Biggest Steal in NFC North Draft

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by jackiejokeman, May 15, 2014.

1. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +160 / 1 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    75ß
    BIGGEST STEAL: Ka'Deem Carey, RB, Arizona
    Chicago Bears, Round 4, No. 117 overall

It's crazy to think that a runner who eclipsed 3,800 rushing yards over the past two seasons -- thanks to 22 100-yard games -- would be knocked down draft boards due to a pedestrian time in the 40-yard dash (4.70 seconds), but that was the case with Carey. Regardless, the film suggests that the Arizona standout is a punishing runner with the vision, quickness and physicality to thrive as a feature back in the NFL. Additionally, Carey is an underrated pass catcher out of the backfield who can run every route in the book. Given coach Marc Trestman's reputation for designing effective schemes around impact playmakers, Carey could shock observers with his production as a situational back spelling Matt Forte.
    Team grades

Note: Click on team names to see complete draft classes.

CHICAGO BEARS: The Bears' defense lost its bite in 2013 -- ranking 30th in total D -- but the future looks much brighter with general manager Phil Emery restocking the lineup with a number of intriguing defenders. Kyle Fuller, the No. 14 overall pick, gives Chicago a versatile cover corner with the potential to play inside or outside in nickel situations. Day 2 selections Ego Ferguson and Will Sutton are imposing defensive tackles with the size, strength and athleticism to excel in the Bears' 4-3. Sutton in particular is a dynamic 3-technique with terrific initial quickness (when he has his weight under control). On offense, the addition of Carey will further allow Chicago to employ a ball-control strategy when needed.
    GRADE: B
    DETROIT LIONS:
    There's no doubt that Caldwell inherited a talented roster in Detroit, but the team needs a handful of crucial pieces to really push it over the top. While most expected GM Martin Mayhew to spend a top pick on a cover corner, he instead added a Pro Bowl-caliber tight end (Ebron) and a versatile linebacker (Kyle Van Noy), upgrading the athleticism on both sides of the ball. Travis Swanson will serve as an apprentice for a year before taking over the pivot from Dominic Raiola. Cornerback Nevin Lawson and defensive tackle Caraun Reid, both selected on Day 3, are developmental prospects with intriguing potential. Most importantly, they add depth to positions of need. GRADE: B-
    GREEN BAY PACKERS:
    GM Ted Thompson strictly adheres to the premise of taking the best player available. He has executed this masterfully throughout his tenure in Green Bay, which is why the Packers have consistently contended in the NFC. And last week, for good measure, he just happened to address the team's biggest areas of need. Entering the draft, Green Bay appeared to be lacking some oomph at safety and linebacker, with an additional depth concern in the receiving corps. Well, safety Ha Ha Clinton-Dix and outside linebacker Carl Bradford will upgrade the defense with their collective speed and athleticism, while the additions of Davante Adams, Jared Abbrederis and Jeff Janis give the Packers a young set of pass catchers to develop. Adams is a big-bodied playmaker with a game that is eerily similar to that of free-agent departee James Jones. Meanwhile, Abbrederis and Janis are the kind of developmental prospects who routinely become key contributors in coach Mike McCarthy's offense GRADE: B+
    MINNESOTA VIKINGS:
    It's always challenging getting a new head coach on the same page with an established general manager, but based on Minnesota's draft success, it appears that the marriage between Mike Zimmer and Rick Spielman is off to a fine start. The Vikings walked away with a talent-rich haul, securing a number of blue-chip prospects at bargain rates. No. 9 overall pick Anthony Barr is a disruptive force with the athleticism and length to become a Pro Bowl-caliber pass rusher early in his career. Despite limited experience on the defensive side of the ball, the former UCLA running back has all of the traits defensive coordinators covet in edge players. Bridgewater slid down the charts due to concerns about his arm strength and size, but his college tape is spectacular and his game ideally suits Turner's system. If he plays to his potential, Bridgewater could make this draft class a special one for the Vikes' faithful. Add in a number of value picks in defensive end Scott Crichton, cornerback Antone Exum and offensive guard David Yankey, and it's clear Minnesota is poised to bounce back in a major way in 2014. GRADE: B+
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,382 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    507ß
    Sutton, Carey and Vereen were all good mid round picks. Hopefully those guys will be core players for a long time.
  3. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Hall of Famer

