Big receivers a big deal for Cutler

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by The Newsman, Jul 28, 2014.

1. The Newsman

The Newsman Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,358ß
    ChicagoBears.com News:

Throwing to tall teammates such as 6-6 Martellus Bennett, 6-5 Brandon Marshall, 6-4 Marquess Wilson and 6-3 Alshon Jeffery makes life easier for Jay Cutler.

Continue reading...
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Big receivers a big deal for Cutler

Posted 11 hours ago
    By Larry Mayer
    Throwing to tall teammates such as 6-6 Martellus Bennett, 6-5 Brandon Marshall, 6-4 Marquess Wilson and 6-3 Alshon Jeffery makes life easier for Jay Cutler.

In Jay Cutler[​IMG]’s first season with the Bears in 2009, 6-foot-2 Devin Aromashodu was his tallest receiver. When Aromashodu rejoined the team briefly last summer, he was among the shortest.

Early in training camp, Cutler has enjoyed throwing to a group of receivers that includes 6-5 Brandon Marshall[​IMG], 6-5 Terrence Toliver[​IMG], 6-4 Marquess Wilson[​IMG] and 6-3 Alshon Jeffery[​IMG]. Throw in 6-6 tight end Martellus Bennett[​IMG] and the Bears could field their own basketball team.

[​IMG]
    Jay Cutler prepares to take a snap from center Roberto Garza[​IMG] during practice.
    “It makes it easy,” Cutler said Monday. “You kind of just hang balls up there for those guys and they make the play. They all do a really good job of finding the ball in the air and knowing when the back-shoulder [throw] is coming. We’ve just got to keep everyone healthy.”

Bennett, who played football and basketball at Texas A&M, starred in a red zone drill Monday, reaching up to haul in a pair of touchdown passes from Cutler on seam routes.

“In certain situations he’s really hard to cover,” Cutler said. “He’s such a big guy that even some of the intermediate stuff over the middle, he’s able to get separation. He played basketball, so he knows how to high-point the ball down in the red zone. We’ve just got to keep throwing different stuff at him and incorporating him in different ways.”

Bennett has been working on his run-after-catch skills and knocked safety Danny McCray[​IMG] to the ground with a stiff arm Monday after catching a short pass over the middle.

Marshall and Jeffery have picked up in training camp where they left off last season, using their size advantage to pluck passes out of the air despite tight coverage. Jeffery was sidelined with a sore foot Monday, which gave Wilson more opportunities with the first-team offense.

The 2013 seventh-round draft pick from Washington State has had an impressive camp and is a leading candidate to be the Bears’ No. 3 receiver this season.

“He’s doing a great job,” Cutler said. “We’re asking him to do a lot. With some guys going down periodically, he’s got to know a lot of positions. He’s got to go with the ones, he’s got to go with the twos, so I think he’s done a really good job of getting in shape.

“He knows the plays, he knows where to line up. It’s just working against press, going against T.J. (Tim Jennings[​IMG]) and Peanut (Charles Tillman[​IMG]) and even the young kid, Kyle Fuller[​IMG], is doing a great job against him. So just getting the reps and getting the experience is where he’s got to improve.”
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    View Gallery | 31 Photos
    Practice photos - Day 4

With Cutler operating the same offense for the second straight year, his familiarity with the system is evident on the practice field. The continuity has provided a major boost after the quarterback worked with four different offensive coordinators in his first five seasons with the Bears.

“It’s obvious in practice that Jay is taking more and more control by the day,” said offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer. “Not that he didn’t before—he did—but with his comfort level with all of the things we’re trying to get done, he’s able to solve some of his own problems on the field, even when he didn’t maybe have that answer taught to him yet.

“He’s doing an excellent job, as well as the other quarterbacks. But it’s really helped that Jay has studied really hard all offseason. He’s worked on his technique. He’s been one of the hardest working guys on the team this offseason.”

One major difference in this year’s training camp is that Cutler is getting extra snaps—working with the second team as well as the starting unit.

“There are a couple of benefits,” Kromer said. “One is that he’s getting more reps, and that’s important to us that he takes the most reps because he’ll be running the offense. No. 2, it gets him with other players that could be on the field with him this year and it gets him a feel for how those guys run routes, protect, and those sort of things.”​
  3. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    What's sad about all this is that when he first joined the team he talked about his like for bigger targets but Martz claimed tall WR were overrated and of course JA did zero to respond to that desire on Cutler's part except to draft Greg Olsen.

Olsen and Cutler establish some rapport and have some success but this is a threat to Martz who only wants OT size TEs and fast midgets at WR so JA trades Olsen even before ascertaining that Martz would even be around in another year. What a fucking doofus.

I don't want to appear too over confident but how do teams stop a passing game with these four "aircraft carriers" plus a 6'2" 220lb RB who can catch as well as any of them? That's five targets 6'2" and taller all on the field at the same on some plays and the average DB is 5'11" to 6'1". We should continue to see a lot of this. :keepaway: and this :18 1 106[1]: just putting it up where only the receiver can get to it.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +175 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    93ß
    It really is pretty impressive when you look at that stable of receivers. Not only the size, but the crazy athleticism as well. So glad to hear Wilson is excelling so far in camp. He is a very smooth athlete, and the addition of 15lbs of muscle should make a big difference. Cutler seems confident in him, and so we should see the ball simply going to the open spot this season. I haven't been this excited about a season in 15 years. I'm just waiting for something bad to happen....
    :10 1 112[1]:
  5. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +710 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    423ß
    If you don't think size matter ask Lovie after sitting out a year. "Oh, that's what a real O looks like I think I'll copy that in Tampa."

That said I would like to see them keep the small speed demon of Williams that would just add another variable that would keep safety's honest and wear them out at the same time. I believe he makes it because of that versatility he gives Trest with the big tree receivers (no pun intended for the Southsiders reading this) and small speedster.
  6. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +836 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    894ß
    Not looking up the data or nothing but it seems to go in cycles. Teams go big with WR and eventually teams all have big DB's. About the time everyone has big and tall DB's teams like the Rams and Martz come along with a bunch of speedsters that the big guys can not keep up with so everyone starts going small again. It seems I have seen this cycle a couple times now.

I like the idea of Keeping a speedster with the big guys, it should make for some mismatches with some presnap movement.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    Yes size matters. I even asked a girl I dated that question and she said absolutely! Then she gave me $20 for cab fare and asked me to lock the door on my way out. :sad44:

Changed her phone number to unlisted the very next day too. :alright:
    • Funny Funny x 1