Big Cornerback: Bears Interview Nebraska’s Stanley Jean-Baptiste

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jan 22, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,057 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    Maybe they are looking here for Peanut's eventual replacement. At 6'2" and 215 pounds, this guy has size (Peanut is 6'2" but about 15 pounds lighter), but some question this guy's speed for playing CB at the NFL level. He could end up a safety at the NFL level.

[​IMG]

2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,661 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,840ß
    Bears are going to take at least 3-4 DB's in this draft, minmal. If the Bears do decide to go w/a Sea style D, they need big Corners, and honestly you need a guy like this to handle a guy like Calvin.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +177 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Nobody handles Calvin (except Peanut).:D
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member

Ratings:
    +4,722 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,086ß
    I dunno, 6'2 is pretty big for a safety.
  5. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    66ß
    I don't think there's any lock in that statement, but we'd be wise to grab at least one top-ish S and CB and take a flier on one later. Jean Baptiste is my third favorite S prospect, but it's not like he would be the first guy to stay put at CB and succeed at his size.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,057 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,783ß
    Peanut was a steal in the draft. Second round from the University of Louisiana - Lafayette. We've gotten 11 good seasons out of him too.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. latorreedgar

latorreedgar Rookie

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    nfldraftscout.com has him listed at 6'3 215 with 4.46 speed played some WR and FS
    projected to go in the 3rd round. Great at the line of scrimmage and a great guy to utilize in press-man technique defense.
    • Like Like x 2
  8. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,286 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    240ß
    I'd take a CB who has a penchant for forcing fumbles and then being mentored by Peanut.
  9. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +1,000 / 1 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,151ß
    Thanks for bringing that up, JABF.

I read and talked about this guy during lunch break. I'm not kidding.

At 6'2'' (6' 3'' according to NFL.com and CBS Sports) this is a guy you want to have on your defense when playing against top receivers and tight ends. A 5'10'' CB won't cut it anymore.

Gotta admit I like this kid so far.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2042647/stanley-jean-baptiste

Overview

Jean-Baptiste spent one year as a wide receiver at North Carolina Tech Prep after finishing his high school career in Miami and then redshirted the 2009 season at Fort Scott Community College before finally arriving at Nebraska.
    He did not see any action in 2010, and had one reception the following season before making the transition to cornerback before the start of Big Ten play. Jean-Baptiste played in nine games, including his first career start, in 2011.

Finally established at cornerback, Jean-Baptiste started five of 14 games he saw action in as a junior. The Cornhuskers led the nation in opponent completion percentage, and Jean-Baptiste led the team with nine pass breakups.

He was voted to the second-team All-Big Ten squad by the league's coaches in 3013. Jean-Baptiste played in all 12 games, again leading the team with 11 pass breakups. He also tied for the team lead with four interceptions, which he returned for a combined 134 yards.

Analysis
    STRENGTHS: Boasts excellent height and length for the position. Gets a strong initial jam to re-route receivers when playing press-man coverage. Often asked to play off-man principles, as well, showing the patience to allow receivers to get near him before beginning his turning motion. By doing so, Jean-Baptiste is able to sneak a peek toward the quarterback and break quickly on short and intermediate routes.
    Uses his long arms and strong hands to bat away passes as they arrive, demonstrating good hand-eye coordination and leaping ability. Uses his long arms very effectively to rip free from blockers. Surprisingly fluid hips for a cornerback of his size. Capable of changing directions well to maintain close proximity to the receiver. Good ball skills, including the ability to extend and pluck outside of his frame.

WEAKNESSES: Not nearly as physical as his size would indicate, especially when tackling. Frequently relies on ducking his head and swiping at the legs of ballcarriers. Could be viewed by some as a potential safety convert but hasn't played this position before and will need to develop more physicality and reliability as an open-field tackler.

While fluid in changing directions, is susceptible to double-moves because he doesn't possess ideal initial burst and possesses just fair straight-line speed, overall.

COMPARES TO: Brandon Browner, Seattle Seahawks - Like Browner, Jean-Baptiste combines size, ball skills and surprising fluidity to intrigue as a super-sized cornerback. Browner only re-emerged as an NFL player in recent years, however, after languishing in the CFL in part due to a lack of straight-line speed inconsistent effectiveness as an open-field tackler. Should the light turn on for Jean-Baptiste, he could stick in the NFL. Without greater reliability as a tackler, however, his time in the league could be short.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +177 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Like the size, obviously. Watching the highlights, he appears very fluid, and stays on top of his assignment very well. In some shots he looked very physical, and in others he appeared to do a bit of the "toro" tackling we all abhor. Built strong, so hopefully injuries wouldn't be too much of a concern. Previous WR, and it is obvious in the way he plays the ball. Could be a good pickup, but I'm not sure in the first three rounds.
  11. GermansbombedPH

GermansbombedPH Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +53 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    34ß
    that's a guy we could pick in the 3rd if still available. He'd get 1 year to learn and adjust with Jennings and possible Bowman as our starters.

Going by Interviews like that I think we are going to go Pass Rush with the 1st.
  12. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,661 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,840ß
    nothings a lock until FA resolves it, but as of right now it's a solid a statement as anything.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,661 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,840ß
    thanks for the breakdown LilB! I like the kid too, and again shows the depth of this draft, to possibly get a kid like that in the 3rd would be great value.
  14. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,236 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    612ß
    One scouting report I read said that he might struggle in a zone scheme. I watched him pretty closely in his bowl game (against Georgia) and thought he was good enough to take note. Not knowing any more or seeing other film I decided I'd just remember the name and see what happened throughout the combine/pro day process.
    • Like Like x 1