Bears worked out 6'5" WR, Terrence Toliver. There is still 1 spot open on the PS

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Oct 25, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,339 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    This guy looked pretty solid to me at training camp. He's 6'5" 205 pounds with good hands. His speed is 4.52, so he's not that fast.......but it's the same 40 time as Brandon Marshall, so maybe for a big guy it's okay.

I'd love to see this guy on the P.S.

2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,942 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    I wonder if they do move on from Cutler if they'll let Marshal also walk and have Jeffrey be the #1 and have TT try and be the #2 and keep Bennett, Anderson and MWilson as the backups. Those are some huge guys out there for a young qb be able to easily see and target.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,339 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    I liked TT at camp, but he also needs work. He's a project at this point, but I'd like to think he's a great practice squad guy this year, then let him have another training camp and see where he's at.
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,942 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    WR is one of the hardest positions to learn, it's why I didn't expect much from Jeffery last year, or from MWilson this year. Now add on this guy isn't NFL ready to boot? Ya it might take 2-3 years, but you have Bennett, Anderson, Wilson until he catches on, if he does. I guess I'm just projecting, which isn't healthy.

Didn't they a guy that was like 6'7" WR in camp also this year?
  5. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    That would be stupid to tie Marshall's fate to Cutler's. IF they decide to move on from Jay, it wouldn't make, really any sense to get rid of one of the best WR's in the league, while the guy developing behind him is still making rookie money. If you bring in a rookie QB, of what good, really, would it be to trade/cut Marshall and hope one of these 6'12 c*cksuckers can "fill in"?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,195 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    88ß
    Would be good to have TT on the PS but I hope they keep cycling through/scraping the barrel for DT's and just plain D. Marshal's contract isn't that overwhelming and he certainly has some years left.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,339 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    They had a number of WR's in camp, but this guy seemed to stand out because he had good hands to go with the 6'5" height. He looked like a taller but lighter Brandon Marshall, who as about the same speed as B.Marsh. He just looks special. The one thing he has is good hands. I'm so sick of the Bears trying to develop TE's and WR's who have "measureables" but who can't catch a football.

Also, I like the idea of developing our own young talent when possible. This guy looks like he's worthy of a practice squad position so we have a solid WR "in the works" so we don't have to tap the draft for a few years for a WR. I know we could probably use a "burner" instead of another Brandon Marshall type. But you could do a lot worse than the big boys we have in Alshon, Marshall & maybe this guy being developed for a couple of years down the road.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,942 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    I don't disagree until you look at Marshals past antics and how they amplify w/out Cutty around. It's one of the other reasons I'm a believer in FT'ing Cutler next year.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,206 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    245ß
    Ric makes a good point and Marshall definitely seems more grounded with Cutler around. I do think the more likely outcome for Jay this offseason will be the FT and then they'll decide what to do with the dynamic duo after next season when Briggs contract comes off the books.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    Oh, I absolutely agree we should franchise Jay. However, the diagnosis of his mental disorder has more to do with his staying out of trouble than being around Jay Cutler does. Hell, remember the Bears Dolphins game, when Marshall caught a first down and spiked it in Jay's direction? He was undiagnosed at the time, and was still pretty reckless. Hell, he was getting arrested during his first time teamed up with Jay, so Jay's not some magic elixir here. Brandon's a professional, and for the amount he's produced for Chicago, at this point, on this salary, there's absolutely no reason to trade him.
  11. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    June 17, 2006: Marshall and longtime girlfriend Rasheedah Watley both filed police reports alleging physical abuse by the other in a long altercation at an Orlando apartment. No arrests or charges were made.

Jan. 1, 2007: Marshall was at the Denver nightclub Shelter with Broncos teammates Javon Walker and Darrent Williams, attending a birthday party for Nuggets forward Kenyon Martin. As the group left the club in a limousine, Williams was shot fatally in the neck by an unknown assailant. Walker later said the shooter was likely another man at the nightclub who was seeking retaliation after an altercation with Marshall's cousin that evening. Marshall testified at the trial of gunman Willie Clark that he helped escalate the dispute that led to Williams' death.

Jan. 24, 2007: According to the Denver Post, police interviewed Marshall and his father after an argument in an Orlando parking lot. Marshall claimed his father tried to hit him with his car. His father claimed Marshall had fired a gun. Both men declined to press charges.

March 18, 2007: In Atlanta, Watley told police Marshall punched her and took her purse while in a hotel. Marshall was gone before police arrived. No charges were filed.

March 21, 2007: According to the Denver Post, police in Palm Beach County, Fla., interviewed Marshall and Watley twice in the same night after two loud arguments. Both said the disturbances were not physical in nature. No arrests or charges were made.

March 26, 2007: Marshall was arrested in a Denver suburb on suspicion of domestic violence. Watley reported Marshall prevented a taxi she was in from leaving his house. Marshall completed anger management counseling and the charges were dropped two months later.

June 8, 2007: According to the Denver Post, two incident reports were filed by Atlanta police. A friend of Watley’s claimed Marshall hit her car and then threw a rock at the passenger door as Watley was riding in the passenger seat. Watley also told police Marshall cut her in the thigh and punched her in the face. She was taken by ambulance to a local hospital. Marshall was not present when police arrived. No charges were filed.

