Bears will need free agent help

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Jan 23, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    It all will come down to our talent. If we have mediocre talent, then we're screwed no matter what scheme we run. The pressure is on Emery now to deliver talent.

2. riczaj01

riczaj01
    Expand Collapse
    DaBears Ditka
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I think NO's made a pretty seemless transition to a 3-4, it can be done.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

I agree Ric. I guess I'm not as excited as some here about going to a 3-4. I'm okay with it. I am mostly excited to see if Emery can perform well in restocking the cupboard with talent on defense. If it's for a 3-4, I'm good with that. If we stay in a 4-3, I'm fine with that too. We just need some young studs brought in through the draft. And certainly Emery will need to add some FA talent also. But our future on defense will mainly depend upon how well he drafts this year. The draft is the heart and soul of a solid team that plans on maintaining winning over a span of years.

#13 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jan 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Dallas has been in a 3-4 for a while...since Ryan was their DC, who also happened to be the DC in NO this year. Dallas's problem is talent....not coaching.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran
    SuperFan

lol no Dallas's problem is its Owner/President/GM/Coach know it all... Jones should just watch and keep quiet and let some1 else run the team

• Like Like x 1
  6. butkus3595

butkus3595
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Well...he is in charge of putting the talent on the field...no?

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

+1

And it is a classic example of how a franchise under-achieves when there are too many talent misses. They've gone through a small army of coaches down there & have a billionaire owner who spends money on FA's as if it's Monopoly money.

But with poor talent evaluation/acquisition it really doesn't matter who coaches the players, or what schemes you run. I don't believe most Bears fans fully appreciate this fact.

As much as I like (and am excited) about Trestman as our head coach, I understand that he is not the primary key to success here in Chicago. Emery is the primary key (and his scouting department). Certainly you need a solid coaching staff, and not just the head coach, but rather a solid staff from top-to-bottom.

But if you have mediocre talent coming in through the draft pipeline, you're probably not going to sustain success, or even achieve short term success for that matter. I am beyond curious and excited about this draft. I want to see if Emery knows anything about defensive talent. He's proven that he knows the offensive side of things, and he's done a wonderful job of building a good offense, talent-wise. But he hasn't proven squat yet on defense. So far, we're seeing the defense-equivalent of the Angelo/Lovie offense years. Not much good there yet. They've also bet the farm this upcoming season on Mel Tucker. I'm watching to see if he is "who they think he is" as far as a DC. I'm not ready to "crown him" yet though.

#17 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jan 24, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595
    Expand Collapse
    Pro-Bowler

Case in point, Dallas just signed a kicker to a 7 year 22.5 million dollar deal...a kicker!

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob
    Expand Collapse
    Veteran
    SuperFan

And that is what I meant....he has the money but not the know how to run a team...what we need is someone like him the take over the Packers to run it in the ground

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99
    Expand Collapse
    Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Good point. Regarding the Packers, we have the unfortunate (down right rotten) luck, to be in the same division with them. They have a model now in place that makes it possible for them to sustain success over a long period of time. My hope is that we have (finally) fixed our franchise so that we can climb past them, and have some sustained success of our own. As a franchise, we've been like a football version of a highly-dysfunctional family in the modern Super Bowl era. We have some limited success (1985) but obviously we haven't won a Super Bowl in over a quarter-century.

I don't see Green Bay ever becoming a dysfunctional franchise like Dallas is, or like we were for many years. The bar for success in the division won't be lowered. We have to learn how to get over the bar that Green Bay has placed pretty high. They will be a tough team to beat, unless we can "get over the bar" at some point.

It begins with Phil Emery and the scouting department. The coaching staff is critically important (this includes Mel Tucker too). For us fans, it's time to sit back and see if Emery & Company has the gears to overtake the big dog in our division - Green Bay. Talk is cheap. Let's see how the team performs. I'm tired of only having that one old dusty Lombardi Trophy from long ago. I'm actually getting tired of us trotting out the old players (the ones who are still alive) and pointing to them as our "greatness" here in Chicago, because frankly, it's embarrassing to have gone so many years with so many poor teams, coaches & players. As much as I love Da Coach, even he is an old guy falling asleep on TV, or reviewing the wrong teams that aren't even playing. We just had an 8 win season, ending the year on two losses. We are the very definition of mediocrity. Time to see that change for the better. But we'll have to climb past GB to do anything I think. Gotta be good to beat the good ones.

[​IMG]

#20 JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jan 24, 2014