Bears vow pass rush will be coming Sunday

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 11, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Man, I hope they can just stop AP. I really don't worry about Ponder hurting us. In fact, the more he tries to pass, the happier I will be.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MikeGolf97

MikeGolf97

This does worry me, Week one but it was not even a factor. With all the money into Peppers he needs to show up against a 3rd string Tackle
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

And who knew that Shea would be leading the team in sacks. heh.
    • Like Like x 3
  4. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears

Peppers should have manhandled his green opponent Sunday. I heard a Bengals fan call him ancient
  5. MarkBear

MarkBear

Ouch....
  6. short faced bear

short faced bear

Pass rush will be ok, it's the run D and not getting gashed on some of Tuckers wrinkles. Might be wise to keep the same type of gap control in previous years in containing A.P.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

A couple of things related to the offensive line

Last year, the Vikings offensive line was 7th best in terms of penalties. As far as their run game goes, they were 15th and 13th, respectively on running on the outside of the left and right tackles, 8th and 5th behind the tackles, and 19th running it up the middle. This should dictate that, if Paea can ride that hot streak he had in the 2nd half of the last game into this one, we'll have a REALLY good shot of stuffing AP on "up the middle" runs. Hopefully Peppers and Wooten can control the outside, and force him to run up the middel. Chicago ranked 1st (according to Football outsiders) on stopping the run, and stuffed 24% of all runs. This, I believe, will be significantly more important to watch for than the pass rush.

The Vikings were ranked 16th in pass protection last year, having given up 32 sacks. However, Cincy was ranked 28th in pass protection with 46 sacks last year. Take that as you will. (keep in mind AP had the second most rushing attempts last year, and ponder was 21st in pass attempts)

Ponder only had 2 200+ passing games after Percy Harvin (who was considered an OPY candidate at the time of his injury, in week 9) was lost for the season. Cutler had only one game last year in which both his completion percentage and passing yards were better than the opening game this year (which also happened in week 1, but against a horrible Colts defense). Not enough sample size to go out on a limb and say this is proof Cutler's going to be significantly better, but it's another stat to keep in mind.

IDK, I'm kinda tired (homework and this site been keeping me busy), but this all makes me really think their weakness in the running game (up the middle) vs. our strength in stopping the run will make all the difference in the world. With Briggs and Peppers manning the weaker side of the Vikings running game, it might be on Anderson and Wooton to make a lasting impression. If Trestman's offensive strategy to get the right side of the line fully into the game by taking it slow in the first half, unless Forte or Marshall can break off some big plays (keep in mind the Vikes are starting 3 rookies on the defense), it would make sense to guess that the Vikings WILL be running the entire first half. The question is: will it wear out our defense in the second half?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

riczaj01

I'm not stressing over the lack of passrush after 1 game, just like i didn't get all tingly down the legs after 1 game where Melton had a ton of sacks.

Pep out most pre season, Melton out most pre season, those are the cogs to the D pressure. When they get their legs under them the pass rush will be just fine.
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

That's a lot of great information, thanks for posting it. It helps me to put some of this into perspective.

The Bears will need to tackle better. With the power and speed combo of AP, if you miss a tackle, it's often a TD. He's gone. And if they're running the ball effectively, moving the chains, and eating up the clock, it's a killer. There have been games where AP utterly destroyed us. Every single tackle of AP counts bigtime in this game.

Someone earlier posted that Peppers is ancient. He's still going to have a Pro Bowl level year, and as Ric pointed out, Pep & Melton missed a significant amount of TC play, so of course they have some rust to knock off. I figure they'll both be rock solid from here on out. I'm not worried at all about our DL in this game, but I am hoping our safeties and LB's are solid as a rock. They're going to have to be solid in this game, and IF they are, then this will be a win. If not, then we'd better hope the offense can bail us out with a big day. Of course if AP is running the ball effectively, and eating up the clock time - that limits our offenses opportunities.
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01

I want to see how the Dl performs though the first 4 games as a whole, then make a decision. Same w/DJ and Anderson. Anderson made a hell of a first impression, and DJ not so much, but I want to see what really comes to be over the 1st qtr to see how the team really plays.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

I think the Vikes, if they're smart, are gonna key in on the fact that the Bears were trying to get Forte as involved in the passing game as anyone, and will double Marshall. I hope Bushrod keeps Allen at bay, or if he switches sides, they keep Bennett in to help keep him in check.
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01

Henry, I hope they do, If they are forced to double Marshal, and then keep a LB spying Forte out of the backfield, it will limit their passrush and a slot guy or a TE open in the middle.
  13. GBlaze23

GBlaze23

And we might actually have a TE this year, so imagine that.
  14. Nakoma1

Nakoma1

15. riczaj01

riczaj01

I know crazy, now imagine Forte getting spied out of the backfield by a LB, and he's in the same backfield w/Bush and the TE goes into a route to take up another lb, the DL has to now stop Bush w/1 LB as protection if he busts through. It's a hell of a thing to have the D worried about 2 guys
    • Like Like x 2
  16. GBlaze23

GBlaze23

You haven't flipped out and been booted from here or rage quitted this board yet like the last 3? Must be a decent place then. Glad I found it. Time will tell. Plus I do like the ignore feature. Hmmmm
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Nakoma1

Nakoma1

The Bears gave up 63 yards rushing last week thats a pretty good IMHO

The pass D is what hurt them more and lack of a rush
  18. riczaj01

riczaj01

Nah, we smacked most the stupid out of Nak early and often, he's cool now.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

I hope E. Bennett starts to become more of a threat. I'm not just basing this off of the Bears Bengals game, but the fact that Cutty's just not thrown to him (be it coverage or not). With the trade rumor and Emery looking to cut the fat, it's hard to imagine him NOT being on the chopping block next season.
  20. Nakoma1

Nakoma1

And you maybe wonder why I'm peaking ,.. Ya think yer the only one conjuring up all this schemes ;)

DO CARRY ON,.... the picture your paint will soon be priceless
    • Like Like x 1