Bennett Has A "Talk" With Onobun................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Aug 27, 2013.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,913 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Chicago Bears
    Bennett has 'heart-to-heart' with Onobun
    August, 26, 2013
    Aug 26
    6:20
    PM CT
    By Michael C. Wright | ESPNChicago.com

LAKE FOREST, Ill. -- Martellus Bennett picked up the phone shortly after the team’s 6 a.m. arrival Saturday from the trip to Oakland, Calif., and called fellow tight end Fendi Onobun, who was feeling down after dropping what should have been a touchdown during Chicago’s 34-26 win over the Raiders.

“I told him, ‘Come by the crib,’” Bennett explained.

[​IMG]
    OnobunOnce Onobun arrived, he and Bennett sat on a couch for four hours engaged in what the veteran tight end described as a “heart-to-heart” conversation.

“I was just telling him that I think he just gets to the point where he just thinks football, football, football,” Bennett said. “But you can lose yourself. Football is not who we are; it’s what we do. Sometimes, when it becomes who you are, you kind of lose yourself. Every little thing that goes wrong with it, it affects you in a major way instead of (you) being able to deal with the adversity. Bad stuff happens in football. You’re going to have the drops.”

In Onobun’s case, he suffered two against the Raiders, including a first-quarter drop from Jay Cutler that should have gone for a 26-yard touchdown.

“I don’t want to say (he was) too rattled,” Bennett said. “It’s just one of those things like you go out there, you work so hard every single day. He stays after (practice) catching the ball. He wants to do so well. You want to do so well. (When) things don’t go the way you want it to go, it affects him to another level than it does other guys.”

Bennett should know a little more about Onobun than most. The two were basketball teammates at Alief Taylor High School in Houston. Onobun never played high school football, and spent four years at Arizona as a basketball player before transferring to Houston to play football for one season. At Houston, Onobun caught two passes. But the St. Louis Rams still used a sixth-round pick to select him in the 2010 draft. Since then, Onobun has spent time with a total of six NFL teams.

“Fendi Onobun has had a very good camp, and has been uncharacteristically inconsistent in the games,” Bears coach Marc Trestman said. “We have seen in the games. For those of you that have been to practice, you’ve seen things in practice that we haven’t seen in the games. Does that mean we’ve lost confidence? No. We’ve got to continue to have him work through it. This is really his first year of football and he’s shown the ability to do it. He’s just got to work through this phase when he gets under the lights (so) that he can continue to play as consistently, and I think he can do that down the road.”

But why hasn’t he?

“I can’t speak for that,” Trestman said. “I just think it’s the next stage in his development. We’re all pulling for him both in the locker room and on the field that he will continue to progress and get through this little batting slump he has been (going through) during the games that we really haven’t seen during practice.”

That’s why Bennett sat down Onobun on “this nice black leather couch” the veteran described as “straight from Italy, not American made."

While it’s possible Onobun might be overthinking the game, in part because of his background in basketball, Bennett downplayed that theory.

“We just sat down. We talked hours and hours, not just (about) football, but life in general,” Bennett said. “I told him, ‘Don’t let people use (your basketball background) as an excuse for you. You’ve been bouncing around the league a couple of years now. You can’t use that as a crutch. You’re a smart guy, graduated college.’ I didn’t graduate college, but he’s not smarter than me. He’s a smart guy. He gets it. But just letting your body do the work and not your mind, that’s what football is about.”
  2. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,913 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Two observations;

1) Sounds to me like most of his problems are coming from self induced nervousness and the pressure to "make it" this time around. In the past he was more than likely a first cut kind of guy or a PS prospect but this time he sees that he actually has a shot at making an NFL roster and it's screwing with his head. If Trestman is claiming that he's been fine in practice then it sure seems the problem is more mental than physical.

2) Based on what he's saying it also looks like they plan on keeping him around one way or another. He seems to have a plan for him so there's a chance he'll make the roster. I doubt they would have released Pope unless they planned on keeping Onobun. It's not a lock but I'd say it's better than 50/50 they keep him. Having a good game this week would help a lot.

Just my thoughts on it.
    • Like Like x 1
  3. a_miljan

a_miljan Veteran

Ratings:
    +293 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    100ß
    this time of year is really heavy for those guys, classic do or die situation. unfortunately, it doesnt mean that if cant cut it at this moment he wont shine next time. its really a mix of stress, luck and keeping it cool. i feel bad for some of them, they only have a few chances. i know, i know, thats life, but... its tough
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,506 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    813ß
    Kind of feel bad for the guy, he has loads of athletic abilities, but very little football experience, and regardless of what the article says, that DOES play a factor.

