  5. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,563 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    779ß
    First OTA's are 27 and 28 so I hope we continue to get good news on the rookies. Specifically looking for the new CB and DT's to look good. Those three alone would make the draft, but I think we have a baller in the LB and maybe the new S also. This draft could really be a good one.
  6. Moondog

Moondog Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I agree with this 100%...When Lovie was here, there was a definite separation between the offense and Lovie's boys (the defense). That's all we heard, how the defense had to constantly bail out the inept offense. There was bitterness in the voices of Urlacher, Briggs, etc..This does seem like a "team"..more than when Lovie was here.

I think that Briggs is the only true Lovie fanboy left and it shows. He seems disinterested to me. He doesn't seem like a leader. Maybe with some new teammates and new energy, he can pump out another year or two of good football.

I'd like to see some younger guys step up and be leaders. I can see Long stepping into that role someday. But someone on the defensive side needs to step up, be vocal, and be the heart of the defense. I don't see that...
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,858 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,578ß
    I think Briggs just doesn't know how to be a leader because he never really was. Urlacher took care of that so Briggsy was like the younger brother who simply never learned to develop the maturity and drive to do it. I don't think he knows the entire scheme well enough to run it. I really don't.

That's an issue Tucker also has to deal with. I'd try giving the defensive signal calling over to DWill and see how that works. It's only a gut feeling but I think when they have Briggs do it it's doubly bad. One he doesn't get it right and two all it does is distract from him focusing on what he does well.

Someone else needs to take over that defense and run it on the field and Tucker needs to find that guy fast and put him in charge out there. Maybe Bostic will come around in that regard but so far I haven't see it in him either. Of course he was just a rookie so he gets a little leeway. But Briggs? No.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß

IDK if I ever posted a similar thought, but this is EXACTLY what I've thought about Briggs. He screwed up the most important play call last season (whether you are mad at Conte or not, there was a LOT of confusion in the secondary as to what went wrong), AND he didn't even take over play calling any time Urlacher went down. The only reason he did last year, was because he was the last man standing in Lovie's now-defunct cover 2.

Either way, bravo for this post, you hit the nail right on the head.
  9. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +661 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    355ß
    I believe the professionals are finally becoming professionals. The days of grab ass are over for teams its the ones that build chemistry the fastest that have the best chance of success. If there is disrespect amongst players and coaches chemistry will never be built and when the proverbial shit hits the fan don't expect much support for each other. However, when players genuinely care for each other and their coaches they will do everything possible to bust their asses to make sure they aren't the ones screwing up and will take the heat when things go bad because of the strong feelings for the other guys. Hence the realization on the importance of even the success of the new guys that are coming in have for the veterans own personal success. I believe the Trestman way is starting to sink in with these guys, it's starting to show by words and most importantly by action.