Bears' WR, TE roster battles wide open

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 22, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,173 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    52ß
    I'd take constant dumpster diving throughout the season vs. Cinnabon. Never want to see another K.Davis clone again.

Or a Jackiejokeman clone for that matter.
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,715 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,241ß
    I'll cover ground I've already walked over with this guy once more. They say he looked really good on OTAs so this could be nerves or just a lack of concentration. I saw Bennett getting in his face after that last drop and trying to pump him up a little while at the same time chastise him for blowing two easy catches. But there's also a possibility this kid has a vision problem that's affecting his depth perception. I didn't see the TD pass he dropped so I can't offer an opinion there but to me he looks more like he's having trouble judging the ball and looking it into his hands. He's not positioned correctly to make the catch and that was very evident of the drop of that Cutler pass. He didn't come back for it instead he reached for it like he was fielding a grounder. I've coached outfielders who did that often because they had trouble judging the flight of the ball and it's a depth perception issue that may be fixable.

This kid has been with a half dozen teams and has great size and athleticism yet he gets cut and we can all see why. But what I'm asking is do the Bears or any of those other teams know exactly why he's having problems catching the ball? Has his vision and his depth perception been checked to at least eliminate that as a possibility? That you can fix but hands of stone is probably terminal. So which is it? Is he misjudging the ball or simply dropping it because he has lousy hands? I don't know the answer but you'd think as a pretty good college BB player that his ability to catch an object wouldn't be an issue would it? But those passes were coming to him from just a few feet away or maybe 15-20 feet at most. Here's we're talking about 10 - 30 yards or more and that's a whole different thing when it comes to depth perception.

They say his blocking has improved and it's pretty apparent that he knows how to get open so if all that's left to solve is why he can't seem to catch I'd sure investigate every possibility before I cut him loose.
  3. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +574 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    201ß
    When you are 6'6" specimen you have to prove you can't play. If Weems was doing this how long do you think he would be here? I know you can't teach size but haven't we seen this last year? I'll take 5'6" TE that can be trusted to catch, over someone that looks perfect the old Alonzo Spellman syndrome....
  4. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    I think it's part nerves & the classic, "trying to run with the ball before you catch it", thing.
  5. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Veteran

Ratings:
    +574 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    201ß
    Claiming it his nerves he shouldn't be playing NFL football. That to me would be instant call to be cut. So every serious pressure game is going to be same excuse. Pros are expected to handle the pressure/nerves and rightly so that's what separates the pros from the the wanna bes.
  6. BearJim

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    DTB, you're right. If it is nerves & he can't get past it, he will get cut. I rewatched some of those drops he's had & it looked like he was trying to run with the ball before he caught. Not unusual for a young player, still learning to play the game, trying to make a play to impress the coaching staff. This is something he'll either improve upon as well, or get cut. We'll see what happens.
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,113 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    410ß
    I wanted (so wanted) Kellen Davis to be "The Guy" at TE. I "rationalized" his stone hands for a long time, but eventually I realized he simply couldn't catch a football. Same with our midget wide receivers under Lovie Smith. I desperately wanted to believe a guy like Hester could be a true #1 wide receiver like they told us he would be (heck even a #2 or #3 guy). I wanted so very much to believe. But all these stone hand guys were just that - people who couldn't catch a football.

Useless.

This guy is worse than K.Davis. He looks pretty bad out there. Just another K.Davis hands of stone guy. It's like J'Marcus Webb having the ideal size, but who couldn't block my grandma. Onobum has ideal size too. Couldn't catch a pass if his very life depended upon it. If it's his vision that's the problem, the poor sap is blind and needs a seeing eye dog. Time to move on and get a guy who can catch a football.