Still, i wouldnt surprised to see him on the Practice Squad this year, and perhaps earning a full roster spot by next season, maybe this year if he's lucky and they believe in him enough. But, im a sucker for underdogs, so i hope he makes the team and becomes a solid TE for the Bears.
    • Like Like x 3
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,913 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Yep, I'm pullin' for him too and not only because we need him to step up his game but because I think that having a guy like his friend to mentor is a good thing for Bennett too. Look at how Marshall has matured since he arrived and taken it upon himself to mentor the younger receivers like Jeffery. Bennett sees that and sees his opportunity to do the same.

I think a big reason why Jeffery is so much better prepared already this year is the offseason work he did with Marshall. I can envision him and Bennett being able to do the same with Onobun but first they need to get him past his current psychological issues and help him get his confidence up. He's probably still a year away from what he needs to be but at least he's working with people who believe in him and that a biggie.
    • Like Like x 4
  6. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +744 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    You're right, that IS life and a lot of people of much lesser means have to go through similar levels of stress for far less. However, I agree with you, while "that's life" it doesn't mean we can't empathize with his position. Dealing with high stress situations is what often separates the men from the boys; the amatures from the professionals; but when that stress can mean the difference between you being special and hundreds of thousands of dollars, if not millions or going out and joining the rest of us working stiffs, I can imagine that stress level can be enormous.

I remember getting butterflies before my high school games, and once you make the playoffs, they are the size of vultures, but that is NOTHING compared to what these young guys just trying to catch a break must feel. They are not the high draft picks and they will never be the Superstars; they are the lunch bucket guys that are needed to be competent to fill out the roster and make an occasional play when called upon. I never feel sorry for the Julius Peppers or Aaron Rodgers of the world, but I do feel for these guys every year. It's never easy to see your dreams on the precipice. Good luck to him.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    60ß
    Oh-No-Bum couldn't catch a little league eephus pitch.
  8. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +294 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    318ß
    Dan Pompai (sp) was on the radio today and said he looks good in practice - just $h!t$ the bed during games . Kid needs to think 1 thing and 1 thing ONLY - " catch the ball first " ! Maybe he's afraid of getting lit-up . Well it's football . Man up or go home .
  9. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    60ß
    Oh-No-Bum couldn't catch a douche bag with a warehouse full of free Ed Hardy shirts.
  10. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +677 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    376ß
    I wish this said they went home and they pulled the jugs machine out and played with that for 4 hours till his hands bleed. Then I would have more sympathy for the guy. I can talk all I want to Stuart Smilley but still it isn't going to make me play basketball like MJ no matter how much I want it. It's called blood, sweat and tears and sometimes that still not enough welcome to life. Sometimes we have to give life a real hard look in the mirror and maybe it's just not for him and that's ok. "Because I'm good enough , I'm smart enough and gosh darn it I like me."
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    If this guy "gets the jitters" and drops balls in pre-season games, just what can we expect from him in REAL games, where a game - or a season - is on the line?

It's a "K.Davis" thing all over again. Run from these stone handed "receiving" TE guys. If they can't catch, then they can't help the team. Period.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +207 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    417ß
    So we have TWO TE's that drop balls ?

Girl at the drive thu : Good morning what would you like to order ?

Guy in the car : Yes Id like to get a double order of Bennett Onobun without seseme seeds.

Girl at the drive thu : Would you like to make that into a combo with fries and a drink ?

Guy in the car : No just the double Bennett Onobun without seseme seeds.

Girl at the drive thu : Sir we dont serve Onobun without seseme seeds.

Guy in the car : Cant you just scrape the seseme seeds off the bun ?

Girl at the drive thu : Sir ...
  13. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Why would we keep a guy who can't catch the damn ball in a PRE-SEASON game???? I don't even want to think about what happens in Bennett gets injured and he's our #1 TE. Lord help Jay Cutler.
  14. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,465 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    906ß
    I just want us to draft a "real" receiving TE next draft. No basketball players, swimming pool jumpers or circus monkeys. Draft the real deal. You know, somebody that can actually catch a football. Is that too much to ask?
  15. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,200 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    How sad is it when I think Adams is light years ahead of Cinnabon.
  16. Tarkus

Tarkus Veteran

Ratings:
    +270 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    If history has shown us anything, it's that the good Lord isn't a Cutler fan
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,258 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    301ß
    Just CUT Fendi already, geezus. You think anyone else is going to snatch him up? Haha.

If Sheffler comes available, sign him and cut Adams too.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. lklrlolnlilklsox

Ratings:
    +314 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    60ß
    Oh-No-Bum couldn't catch Gilbert Grape's mom with a doughnut breakfast-in-bed.
  19. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +207 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    417ß

Yeah but he may be able to burn the house down.