Bears will remain a 4-3 base defense

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BearJim, Feb 18, 2014.

1. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    If our defense sucks again in 2014, I don't want to hear the excuse that it wasn't Tuckers defense. He is already out of excuses in my book.
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +595 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    460ß
    They will all be out of excuses, they have made their choices and now they must live with them. They succeed and fail as a team, the front office should be looked at the same way
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,656 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    and if the Def is sitting average to above average I don't want to hear that it's inspite of Tucker b/c he was given a pretty raw deal up to this point.
  4. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    We have to get better then 31. Theres only one spot to fall to, to get worse at.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. BearDownUnder

BearDownUnder Veteran

Ratings:
    +60 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    11ß
    Next year the excuse might legitimately be personnel. It's hard working building a defense in one year and if we are trying to follow the Seattle or 49er road then it means lots of draft picks and lots of time to develop them and only smart and smaller FA signings.

I don't want the defense to suck next year but it might just be wiser to take the patient building road and not expect things to be fully fixed overnight.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    22ß
    Intersting... Please let FA begin so we know what will happen to Melton. Let him go=70% we draft DT/ bring him back and everything is on the table in first round
  7. mshu7

mshu7 Rookie

Ratings:
    +45 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    18ß
    Great point ric. As open as Phil is (compared to Angelo & crew), he does seem to use smoke & mirrors from time to time like you pointed out. FA & the draft can't come soon enough.
  8. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +428 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    At the end of the day it's about talent. Schemes only get you so far, and you can have a great scheme, but if the talent is lacking it won't really matter. This defense needs more TALENT, and it needs to stay HEALTHY(something last years defense lacked)
    • Like Like x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,058 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    322ß
    Most Bears fans will be okay with the D if they see that Mel has taken a serious stride in improving the unit this season, and then he can further build on that success for 2015. The defense is clearly going to get major attention from Phil Emery in the draft and FA. And while we will still have injuries on D this coming year (every team has injuries every year), it hopefully won't be as bad as we had to endure this past season. Just those two factors should give Mel Tucker PLENTY of opportunity to improve from being 31st in the NFL. People don't expect it to be a top-10 defense or a Lovie Smith top-5 defense. They just expect the D to be (at least) average good. If we totally suck again this coming season then the fans will come unglued, and rightfully so.
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    J99,
    We went from being a suck ass offense to the fifth highest scoring offense in one season.
    THATS what you call a turnaround !
    Now lets see Emery do it for defense.
    Im ready.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,656 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    So I was reading around the net and found a tweet saying that Emery has learned from the Shea pick, and at DE he will look for size and length. Remember how so many people like to shout that these guys know more then you and me and that we just need to trust them; well this is why everyone is allowed to question anyone, even a GM that is used to be a scout.

Shea is and always was, at best a 3-4 OLB, maybe he can be saved as a 4-3 SAM, but he was NEVER a 4-3 DE, he's to small, and he doesn't have elite speed to get around the OT, which is why he was so often swallowed up by OT and TE's, and even FB's.

This again goes into the JA line of "Im the smartest guy in the room". Luckily it seems Emery's learned from that and will hopefully be better for it. Here's hoping for a Truitt type of 4-3 DE and not a Michael Sam DE/OLB type.
  12. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +428 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    [​IMG]

I'm just saying is all(5'11, 260, 4.75 40)....A successful football player can be anything. Shea wasn't suited for Defensive End for a multitude of reasons...his size and length to me not being one of them. The majority of his play in college was off the ball. The only time he played with his hand in the ground was obvious pass situations, but even then he was a better rusher from the line backer position. The mistake was thinking he could play defensive end when he had down it sparingly and only in certain situations. Thats just my opinion on it though. I think he will be better at linebacker if we get creative and take advantage of what he does well.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,656 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    The diff is that 4.75 speed, Shea wasn't anywhere near that. If he had sub 5 speed then ya his size and length wouldn't be an issue, but he didn't have what would be considered "elite pass rush speed". So size and length very much came into play.
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +428 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    Shea ran a 4.54 and a 4.63...which is faster than a 4.75. Come on Ric...
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,656 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    straight 40? more important for a WR or RB then a DE. The DE I thought that was more about the cone or split drills. But okay Dumervil also bench'd 30 to Shea's 19 4.6 and 4.7 is not that far apart though. So Dumervil while smaller and a little slower is also A LOT stronger.

