Biggs: 10 thoughts on unbeaten Bears

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Sep 16, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,715 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,243ß
    I always like reading these.

• Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,332 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    10 e. The Bears play in the national NBC game Sunday at Pittsburgh. It is their 16th appearance since NBC took over the time slot beginning in 2006. The Bears are 6-9 in on NBC in those games (3-5 on the road) but have lost seven of the last eight, including the 13-6 setback against the Texans last November at Soldier Field.

lets see that stat reversed this Sunday.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    Good post, JustAnotherBearsFan. Biggs gets it. I am curious to hear what Tucker has to say to the media on Wednesday as well. Our 3rd down defense/lack of pass rush will spell DOOM against Rodgers and the Pack, Brees and the Saints, etc. Something had better change/improve on that side of the ball. Biggs summed it up nicely with his second observation:

2. It will be interesting to listen to defensive coordinator Mel Tucker when he talks Wednesday. The Bears have a pair of issues on that side of the ball and they’re related, to a degree.

The pass rush was hard to find once again. Corey Wootton sacked Christian Ponder on the second series but that was it and in press box statistics no other quarterback hits were recorded. There probably should have been one awarded to linebacker Lance Briggs in the first quarter when he hit Ponder on a blitz that also included cornerback Charles Tillman. Ponder had 30 pass attempts and there were six runs that came on dropbacks. Bottom line: There was no consistent pressure on Ponder.

The defense continued to struggle getting off the field on third down. The Vikings were 7-for-16 (44 percent) after making just 2 of 10 the week before at Detroit. Opponents are now 14-for-27 vs. the Bears on third down. Sure, it is a small sample size but that is a concerning figure for a defense that was sixth in the NFL a year ago at 35.45 percent.

Like Cincinnati a week ago, the Vikings also hit the Bears for some big chunks on third down. Ponder had an 18-yard pass to Greg Jennings on third-and-13. He hit Jerome Simpson for a 37-yard gain on third-and-seven and Jennings made a 22-yard gain on third-and-three.

A better pass rush is going to make the defense better on third down, no question. But that has been a problem down through two games and when the Bears run into a better offense, say when they see the division foe Packers, they’re going to have to be much better.

Defensive end Julius Peppers had another quiet game and the same can be said for tackle Henry Melton. There will be increasing noise about their lack of production.
  4. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    Pitt is really struggling. Their offensive line is in shambles, their fans want to fire Haley due to their offense's lack of production/predictability, etc. With all of that having been said, God help us if the DL goes MIA again on Sunday night.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +162 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    Zif's take on da gam

Good gameplan by Trestman, he did use Forte so great and Bennett aswell. I agree with the call of throwing the ball in the redzone (the one just before half time). afaik we didn't have any timeouts left and a run could kill off the clock.
    Really nice play calls overall and the bootleg(I think it's called) with Jeffery was just a masterpiece and totally unexpected. This hopefully show us what to expect.

Jeffery disapointed me a bit. Weather this was because of him not getting open or Trestman simply didn't want to use him that much I don't know but I had seen Jeffery gotten more catches. He did made a nice catch on the last drive so he sure does know how to catch it.

Forte was worth all the money. And this is why you pay a RB that much even tho it's not Adrian Peterson. Forte is so great at catching the ball, better than our previous TE and perhaps even Earl Bennett? Add in that he can block and you have yourself one of the best all round RB's in the league. Forte will probably get more attention in the furture but that should open up for space for our actually receivers.

Cutler was having a good day. I remember sitting with a big smile on my face nonstop doing 1st quarter and half of 2th. The offense moved the ball nicely and there was some nice pass protection. Cutler moved nice out of the pocket and made some good runs. This ofcause did result in the fumble for a TD but that's what Allen does to you.
    Cutler's first INT was not really his fault, it would probably have been a TD if one of the Vikings DL players got a hand on it. Bad luck.
    Cutler did a nice drive at the end of first half and then again at the end of the game. Really great hurry up offense and well executed by Cutler.

I felt like the defensive line did put up more pressure on Ponder but it wasn't enough. If only we knew Wotton would step up his game this much we probably wouldn't have drafted Shea who still doesn't perform well enough. Dline did however do a great stop at stopping the run game and Anderson apears to be a really great replacement for Roach.
    Once again defense scored on a turnover and by the looks of it there will be just as many take aways this season as last season.

Is this the return of the old Hester? I think we all hope so. This certainly proved that he still got it in him, and will be a danger to the opposing team if they aren't carefull. Let's hope he can break the record this season and give the offense nice field position. Would be great if the "Don't kick it to Hester" statements/comments came back.

