Bears will remain a 4-3 base defense

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BearJim, Feb 18, 2014.

1. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
  2. BearJim

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If this is true it probably puts guys like Donald, Jernigan & Sutton high on our draft board. If the 4-3 is going to be our base defense we have to have a good/great 3T.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,473 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    ...In terms of the scheme, the Bears will remain a 4-3 base team. But having coaches with experience in a variety of different systems will give them the versatility to take advantage of what their players do best...

there is what you need to know.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I'm fine with the 4-3. What I'm not fine with is having a crappy D. Emery needs to get Mel the players, and then Mel needs to show he can coach the unit at a high level. I really don't care what scheme they use. If it's a 4-3 then acquire quality players to play THAT one well. I think fans get too hung up on 4-3 versus 3-4 or hybrid. It's not the scheme so much as having the players and coaches to excel in the given scheme.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    ESPN's take.

6. BearJim

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Lets hope so Ric. I was kind of looking forward to more of a change in scheme but we'll see what happens. I can see us taking the best safety on the board in the 1st rd & the best 3T DT in the 2nd.
  7. BearJim

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Yea ya beat me to posting that one 99! LOL
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,473 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    Bear, lets look at how they bring in via FA and draft. They bring back a guy like DJ and then draft a guy like Hagemen, then the arrow is pointing to a diverse scheme, using the players versatility, much like the staff, even if it is a base 4-3.

If they bring in a more tradition MLB and draft a guy like Donald, it's going to be a straight 4-3 w/more hopes of high impact players.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Emery/Trestman probably don't want to bite off more than they can chew this year. There is a lot to fix, even if they stick with the 4-3 scheme.
  10. BearJim

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99, ESPN has a point but we don't have many signed DL so I'm not sure their point is valid.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. BearJim

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Good point Ric. I wish FA started tomorrow!
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    That's a good point.

And who knows what Emery and Trestman are actually thinking and planning. Maybe they see the best route to quickly getting the D "good enough" to get us back to the playoffs - as going the 4-3 route. One thing though. A lot of us seem to think that just being healthier this season will automatically translate into a solid D again. That's not a "given" yet. You'd like to think that's the case, but you never know for sure.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,473 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    266ß
    Well this is also the crew that said that High Character players matter and have shown time and again that isn't necessarily true and also said that Carimi would be welcomed back w/opened arms and promptly cut him shortly after. So this could all be smoke also.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    That is so true. In the end, you just have to watch what they do, and not pay too much attention to what they say. I don't mean that in a judgmental or negative sense. It's just the way it is in the NFL.
  15. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +948 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    252ß
    Hybrid.
    • Like Like x 2
  16. BearJim

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    All good points 99. All I do know is no matter what scheme we run we have to get more talented on the DL. Peppers play took a major drop this year & well probably get cut. Melton had a serious injury so who knows if he can return to form or what he will command money wise. Wooten, while a decent player, will never be a regular at the Pro Bowl IMHO & Paea is nothing special.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +948 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    252ß
    Let's also remember that we are in "predraft distraction" mode as an organization. We will call in players that we have no intention of drafting. We will make statements that won't come true. We will talk about schemes.......

I still say that we will target players who can play in either, a la McClellin. Though let's hope we don't take two years to move them to their final destination.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. BearJim

Ratings:
    +141 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Combine starts tomorrow, right?
  19. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +488 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    312ß
    I am not sure what the final analysis of the article should be as well. Having a 43 base is ok. It does not rule out a 34 look eiNTther 20% of the time. McClellan I do not believe fits a 43 scheme. Having a bunch of rookies on the field to change schemes is very high risk and a good way for the braintrust to get fired. So not surprised they do not want to change the base. Still expect them to draft towards a Hybrid Defense. Next year we will see more of a dramatic change if a change is coming.

We need to get more players to change the base so if drafting hybrid type players will probably be more telling. Even with a 43 base you can have 2 gap vs 1 gap players/responsibities and use a LEO. This is still what I expect the changes to be. Thus we will have a big fatty in the middle ( 2 gap). Players like Hageman can play a 2 gap NT or a 3 or 5 technique.

More concerning is with a 43 is if Peppers is cut and Wootton is said to be ready to test free agency that leaves 0 starters on the team. Unless you want Peae as your starter. A big fatty can be had in later rounds but 2 DE's and a good DT in first 3 rounds will be tough. Still need some safeties, center, te and center. With 34 we eliminated some of the linemen which is why I thought it was viable and enable us to fill some of the other positions. Guess we will see how it works out but I do not want to wait another year and be here again. They need to get it right or the McCaskeys need to clean house cuz we will be going in circles. Hate to lose Trestman but gotta coach the team not just offense and sounds like he is behind all this
    • Like Like x 1
  20. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +1,844 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I can't help but think we'll take a step forward THIS year, but realistically it may be 2015 before the defense is where it ultimately should be. That's why I'm hoping they got it right with Mel Tucker. I'm not dissing the guy, but I don't want to find out after this year we whiffed on Mel. Emery and Trestman seem like football savvy guys, so I'm trusting that their guy is the right guy for us to fix the defense. But if not, I'm gonna be sick inside that we lost another year due to the coach not having the gears to build a solid defense.
    • Like Like x 1