One last point. Cutler won't throw to a guy in the regular season that drops passes like this. Eventually, in K.Davis situation it was like the guy was a dead man in Cutler's eyes. I could see this happening with Onobun. We may keep him, but don't expect Cutler to throw to him in key situations. He'll just be a dead position on the field. No balls thrown to him.
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  8. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,085 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    111ß
    Lets just cut Fendi (or at best give him a shot on the PS if possible) and dumpster dive for a vet TE. Shiancoe is available. I don't know what else to do.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,715 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,241ß
    OK look. This isn't Lovie Smith and the worst offensive coaching staff in the NFL we're talking about so let's put Kellen Davis in the past and as for Alonzo Spellman that was an entirely different situation. That guy had an untreated Bi-Polar disorder the team was dealing with and Spellman was not and if his life after football is any indication he still isn't or at least wasn't for many, many years. With all humility I know a lot about that too.

It maybe that he has stone hands, it may be that he's just nervous like a rookie, and it may be that he has a vision problem but it's not related to his acuity 99 so a seeing eye dog won't help. He can see the ball just fine but he may not be able to judge it's distance and trajectory as it comes to him so he either reaches for it before it's catchable or he lets it get into his body instead of his hands.

And now back to the main point. Are any of those things curable and the answer is yes they are. Guaranteed curable? No! So if he's still around they haven't decided yet whether or not his problems can be fixed and they don't have any better prospect to take his roster spot right now so they continue to work on him. Maybe a better prospect hits the streets this week and we sign him and let Onobun go. Who knows?
    • Like Like x 1
  10. BearJim

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    Sorry 99, but I have to disagree with ya on this one. He is nothing like Davis. Davis is like a robot. About as flexible as a piece of wood. Onobun is quite athletic. Just dropping passes for whatever reason or reasons. Davis would put both hands together & the ball just bounced off. I really believe Onobun just needs to relax & play. He'll get another chance against Cleveland. If he makes some plays he might stick. If not maybe the PS if he's illegible. I totally trust Trestman on this.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +298 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Oh-No-Bum couldn't catch an STD on Spring Break. Oh-No-Bum couldn't catch fish with dynamite. Oh-No-Bum couldn't catch a redneck with a pickup full of Budweiser. Oh-No-Bum couldn't catch a nerd with anime. Oh-No-Bum couldn't catch a ride with a serial killer. Oh-N-Bum couldn't catch a beach ball with an ocean. Oh-No-Bum couldn't catch a Michael Frolik wrister.
  12. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +298 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    40ß
    Oh-No-Bum couldn't catch a hippie with free Phish tickets. Oh-No-Bum couldn't catch a Parrothead with a margarita. Oh-No-Bum couldn't catch a pedophile with Chris Hansen. Oh-No-Bum couldn't catch a dog with a butcher's shop. Oh-No-Bum couldn't catch a tween's attention with a romantic vampire movie starring Justin Bieber. Oh-No-Bum couldn't catch Rosie O'Donnell with a democratic fried food convention. Oh-No-Bum couldn't catch a Scooby Doo villain.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,113 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    410ß
    I hope you're right, and he can be a rock solid TE for us. But in the end, if he's our backup receiving TE, he has to be able to catch the football. He can be the best route runner on planet earth, but if he can't catch, it's all pointless.

But maybe the guy can relax and start catching balls thrown his way. I will admit that when he dropped those easy passes, I felt like I was watching stone-hands Davis again.
  14. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He would be my first cut if I was running the show at Halas Hall.
  15. BearJim

Ratings:
    +146 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    15ß
    I guess I just like his potential 99. But you're right, if he doesn't prove he can catch passes he won't be a Bear for long. I guess we should both be glad that Davis is no longer a Bear. Hopefully our new starting TE will start being more consistent catching the ball too.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,113 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    410ß
    On a positive note, if we do keep him, and he does improve to be a good TE for us, then that will be a huge indication of how much better these receiving coaches are, as compared with the Lovie Smith era. Sometimes I forget that we have "real" coaches now. Imagine that? Coaches who can coach :-)
    • Like Like x 1
  17. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,715 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,241ß
    So ah, you're saying he might improve then huh? Just needs a little more confidence? :p
  18. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,085 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    111ß
    Sooooooo, you're saying there's a chance.....?