Bennett Absent from Offseason Program

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Apr 26, 2015 at 7:40 AM.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    3,612ß
    Ratings:
    +2,091 / 3 / -6
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/p...on-uncertain-for-matt-forte-martellus-bennett

Minicamp participation uncertain for Matt Forte, Martellus Bennett

CHICAGO – With phase one of the Chicago Bears’ voluntary offseason program over, the team transitions to a three-day voluntary minicamp scheduled for Tuesday through Thursday at Halas Hall.

While the April minicamp is voluntary, the attendance of at least two veteran players -- running back Matt Forte and tight end Martellus Bennett -- is uncertain.

Forte, entering the final year of his contract, announced on Twitter on April 13 that he decided to remain in South Florida to train instead of participating in the opening phase of the offseason program that featured strength and conditioning and physical rehabilitation.

Bennett’s decision to skip the first two weeks of the program went unannounced.

Although Bennett stopped by Halas Hall one day this week to greet teammates, he did not officially participate in the phase one portion of the program, according to multiple sources.

Bennett is coming off a career year in 2014 where he topped all NFL tight ends in catches (90) and also set personal bests in receiving yards (1,038) and touchdowns (six).

He was a late addition to the Pro Bowl roster after New England’s Rob Gronkowski pulled out following the Patriots’ Super Bowl victory, making Bennett the first Chicago tight end selected to the Pro Bowl since Mike Ditka in 1965.

Bennett signed a four-year, $20.4 million deal with $9.215 million in guarantees on March 13, 2013. His compensation for 2015 is scheduled to include a $4.9 million base salary and $100,000 workout bonus.

Since joining the Bears, Bennett has 155 catches for 1,675 yards and 11 touchdowns.

However, Bennett’s average per year salary of his current deal ($5.1 million) places him far down the list amongst the NFL’s highest paid tight ends. Seattle’s Jimmy Graham tops the list at $10 million per season, followed by 11 other tight ends averaging a minimum of $6.4 million per year.

Next week should provide the Bears with a clearer understanding of Forte and Bennett’s offseason intentions.

--------------------

2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    4,318ß
    Ratings:
    +4,619 / 4 / -1
    He's 2 years in on a 4 year contract. If he wants more money just halfway into the contract, that doesn't seem right. I could see it if he was in the last year and wanted a new contract. He's going to get $5-million this season. That's decent money. If he's wanting $10-mil like Graham, that's just too much money, IMHO.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. dachuckster

dachuckster Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    705ß
    Ratings:
    +620 / 1 / -0
    Just checked his contract on overthcap.com In total contract value he is ranked #13 out of all TEs under contract in the NFL. It doesn't look like he is being terribly underpaid.

If he were ranked way lower (like the 30th TE or something) it would be different. I hope he doesn't pull something stupid like a hold out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    679ß
    Ratings:
    +429 / 0 / -1
    He's a cancer. I hope Pace and Fox move him.

His pattern of behavior and lack of leadership/accountability is troubling. Also, if Marc Trestman feels the need to suspend you from team activities...you're a problem.

5. Bear_40

Bear_40 Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    222ß
    Ratings:
    +120 / 1 / -0
    It's all about the money.

6. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    679ß
    Ratings:
    +429 / 0 / -1
    And it shows with this guy. I don't recall ever seeing a guy like this on a John Fox coached team. I hope that trend continues.

7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    2,827ß
    Ratings:
    +2,226 / 1 / -0
    Julius Peppers? Greg Hardy? News flash...all these guys are about the money. They have a limits time to cash in and they should try to get all they can. If forte not being there isn't a big deal neither should this be a big deal.

8. EternalChampion

EternalChampion Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    679ß
    Ratings:
    +429 / 0 / -1
    Hardy was a rookie when Fox left, so I don't think that comparison bodes well.

As for Peppers, he left Carolina for bigger money, but I don't think anyone would ever accuse him of being a dirtbag malcontent. I can't say the same about Bennett.

9. kevperro

kevperro Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    411ß
    Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't call him a dirt-bag. He certainly can be a distraction but most of it is his atypical personality.

Not every guy on your team is going to be a Class A personality "leader". If they have talent to play their position you have to learn to work with them. Bennett has had some behavior problems and that will continue under Fox. I'm hopeful he can manage it because the guy is productive on the field and entertaining off.

10. soulman

soulman Hall of Famer
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,168ß
    Ratings:
    +2,114 / 7 / -3
    The trouble is HE may not agree with you chuckster. :rofl2:

Given his production he's getting less than guys he's far better than but most NFL teams won't consider re-doing a deal that has two years left to go. The days of holdouts over stuff like this should be over now that the CBA allows teams to fine players for it.

So far I don't see any of this as being that big a deal. Now if Forte and/or Bennett begin to publicly bitch about wanting new deals then we may have something to talk about but so far this means very little. Players are still within their rights to skip voluntary stuff.