Bears worked out 5 QBs Tuesday

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Aug 30, 2013.

1. little bear

little bear

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...bears-browns-chicago-20130830,0,6673987.story

Could #Bears #Packers have a sibling rivalry at quarterback? Brother of Packers QB could be signed to practice squad

The Bears used quarterbacks Jordan Palmer and Trent Edwards Thursday night in the exhibition finale against the Browns but they already have done their homework on a potential young passer to sign to the practice squad.

Could their developmental quarterback be the younger brother of an MVP with the Packers?

It's a possibility. Multiple sources told the Tribune the Bears conducted a tryout Tuesday to evaluate five quarterbacks, one of them
    Jordan Rodgers, the younger brother of Aaron Rodgers out of Vanderbilt.

Also in the workout were Texas A&M's
    Jerrod Johnson, Alex Carder of Western Michigan, St. Xavier's Jimmy Coy and Findlay's Clay Belton. The workout included wide receivers and defensive backs and more positions.

The Bears are exploring quarterbacks who have eligibility for the practice squad. Palmer and Edwards are not eligible for the practice squad and if both are released general manager Phil Emery is expected to sign a third passer to the practice squad to work behind starter Jay Cutler and Josh McCown.

Matt Blanchard could have fit that role but he suffered a broken knuckle on his left hand, reached an injury settlement with the club and is out of the picture. Blanchard is not eligible to return until after Week 10. In the meantime, the club needs a third quarterback, either a veteran or an option for the practice squad.

Rodgers has a relationship with Cutler. He is the only quarterback in Vanderbilt history to lead Cutler's alma mater to consecutive bowl games. Rodgers passed for 2,539 yards last season with 15 touchdowns and five interceptions. He was 12-8 as a starter. The Jaguars signed him as a free agent following the draft but he was released in July.

Johnson has bounced around with the Eagles, Steelers, Seahawks and in the defunct UFL. Carder was a three-year starter for the Broncos and threw for 8,886 yards and 74 touchdowns in his career. Coy, who played at Maine South and helped lead St. Xavier to the 2011 NAIA national championship, spent eight days with the Calgary Stampeders in June. Belton started his college career at Miami (Ohio), transferred to Maryland and finished at Findlay. He also had a tryout for the Patriots this week and was with the Dolphins in the spring.

Four wide receivers known to have participated were
    Jason Hill, a third-round pick for the 49ers in 2007, Maurice Stovall, Ricardo Lockette and Jarred Fayson, who played at Illinois. Lockette could be targeted for the practice squad, sources say. The 49ers released him last week. Teams can begin forming eight-man practice squads at 11 a.m. Sunday.

Oh no: Coach Marc Trestman went out of his way to stump for struggling tight end Fendi Onobun this week after he dropped two passes last Friday against the Raiders. Onobun dropped another one in the second quarter Thursday night. It was a low thrown ball but the kind of play an NFL player needs to make.

Add in two holding penalties, one that was declined, and it was another rough outing even though he made catches of 20 and 17 yards on the initial drive of the third quarter. Then, a short pass went through his hands and Browns linebacker
    James-Michael Johnson returned it 23 yards for a touchdown.

Onobun dropped a touchdown pass in the first exhibition against the Panthers.

If the Bears want to keep him, they could look to add him to the practice squad as he is eligible.

--------------------

Kinda surprised they didn't invite former Kansas State star Collin Klein after the Texans waived him in May.
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01

heard one beat guy on the score say it will be interesting to see fans reaction when Fendi makes the team.....Seems that ever HC will have favorites...I will say this, even more then Hester, this guy has next to NO experience. So if they think he will develop fine, but it should be on the practice squad. If he ends up on the roster it speaks volumes that not everyone deserved the spot they got and there were certain people, regardless of talent or signs of potential, that shouldn't be on the team.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. ticat

ticat

Coy was with the calgary stampeders in june, I guess he was released.
  4. WearyBear

WearyBear

Sounds to me like Fendi is the J'marcus Webb of the tight end position. He's basically responsible for the pick six last night. He should have caught that ball.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

Onobun is in his 3rd year in the NFL, and with his 6th team. Wouldn't you think he'd know how to catch a football by now?

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  6. gramster10

gramster10

HOPE JAY STAYS HEALTHY // THE DROP OFF ISN'T THERE
  7. jbunch14

jbunch14

You got it Gramster (I think...)!
  8. little bear

little bear

Here's a list of all backup QBs released over the last couple of days. Check for updates.

- Caleb Hanie lol
    - Dayne Crist
    - Matt Leinart
    - Mike Kafka
    - Matt Scott
    - Collin Klein
    - Dennis Dixon
    - G.J. Kinne
    - Nick Stephens
    - Stephen McGee
    - Tim Jenkins
    - Caleb Terbush
    - Seth Doege
    - Ryan Katz
  9. a_miljan

a_miljan

mmmmm i heard that caleb kid is good, maybe we should try him
  10. little bear

little bear

Panthers release Jimmy Clausen according to Adam Schefter.
  11. riczaj01

riczaj01

ZZ just reported that Blanchard had hand surgery and will take 4-6 weeks to recover
  12. little bear

little bear

Just 6 weeks? Man, why didn't they put him on the PUp list?!

I'd take Blanchard over any other washed up backup QB any day of the week.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. little bear

little bear

GB released Vince Young. I didn't see this one coming.
  14. James Gorman

James Gorman

QB Tim Tebow was just released ...i know there is allot of contraversy surrounding him. but i believe most of that is the fact that he keeps getting bounced around from team to team, having to learn a new playbook. If the Bears could pick up his contract at a fairly low rate of 630,000 (for a former starting QB) as 2nd string or third. To give him 2-3 seasons to learn the plays and how the Bears play. I could see Tim being a very solid secondary if Cutler ever gets injured.
  15. riczaj01

riczaj01

Just say no to Tebow. If Mcdumbdumb and Kraft couldn't convense Bellecheat to keep him, then there is no fixing Tebow. NE was his best place to be able to sit back and learn how to qb w/out the worry of ever having to see the field, if he couldn't do it there then he's done.
  16. JPosh2012

JPosh2012

For Tebow to have any success in the NFL he needs to play H-Back IMO. He has the size to do it but the question is would he be willing to? That is the question.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. riczaj01

riczaj01

JP, I agree I heard some people that watched his practices and play say his throwing mostion actually got worse from his days in Denver. Guy, much like every other FL qb, was not cut to play in the NFL.

He might work as an H-Back, but that means a guy w/a learning disability, has to learn a completely new position w/run routes, passing routes and blocking and blitz assignments. Good luck w/that. Dude is not long to play in the NFL. Just another failed FL qb who's fanbase got excited b/c they don't know that college and the NFL are different beasts.
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68

I'm afraid TT is done as an NFL player. The ship sailed long ago on converting from a "QB" to a TE or FB or H-back type. Tebow was stubborn on insisting that he was a QB when he obviously never had the passing skills to succeed at that in the NFL. A few years ago some teams might have invested the time in him to teach him a new skill set but its too late now at his age.
  19. MrDynamite32

MrDynamite32

Haha, I like what you did there, but I hope he doesn't become "Hands of Stone" 2.0

EDIT: Just learned he got cut. Oh well, guess some other team will take a chance on him now.
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  20. short faced bear

short faced bear

I'll take keeping cinnabon over Webbhead any day. At least in this case I would think that they would know he is a project and not foist him upon us. Still, as of now he is Davis 2.0