June 30, 2007: According to the Denver Post, Watley told Atlanta police Marshall punched and choked her at his condo. She had a bruise and scratches. Marshall was not present when police arrived. No charges were filed.

Oct. 22, 2007: Marshall was arrested in Denver and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol. He was pulled over driving the wrong way on a one-way street hours after a game. He later pleaded guilty to a reduced charge of driving while ability-impaired and was sentenced to one year of probation and 24 hours of community service.

[​IMG]
    March 6, 2008: Marshall was arrested on charges of misdemeanor battery in Atlanta after a dispute with Watley. She told police he punched her in the mouth and eye. Marshall said he cut his hand on glass.

Aug. 6, 2008: NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Marshall for three games for violating the league’s personal conduct policy. The suspension was reduced to one regular-season game and a fine of an additional game check, costing him $52,353.

The bulk of his altercations were while Jay Cutler was his teammate. You guys are looking at the wrong thing, when judging Brandon Marshall. Jay Cutler has been irrelevant to whether or not he gets arrested. Once he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder (which so happened to fall in a very close time-frame to his reunion with Jay), did he stop having "run ins" with the law.

EDIT: I'm not trying to sell anyone on ditching Jay Cutler, as I think, (as an aside: were the unexpected to happen, and this team goes on a roll, and getting Jay back to lead us into the playoffs, then never mind everything else) seeing as we have a significant number of free agents that will either not be back next year, or at a cheaper cost, we should franchise Jay, give him one more year to see if he can last 14-16 games.
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,942 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    I'm not talking about his off the field issues, I'm talking about his antics towards the team. Kicking a ball off the field of practice and forcing himself out of Denver, then acting up and forcing himself out of Miami.
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß
    All signs of an undiagnosed mood disorder. He's on medication now, that will stop that type of behavior.

Symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder:

• Emotional instability due to significant reactivity of mood (e.g., intense episodic dysphoria, irritability, or anxiety usually lasting a few hours and only rarely more than a few days)
    • Inappropriate, intense anger or difficulty controlling anger (e.g., frequent displays of temper, constant anger, recurrent physical fights)
    • Impulsivity in at least two areas that are potentially self-damaging
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,942 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    945ß
    Ya, or it could be he's a pouty bitch when he doesn't have a guy he feels can get him the rock....ie like most Diva WR's.

You could be right, it could all be BPD, but I wouldn't want to throw down that bet.
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,339 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    734ß
    I do think Jay and Brandon are good for each other. I understand about the mental disorder too. But having these two guys together again seems to be working out pretty well. And it goes both ways, because Jay seems better with Brandon here too.
  16. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    412ß

You're seeing a false cause here. Yeah, he's had his "pouty" moments on the Bears, as when he blamed his hip problem on carrying the team last year. We all know what he meant by that was, that getting the ball so many times is going to put you at risk for injury. As for this year, and having a few games where he wasn't the #1 target, has there been a word out from him? Hell, if anything, he's more of a leader, and even reached out to Titus Young, because he shows signs of a severe personality disorder himself. He might be an emotional person, but the socially unacceptable characteristics he displayed in the past, are obviously symptoms of his borderline personality disorder, which he has gone over in a few interviews.

To hit on what JABF said, I think having Brandon Marshall is more beneficial to Jay (besides the obvious statistics), than Jay to Brandon, as the Bears gave him 0% reason to ever trust their wide receivers (Just think, if Devin Hester could catch an easily thrown football, he would've had 2 touchdowns to start the NFCC against the Packers), and having Brandon was most definitely a confidence builder that Jay needed. Yeah, he probably threw the ball too him too many times last year, but when your 2nd and 3rd targets at WR rarely see the field, and your main tight end leads the league in drops, and you don't like dumpoff passes to your RB, what else are you gonna do?
  17. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +450 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    57ß
    I'm not sure how this "if Jay goes Marshall goes" idea started floating around but I don't think that theres anything to it. Bmarsh was a distraction in Miami because he had nobody to throw to him and he struggled. IF we moved on from cutler and IF we got a quality replacement I kinda doubt that he would be a problem.
  18. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +610 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    208ß
    Bears Sign Jordan Palmer, Make Several Other Roster Moves
    summary..
    Waived Maneri
    Waived Wilson then resigned him to practice squad
    Waived Lockette
    Signed Palmer
    Signed Grant
    Signed Toliver to PS

Anybody know anything about Grant? his numbers don't sound very impressive.
  19. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +215 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    I just want to win. I don't care if everyone's jersey says 'Williams' or 'Jones' or 'Smith'. I don't care if our QB pouts, shaves his legs or sleeps with a stuffed animal.

After watching games all day yesterday (especially the Pack who NEVER PUNTED YESTERDAY), we are in some serious trouble.

I just want to win...
  20. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +283 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    24ß
    Toliver is the type of WR that Cutler loves, and he did look like a very good prospect in Training Camp, but I doubt he will see the field anytime soon, and just because he is on the PS does not mean he will stay there, they regularly change up who is on the PS.
    • Like Like x 1