Bennett takes on all comers

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by short faced bear, Aug 3, 2013.

1. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,228 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    150ß
    Bears tight end gets physical with defensive backs at chippy practice

By Brad Biggs, Chicago Tribune reporter

8:35 p.m. CDT, August 2, 2013

BOURBONNAIS — Bears tight end Martellus Bennett often goes by Marty B and he was Marty The Brawler in Friday's chippy practice at Olivet Nazarene University.

The tight end was taking on all comers or at least all defensive backs. Things got rough between Bennett and safeties Major Wright, Chris Conte and Craig Steltz even before nickel back Kelvin Hayden tackled Bennett after a completion in a team drill.

Tempers flared immediately and Bennett threw a few punches as teammates quickly joined in. The mini-fracas on the hottest day of practice yet was broken up quickly. Later, Bennett and Wright got into it again briefly.

"It's hot, you know," Bennett said. "I am actually a mean person. I know you all think I joke around and (stuff) but I am very aggressive. They are aggressive with me, I am aggressive with them. You come hard at me, I come hard at you all day. I don't back down for anything, anyone.

"It's just the way I play. So, it started feeling like a game, there was tackling, so I turned into game mode."

Of course, in a game Bennett likely would be ejected for throwing punches. He denied that happened but it was pretty clear he did. There were no hard feelings.

"It gets everybody riled up," Wright said. "Even if you were not having a good day that kind of gets you going. It was a good day. Overall, today was a good day other than that little scuffle we got into. But that happens for teams."

Coach Marc Trestman wasn't concerned and said Bennett was a stand-up guy with teammates in the huddle at the end of the practice.

"He stood up and handled himself with great dignity and showed his teammates a lot of respect," Trestman said. "They see how much he loves this game and what he can do for our team."

Said Bennett: "I am a blue-collar player and that is what I always will be. I enjoy playing like that. Just part of the game. We have one-on-one's all day. I'm not really losing any battles right now so … I ain't trippin.'"

Plan of action: Wide receiver Brandon Marshall is expected to practice Saturday night at Soldier Field after his third day off in five days to rest a hip that had arthroscopic surgery in January. Marshall was given Monday's practice off heading into Tuesday's scheduled day of rest for all players and then he was sidelined on Friday.

"This has been part of the plan," Trestman said. "We were going to go three days on, and one day off. We did that the first week. We decided to go two days on, today off, so he could work tomorrow night, which will be a shorter practice in itself."

Marshall missed virtually the entire offseason program but the club has maintained the record-setter from a year ago will be fine. He was joined on the sideline by defensive end Julius Peppers and cornerback Charles Tillman, who also were given days off. Left tackle Jermon Bushrod (right calf) remained sidelined but he did work on the side with a trainer at the start of the practice. He's probably questionable for Friday's exhibition opener at Carolina and said he didn't want to rush back and make the injury worse.

The Bears announced defensive end Corey Wootton is "day-to-day" after he underwent an MRI on his hip. Middle linebacker D.J. Williams (right calf), defensive lineman Jamaal Anderson (right knee) and offensive tackle Jonathan Scott (right knee) were also out.

Extra points: There was extensive red zone work in practice and receiver Alshon Jeffery continues to be a productive target for quarterback Jay Cutler in the end zone. … Kyle Moore got some time running with the first team at defensive end. … Cornerback Tim Jennings returned after missing two days for the birth of a child. … Free safety Chris Conte picked off Cutler on a pass that sailed over Earl Bennett. … Princeton linebacker Andrew Starks, who hails from Plainfield, was signed to replace kicker Austin Signor, who was waived. Starks took part in May's rookie minicamp on a tryout basis.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...3-bits-bears-chicago-20130803,0,7231788.story
  2. CBears

CBears Rookie

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2013