Ratings:
    +993 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    The division seems to have had a good draft. This person actually ranked the Bears as worst of the four in how the draft went but still giving us a B. Not sure I agree, but I've said before that we seemed to have drafted more on potential than anything else. That is a two edged sword. If things work out we will have had a stellar draft. If not, I would actually rate a B as too high. Time will tell.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    a lot of teams had a good draft, I think that speaks to the quality and depth of this draft.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    Can someone explain to me the hype with Anthony Barr? Any why Minnesota gets a B+ for taking him at 9!!!???!!! I just don't see it with this guy I gotta be honest.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    I liked the pick, they needed someone to play the OLB/DE role that was vacated by Allen and I think Barr can add a few lb's and fill that role
  7. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    I don't know man...he's Shea McLellin if you ask me.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    Barr is almost 2 inches taller then Shea and is the same weight, which means he actually has the frame to add bulk, he also had better combine results in all but the Broadjump.

He's definately raw, but unlike what they said about Shea, that he was a 3-4 OLB, everything I read on Barr is that he's a pure pass rusher. They might well end up the same, I don't think either are strong enough to handle the OT's in the NFL, but the scouting reports don't read the same at all.
  9. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    No, Shea ran a faster 40, and did more reps on the bench. The dude played at 245 and he just started playing defense in 2012. I don't understand how a guy like that, who had trouble reading and reacting, pre-determined his pass rush moves, had no secondary move, and couldn't get off a block is a top 10 pick.
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/profiles/anthony-barr?id=2543459

faster 40 by .03 sec's, essencially the same. but the 3 cone and shuttle Barr ran .2+ sec's faster, vert was 3in's better, ans shuttle was .2 faster also. and the 40 time isn't going to matter on a football field anyways. really other then the height these guys are the same combine wise; but the height allows for more weight to be added to the frame and allows for a real shot to convert to DE, which Shea never stood a shot at becoming.
  11. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +414 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    I'm with ya on Barr, I don't see it. Maybe as a Jack OLB but this guy is Shea taken 10 picks higher if they try to move him to DE. Glad Minny fell for it this time and not me.
  12. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    If you ask me every single draft pick is drafted on potential. Look at Aaron Curry, the LB from Wake Forest (if I remember right). He was considered far and wide to be the safest pick in all of the draft. He's no longer on his original team and is hoping to be average at best. There are no sure things in the NFL Draft. People look at Luck and say he's a sure thing but who knows, if someone else drafted him and a certain series of unfortunate events happened, ranging from talent surrounding him to coaching, you don't know what Luck could/would have been. Right now we don't know what any of these players will be. There's player who never amount to anything from the 1st pick to UDFA's and there's Hall of Famers who've been drafted in every round and even some UDFA's.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,812 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    70ß
    There are a lot of question marks with this guy as a top-10 pick. He had an off Combine, but If I understand it correctly, he ran a 4.41 at his pro day at 255 pounds. Here's a good article on why the Vikings drafted his so high. I'm not saying I agree with their logic, but it's giving a reason why they thought he was worth the pick LINK.

I will always wonder what would have happened if we had played Shea as a LB his first year instead of trying to make him a DL guy. It may have been a much better fit from day-1. At least the Vikings are planning on playing Barr as a LB instead of "fattening him up" and trying to play him out of position. He may be solid at LB, and hopefully Shea will be solid this year at LB.
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    Shea well could have been a good late 1st round pick if he had went to a 3-4 team.

I'd point out that Barr is going to a Vikings team that ran a 3-4 last year(according to the NFL.com depth chart for them), so he already has a leg up on Shea.
  15. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    Well, I would add that Shea ran that time 5 pounds heavier, but it's semantics. Also, just because one is taller does not mean they can add weight easier. I don't know...I'm just glad the Vikings picked him.
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    I don't think Aaron Curry is even in the NFL anymore. That was one of the worst picks ever! HE never should have been the first linebacker taken in that draft.
  17. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    The Vikings ran a 3-4 last year?
  18. butkus3595

butkus3595 Veteran

Ratings:
    +384 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    12ß
    I just checked...according to that site the Bears are running a 3-4 too. I think thats just the default.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,435 / 6 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    194ß
    wierd, okay, the reason I ran w/that is there were a lot of talk by even the players that a switch might be coming. I knew they were always a 4-3 prior, but between the articles about a switch to 3-4 and the nfl.com I assumed they did.
  20. Chicago_66

Chicago_66 Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    13ß
    And yet he was talked about far and wide as the safe pick. Hindsight is 20/20 but leading up to the draft he was supposed to be a sure thing.