Bears will remain a 4-3 base defense

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BearJim, Feb 18, 2014.

1. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    So if we now have an extra 8-9 million of CAP space without having to deal with pPeppers and the other FA's on D how would you do the offseason if you were Emery? Go and try to get amajor piece for the DL or secondary first which will eat most of the new found CAP or try and create as much room as possible first by cutting pep, Bush, etc?
  2. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    280ß
    The problem with Bush is if you get him warmed up and playing he keeps scoring.
  3. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    True dat, he has robably not been used to his full potential. Trestman said as much. I don't know though as we always seem to find a 2nd level RB every year. But the fact remains that we cannot pay Bush to sit onthe bench when that money (His 2014 CAP hit) could be better used on the D if released.
  4. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Link: http://www.footballsfuture.com/2014/fa/dl.html

Linval Joseph [DT, New York Giants] - Though Justin Tuck is also set to become a free agent, the Giants may decide to instead first concentrate on retaining Linval Joseph who has been a productive starter for the defense in the middle of the line. As a strong run defender with enough pass rush ability to apply a little pressure on early downs, Joseph is perhaps a bigger part of the future than Tuck, who will turn 31 later this year.

Justin Tuck [DE, New York Giants] - If the Giants decide to focus on tackle Linval Joseph early on, the momentum seems to be paving way for an exit from New York for Tuck. With 11 sacks, Tuck still has some pass rush ability left in the tank. However at the age of 31 and with only a total of 9 sacks in the two seasons prior to last, teams may be a bit wary in pursuing Tuck right out of the gates.

Fellow Bears fans, if we could poach one of the 2 above from the NYG, would you rather go full throttle after Tuck who will cost less at 31 or Joseph who is going to get paid but has upside and is only 25 coming off his rookie deal? With our new found CAP spacewe could definitely go after Tuck but Joseph could also be had for the right price and contract structure (base salary, bonuses split over the life of contract, etc).
  5. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    280ß
    There has to be a deal at HALAS HALL. If Bush walks... what IS the second RB ?
    There aint one.

I dunno with Linval Joseph and Justin Tuck ... I mean we already have Peppers ...

there comes a time when THE CHICAGO BEARS have to start thinking new blood.

It comes down to this , is Emery slick enoughh to get us a DEFENSIVE LINE in the draft and FA?

Actually ... FUCK FA ... lets build a DL though the draft. Just my thoughts.
  6. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Jackie, Joseph only fits the bill as a solid DT and he is only 25, so there is youth there. I know the draft is the way to go but it won't get you all the future pieces unless you commit to rebuilding it through2014/15. I want to see whtat we can pick up in FA. I mean we have the funds now to go after one key piece so why not do it since we know the D will command the major focusthis offseason?
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +470 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    137ß
    If the choice is between the two I'll take Joseph. As a jersey guy I saw a lot of tuck...I don't know that there's much left.
  8. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I haven't really been following the D Linemen FA candidates this off season but am pumped since we will get an xtra 8-9 million in CAP space. That will certainly let us pursue all of the top targets. Or the top safety. Choose your pick.
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +470 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    137ß
    I wouldn't mind seeing us get Verner from Tennessee.
  10. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    280ß
    We went thru this whole Lovie/Angelo I dont know who is making the draft picks or FA and we seem to be back to that again.

Whos drafting or signing FA? Emery or Trestman?

Butkus,

I really dont want to go here with you being a Jersey guy , but Tuck ... Peppers ... you be the judge.
  11. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +206 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    Not trying to sound negative, but let's not forget that there are 31 other teams involved in Free Agency as well. Just because the Bears have X amount of $$ to pick up a DL or DE or Safety, that doesn't mean that player is going to choose the Bears over all the other teams. Sometimes we get too biased (like who wouldn't want to play for the Bears??) but the reality is, there are other cities and teams that are attractive for better reasons as well.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Ojibway Bob

Ojibway Bob Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +95 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    56ß
    Well players know of the legend that is the Bears, we have a top 5 offense already inplace, and WE ARE DA BEARS!!!
  13. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +470 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    137ß
    Not sure what one has to do with the other. Tuck, while he may have had 11 sacks he was nonexistent for 9 games this season. 4 of his sacks came against Washington. The choice wasn't between tuck or peppers it was between tuck and Joseph...I'll take Joseph.
  14. dabears70

dabears70 Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    Fine by me, i'll take Jernigan or Donald.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    Fine by me too db70. If we take one of those guys or any good 3T, I hope we follow it up by drafting a big DT to play next to him.
  16. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    280ß
    BearJim,

Justin Ellis DT 6'2" 343 lbs. Looks like a fifth rounder there for us.
  17. BearJim

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    There ya go. I've heard a bit about him from LA Tech? We need a guy that can hold their ground when double teamed so guys like Melton, Donald or Jernigan can make big plays when singled up. JJ, I usually don't put too much stock into the combine but Donald had a great day today, after a great week at the Senior Bowl. If he's there at 14 & we keep the pick, he'd be hard to pass up.
  18. dabears

dabears Rookie

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I'm just pumped as Free Agency is about 2 weeks away. GO BEARS!!
  19. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +184 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    280ß
    If Emery can do with Defense what he did with Offense in one year ...

we are in the hunt with Seattle and Frisco , Carolina should be handled ,

Green Bay an afterthought.
  20. BearJim

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    As am I! It can't get here soon enough!