http://www.optimumscouting.com/draft/articles/2013-nfl-combine-what-to-learn-from-each-drill.html
    10 (and 20) Yard Split
    This might be one of the most telling and unfortunately most forgotten numbers of the entire NFL Combine. While the 40 time is the "sexy" time, only the running back/wide receiver position would ever run 40 yards straight, and even those two positions rarely get that 40 yard space without contact. The 10 yard split shows the explosiveness off the snap from a 3 point stance for the offensive/defensive lineman, which is basically the only valuable part of the drill for those positions. As for the position players, being able to quickly get to a players top speed is crucial for receivers exploding to their first cut, while defensive backs need that explosiveness after they flip their hips and run.

http://voices.idahostatesman.com/2012/02/27/ccripe/boise_state_de_tyrone_crawford_runs_40_484_seconds_first_attempt
    10yard split is the most vital stat for a D/O Lineman. Shea was tied for 6th in this for all DL, pretty good except he's not as big or as strong as most DL'men, again only 19 reps, Dum had 30 and he's smaller.
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +428 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    I actually agree that the 10 and 20 yard splits are more important. The 40 is actually useless to me...HOWEVER...YOU brought up his 40 time...not me. His 10 yard split was the 6th best...which is pretty damn good. Secondly, while we're talking about faulty tests, the 225 bench test is not a test of pure strength...it's a test of muscle endurance. If the truly wanted to find out how strong these guys were they would have them perform a 3 or 5 rep max. I agree though strength was an issue for him.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,656 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    no you actually brought up the 40 time when you posted the stats on dumervil, just sayin. I merely pointed it out; thinking about the article on 10splits and how Mc was in e 5's(I was getting my #'s mixed).

valid about the bench, but regardless of strenght or endurance he came up well short of it. and while 6th best is nice, when that is your lone calling card it's not great, and it wasn't what one would call elite speed. I'm struggling to find these #'s, but apparently elite speed DE's have sub 1.5's.
  18. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    265ß
    The Forty time is the one thing that everybody knows. Cones and reps and everything else to a lesser extent.

Too bad they cant measure a players HEART to PLAY.

WALTER PAYTON and DICK BUTKUS would have been off the charts.
  19. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +428 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    73ß
    True I mentioned Elvis's 40 time...but you made McClellan sound like he was a 65 year old man running it. Either way...with the way it's set up even 10's and 20's are overrated. At no point in time are you ever setting up in a track stance in tights and running in a straight line. Even a 10 is a poor test because at no time does a football player, save for maybe a wr, run 10 yards straight without stopping, making a cut or changing direction. Vertical jump is probably the test you want to pay attention to the most as that's a great test of explosive ability.

As for elite 10 yard splits, not one d-lineman in that draft ran a sub 1.5 10. In fact McClellin was only 1 tenth slower at 1.57 than the five guys tied for first with 1.56. Elite is sub 1.5; and if you're running sub 1.5 you're running generally sub 4.4 (incidentally we have 3 guys at my gym who run a sub 1.5 10 and not one of them is a lb or dl, they're db's and a wr). I remember the 2012 combine because we had a couple guys there so I paid a lot attention to it.

At the end of the day I think we agree that Shea was not put in the correct position and linebacker should be much better for him.
  20. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,656 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    560ß
    Butkus, yep in that we agree. Although I'm not sure he'll be a good LB either, just that was the only place he stands a chance of being good. Even at LB he'll still have to prove he can shed blocks; teams will still run routes and rb's right at him to prove he can make the play. Hopefully he's able of doing it when he has a few steps to get his speed up.