Bears' window to win now

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by ChiCityBears, Sep 14, 2013.

1. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears

Tillman, Briggs, Peppers, and Jennings are all old. We need to win now.
  2. mancunian

mancunian

this year or next probably with that defence. will take a couple of years to get younger (on that side of the ball at least)
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Even though Emery has only been here for 20 months or so, I can already see that he is being proactive and bringing in a nice mix of young players & vets, to replenish the talent pipeline. I don't worry about us reverting back to the old Jerry Angelo "crisis mode" way of doing things, where we have the overall talent on the team atrophy to a critical point. Yes, we have aging stars. But Emery looks like he'll have the talent weapons in place to simply "reload" and keep firing.

With Emery & Trestman, the window will remain open, to a steady stream of young talent, to replace the old, injured or even players who leave the team to go elsewhere. In fact, I believe we will have our overall level of talent sustained at an all time high. Sure, there will be an ebb and flow over the years (even the elite franchises have some mediocre years), but I see a "sustainability" template in place now that Phil is here. This will result in the Bears becoming an elite franchise in the modern super bowl era.

It sure feels good too.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  4. yttocs

yttocs

Well they need to bring in young STUDS. Going to need someone who replaces Peppers level ( good luck) and Briggs and peanut will be hard to get too. Or is it going to be solid but not great players across the board?
  5. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears

Those three will not be replaced easily. We would have to have another 2013 draft success story.
  6. The Benjamin

The Benjamin Bear Down Staff Member

Do you trust Emery?
  7. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

With my naked wife.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. The Benjamin

I am guessing that is a big no then.
  9. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears

25% of draft picks stay with their teams.
  10. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Free agency can resolve -- and create -- a lot of problems. A lot of very good -- even Pro-Bowl quality players -- change uniforms every year. Heck,we got M. Bennett and Bushrod to fix our OL problem just this year. Best CB in NFL went to Tampa. When Peppers goes, it frees up a lot of money to shop for his replacement.
  11. The Benjamin

So.... do you trust Emery to fill the voids?
  12. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

Emery said he never see's the Bears having that top draft round pick. Meaning Bears will always be contenders so we will always be getting bottom picks in the draft line. So he is always going to have to find those pretty diamonds in the ruff which I feel he's doing a good job at. Like Kyle Long if Long got to stay in college one more year he easily would have been a top 5 pick in the next draft or maybe #1 pick. That's all I ask from Emery keep doing that, it's not asking much. Is it?
    • Like Like x 1
  13. dachuckster

dachuckster SuperFan

At this point I am willing to trust Emery. This is his first draft with his scouting organization. He drafted six players. Two are starting and initially seem to be playing well. Bostic could start and could be a at least a role player on D by mid-season. The rest of the 2013 draft class made the active roster.

If Emery can get 2 or 3 immediate impact players in the next 2 - 4 drafts, he would match the drafts that built the 85 Bears.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. DavidL

DavidL SuperFan

Again, it's not all about drafting. There are always going to be high-quality free agents available to GM's who do a good job of managing things.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. dachuckster

dachuckster SuperFan

I agree DavidL. I think Emery got a lot of value for the free agents he brought in this past off-season.

I hope Emery can build a surplus of decent players so we can start trading people for lower round draft choices. I think I read where that is part of Emery's overall plan (to have more than 7 picks in each draft). I hope it works out that way.

I think it is best to build a team through the draft and with UDFAs. You need your cap space to resign the players that you need to keep. While I like Bushrod and MBennett, we would not have needed to sign them (and pay a bit of a premium for them) if JA had a clue with drafting. Bennett is $20MM/4 years and Bushrod is $35MM/5 years.
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Nakoma1

Nakoma1

and if they don't and it happens a few years down the road ??? then what ???
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

I expect Emery will have sustained success in the draft as we move forward. We have expanded the scouting department and have a brilliant talent evaluator in Phil Emery. We fans, who are used to pitiful GM's and coaches - are now shazzzammed by 1 decent draft (2013). Get used to this being a glimpse of things to come.

Strap in. Enjoy the ride. This is how elite franchises operate. Top-tier GM & coaches.

We're now able to play with the big boys.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. ChiCityBears

ChiCityBears

Last year'x draft was not so good. The DE can only rush and Hardin was cut. Alshon is still green
  19. The Benjamin

Last years draft (his first) was without his scouting staff.
    • Like Like x 1
  20. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears

What about Frey he lookl
    Along with not having his own hand picked scouting team he was going on Lovie's wants. Not on the teams needs, after he realized that big changes were obviously made. Also you forgot Frey was in that draft and he looks pretty good at nickle so even though it wasn't what he liked it still better than what numbnuts used to provide. Also a great sign is he's not married to his draft picks he can cut them if they are not producing another great sign compared to NNs.
    • Like Like x 2