This is what I remember thinking doing the game, I better write them down because I swear I had more when I watched it!
    • Like Like x 2
  6. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,332 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    Here are Mark Potash's 10 thoughts:
    http://www.suntimes.com/sports/foot...0-observations-of-bears-win-over-vikings.html
    10 observations of Bears’ win over Vikings
    BY MARK POTASH September 16, 2013 12:46PM
    Updated: September 16, 2013 2:27PM

Not even a pass that hit the umpire in the head was going to bother Jay Cutler on Sunday.
    Cutler is still Cutler, for better or worse — it’s still only Week 2 of the Marc Trestman era. But one ‘‘Trestman Effect’’ already is obvious — Cutler’s ability to overcome adversity is better than ever.
    For the second consecutive week, Cutler threw a fourth-quarter interception in a close game and recovered to win the game with a touchdown pass.
    After Harrison Smith’s interception on the first play of the final quarter, Cutler was 8-of-10 for 83 yards and the 16-yard touchdown pass to tight end Martellus Bennett with 10 seconds left, for a 134.6 rating. And that includes the incompletion on the ball that hit the umpire.
    In back-to-back weeks, Cutler is 14-of-17 for 147 yards and three touchdowns after throwing a fourth-quarter interception, a 142.3 passer rating.
    The degree-of-difficulty was even greater in Sunday’s 31-30 victory over the Vikings at Soldier Field. Not only did Cutler throw an interception on the first play of the fourth quarter, but the Bears also possession when Vikings defensive tackle Letroy Guion ripped the ball from Matt Forte for a turnover with 6:28 to play.
    And the game-winning drive in the final 3:08 of the game had its hurdles for Cutler to overcome. On the first play of the drive, Cutler’s pass over the middle for Alshon Jeffery deflected off umpire Rich Hall’s head and shoulder for an incompletion. Cutler threw his arms up in dismay, but didn’t flinch. He threw completions to Forte for six yards and Brandon Marshall for 10 (though it was a rare Cutler throw to Marshall that was off the mark — Marshall leaped to make the catch) for a first down at the Vikings 48.
    A first-down swing pass to Matt Forte lost two yards and put the Bears in a second-and-12 situation. But Cutler responded with completions to Jeffery for 11 yards and Marshall for 10 to get a first down.
    A holding penalty on Jermon Bushrod put the Bears in a first-and-20 hole at the Vikings 39 with 43 seconds left, but Cutler again came through — completing a short pass to Martellus Bennett in the flat for a 23-yard gain. That Bennett did not go out of bounds to stop the clock looked like a bad decision. But Cutler spiked the ball to stop the clock and threw the game-winning pass to Bennett two plays later for the victory.
    It’s arguable that Cutler having a tight end he trusts is the biggest difference for him so far this season. But with two fourth-quarter comebacks in a row, it’s just as evident that Cutler also is in a better state of mind. Overcoming adversity always has been Cutler’s biggest challenge in the NFL. Under Trestman, he already seems better equipped to handle that than ever.
    And now, 10 observations from the Bears’ victory over the Vikings on Sunday.
    1. Cutler completed 28-of-39 passes for 290 yards, three touchdowns and two interceptions for a 97.2 rating. That’s his highest passer rating with two interceptions in five seasons with the Bears. His average rating with two picks coming into the game was 60.3, with a high of 87.4 in a 27-13 victory over the Vikings in 2010 at Soldier Field.
    2. The Bears, who were 26th in the NFL last year with 25 false starts, have not had a false start in their first two games. In fact, the Bears are the only team in the NFL that has yet to have an offensive drive stall because of a penalty in their first two games. They were 1-for-1 on Sunday — overcoming a first-and-20 on the game-winning drive after Bushrod’s holding penalty when Cutler threw the 23-yard pass to Martellus Bennett on the next play.
    3. The Bears are one of eight 2-0 teams in the NFL, with the lowest point-differential (plus-4) after beating the Bengals by three and the Vikings by one. They’re in good company though. The Patriots have the next lowest point-differential with plus-5.
    The Broncos (plus-40) and Seahawks (plus-31) have the highest point-differential of the 2-0 teams.
    4. Believe it or not, this is just the fourth time the Bears have opened 2-0 since the Ditka era (when the Bears started 2-0 for eight consecutive seasons, 1984-91). They were 2-0 in 2002 (and finished 4-12); 2006 (13-3 and reached the Super Bowl) and 2010 (11-5 and lost in the NFC Championship Game).
    5. It’s difficult to draw conclusions after two weeks, so take it for what it’s worth that the Bears remaining opponents are a combined 10-17 so far this season. Only the Saints (Oct. 6 at Soldier Field) are unbeaten. The Giants (Oct. 10 at Soldier Field), Redskins (Oct. 20 in Washington), Vikings (Dec. 1 in Minneapolis) and Browns (Dec. 15 at Cleveland) are 0-2.
    6. Julius Peppers remains an issue after the eight-time Pro Bowl defensive end had another quiet game Sunday. Peppers had one tackle and no impact plays (sacks, tackles-for-loss, quarterback pressures, pass breakups, etc.) against the Vikings. According to ProFootballFocus.com, Peppers pass-rush rating was a minus-2.1. It was minus-2.0 last week. Peppers had negative pass-rush ratings only six times in the previous three seasons with the Bears, according to PFF.
    7. Left tackle Jermon Bushrod struggled against Vikings’ defensive end Jared Allen. Bushrod allowed the only sack of Cutler — by Allen, of course — which resulted in a fumble and 61-yard touchdown return by defensive end Brian Robison in the second quarter. Bushrod also was called for holding Allen twice, though only one was accepted. Bushrod’s rating (minus-2.9) was the lowest among Bears offensive players, according to ProFootballFocus.com.
    8. A week after the Bears scored on their first try from the 1-yard line, Cutler threw an interception on first-and-goal from the 1 against the Vikings that seemed to break a cardinal rule. Cutler threw a dart over the middle for tight end Steve Maneri that was batted at the line of scrimmage and intercepted by Kevin Williams in the end zone for a touchback.
    ‘‘Throwing across the middle of a goal-line defense on any flat-line throw is problematic at least,’’ said Fox analyst Brian Billick, a former NFL offensive coordinator. ‘‘Bad things happen when you do that.’’
    9. Even at 2-0, the Bears have a lot of cleaning up to do. They had a 16-men-on-the-field penalty on the field on a punt that kept a Vikings drive alive. They had another too-many-men-on-the-field penalty late in the second quarter — a five-yard penalty that arguably cost Devin Hester a kickoff return when Blair Walsh, kicking from his 40 instead of his 35, booted the ball out of the end zone for a touchback. And a defensive time out late in the second quarter proved costly when they had no time outs at the Vikings 2-yard line in the final minute of the first half and could not risk a running play or rollout that might allow the clock to run out.
    10. The most noticeable difference in Mel Tucker’s defense is the impact of the Bears’ blitzes, almost halways hit-and-miss under Lovie Smith. From the first defensive play from scrimmage — when Lance Briggs stopped Adrian Peterson for a three-yard loss — the Bears had success by blitzing. Briggs blitzed six times and almost every one of them resulted in a positive play.
    Tim Jennings’ interception and 44-yard return for a touchdown came on a play in which linebackers James Anderson and D.J. Williams both blitzed. Even when the Bears showed blitz it had an impact. When safety Chris Conte aggressively approached the left side of the Vikings’ offensive line on a third-and-10 in the second quarter, left tackle Matt Kalil false started, leading to a Vikings punt.
    Email: mpotash@suntimes.com
    Twitter: @MarkPotash
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,715 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,243ß
    I found this just now. Maybe it's interesting, and maybe not. Of the 4 top rated QB performances this week, 3 of them focused on short to medium passes. I included Jay's ratings in here too.

8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,715 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,243ß
    This is a significant difference that I see in Jay's play, over his past seasons under Lovie Smith. In the past, when Jay started tossing ints, you just knew it was "Bad Jay" that day. The plane was going down (not always, but often it was the case). But now, Jay seems to keep his composure better. Cutler will always have some games with multiple ints. Even Rodgers has bad days. But the difference is that the better QB's tend to keep their composure (like Jay did yesterday) and not do a Rex Grossman meltdown.

I can see a difference & I believe Trestman has helped Jay in this area. It's a maturity that wasn't there before.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe Veteran

Ratings:
    +343 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    438ß
    The concern over the d-line's lack of a pass rush is valid . So .... when it comes to playing the better offensive teams , the Bears are going to have to gamble sometimes and do some blitzing . It's high risk high reward for sure , but we can't just let Rodgers & Brees etc just settle into a comfortable rhythm back there cuz they'll pick us apart . Either it's that , or it's play nickel 90% of the game which will make the throwing lanes tighter . They're gonna hafta do something . But I also think our O is going to be better this season so we create problems for them also .

Maybe these games will just inevitably turn into shootouts anyways . But I like our chances better than I used to . And shootouts are fun to watch anyways so - let er rip .
  10. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,332 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    I didn't see this mentioned, but according to Tresty in his interview today, Peppers was sick w/the Flu yesterday.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,715 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,243ß
    He was so sick last week that they sent him home and he missed practice on Thursday. I hope all this is, is him having the flu. And I hope nobody else catches it.
  12. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +918 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    926ß
  13. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,376 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    400ß
    No pass rush ---> lots of 3rd down conversions
  14. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,332 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    it's not just melton and Peppers though, so far the only DL I have heard graded well in each of the past two games has been Paea. There was actually one breakdown of the game I heard(talking about the DL) where the guy said you could see Peppers look at Shea and say something, then bull rushed his guy into Shea's guy knocking both back, and Shea circled around Peppers for a clean look at Ponder who threw the ball away but didn't get hit let alone sacked. On a play like that Shea's "high motor" should have carried him to a sack, instead it's another qb hurrie.
  15. Nakoma1

Nakoma1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +183 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:

I t was also discussed by McNeill and Hub yesterday as well that there is a possibility that he's not 100 % yet from his TC injury Hub also stated that Alex Brown seems to think "he 's not right either "

IF THIS is true then why is he even in there ??
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,332 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,506ß
    Nak, he's in there b/c a 75% Peppers is still better then a 100% anyone else.

Someone broke down a play where Pep and Shea were on the same side, and he gave Shea a look, then when the ball was snapped he bull dozed his guy and Shea's guy out of the way and it let Shea get a clean run at Ponder, who threw the ball away. Shea HAS to get a sack when he has a clear path b/c Pepp clears out 2 OL'men.