Biggs: "It's hard to find rosy scenarios for Bears"

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Oct 26, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,077 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,817ß
    The poor Angelo drafts broke our back. It's going to take awhile to recover from Jerry's poor drafts.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
    • Like Like x 4
  2. DaTreeBears

DaTreeBears Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +717 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    431ß
    Very good piece by Brad A+. Essentially Bears need a lot of luck to get anywhere this season and next year is a rebuild for the D. Not real rocket science stuff just the hard cold facts ma'am.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    SPOT ON. I have faith in Emery, but GOD HELP US if he fails to locate a bevy of defensive playmakers in the next 2 drafts.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +177 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Just like BMG says, it is going to take the next two years in order to rebuild the D, and that is assuming Emery and Co. hit on a majority of their draft picks. Fortunately it seems we have quite a few good young playmakers on the O, so focus can be on the D going forward. I think the biggest question is what happens with Cutler, as that will make a big determination at the top of the draft.
  5. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,688 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    10 players from 06-11....that's less then 2 guys a year...and that doesn't mean they are all starting/significantly contributing in a good way....that's beyond pathetic, and of those Forte and Earl Bennett might well be the most prolific(Offense), so now you have 8, possible, D players in that time frame that's just pathetic.

But this is why I keep saying that it's hard to put ALL this on Tucker, ya he's part of it, but it's impossible to know how much b/c the D is just to lacking in talent, to old, to injured and there is no "next man up" b/c there is no depth b/c of failed draft after failed draft mostly b/c of Angelo, but Emery's first pick is failing also(misused or not he's still not contributing in a positive way).

The D needs a complete overhaul, it needed it last year, and Emery started it, but his patchwork failed b/c of inj and age. He'll have to complete it next off-season and we as fans have to hope he does a better job of it. But at this point, going 3-4, 4-3 is the least of the teams concerns, they just need to get one and go with it b/c chances are 1 year won't be enough to fix this issue anyways. And this is w/out talking about the lack of depth that is still a general issue everywhere.
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,077 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,817ß
    I think most of us (me included) underestimated how badly the team had atrophied during the Angelo/Lovie years. We were pointing to the "10 win season" and saying stupid stuff, like we should at least have 10 wins this first year of the rebuilding effort. Yet it was a "house of cards" talent wise. And those ten wins came against some really weak teams. The good teams embarrassed us.

If you can't evaluate player talent in the NFL, you're screwed. Period. And Jerry/Lovie had too many misses & brought in a lot of mediocre talent too. And one last rant. How on earth could we draft a small army of safeties, and still have safety problems? It was "beyond inept" to miss on that many players, just at that one position. I'll be honest. It makes me angry.
    • Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +216 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    37ß
    And to think that drafting "D" was a supposed strength of Lovie & J.A.
    EPIC FAIL !
    Emery & Trestman certainly have their work cut out for them.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +251 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    209ß
    We need Emery to do for the defense what he did on offense this last draft season. He can't ignore the offense because we still need a center. Garza could be Peppers next year even though he looks respectable right now.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,077 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,817ß
    Any of our old players could "hit the wall" and "pull a Peppers" next year. Peanut, Briggs, or any of our really old players. Briggs will be Pep's age next year (34). Peanut will be in his 12th season as a cornerback. It ain't rocket science to realize the old guys can drop off the cliff at any time. So, we not only have to upgrade a pretty crappy talent situation, but we also have old-age issues on top of that.

Do we still have all 7 of our draft picks for next year, or did we deal any of them away? And it seems like about 1/3 of our team are playing on 1-year contracts, and Cutler will probably eat up a ton of cap, and even if we cut Peppers, we still take a huge cap hit there. Armageddon :)
  10. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    ^ Great Post, With that being said I too under estimated how badly Lovie and Jerry drove us into the ground. We have no talent what so ever!

We dealt a 7th ronud pick for Rosario but we did get a 6th round pick back in the Carimi deal.
    • Useful Useful x 1
  11. tbear1

tbear1 Veteran

Ratings:
    +251 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    209ß
    I could only imagine how bad we would have been without Emery pulling in Trestman. Lovie and Co. would have been in over their head.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,489 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    520ß
    Complete overhaul on D, from the DC on down.

We are going to end the season with 6-7 wins sorry to say so we should end up with a low-mid teens draft pick. Unless there's a "can't pass up" talent available there (which I doubt), Emery needs to trade down if possible and load up on late-1st and 2nd round picks. He's going to have to hit in FA too. And he has to assemble a capable, dynamic coaching staff on defense too, starting with a new DC.

No more Shea's, Hardins, and Tucker's.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,077 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,817ß
    Who would be a solid candidate to replace Tucker?
  14. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +177 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    99ß
    Tucker is not the problem. Hoping we switch up to a hybrid 3-4 next year. 3-4 DL are usually cheaper draft-wise, and we may be able to salvage the talents that Shea possesses in this system. We could make big strides in one year, if we devoted nearly the entire draft to D.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,077 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,817ß
    But if we do this, then how many years to get the personnel to play it at a high-level? I just don't see how 1 draft, would allow us to do this. And there's no guarantee Shea can play any scheme or position worth a crap. I'm not arguing against it, but my initial feeling is that we'd have more than one year here. And Tucker could still be a crap coach anyway. I'm not convinced that he is not part of our problem.

On the other hand, it's probably going to be 2015 before we get the defense respectable anyway - no matter what scheme we're running and who is coaching. :-(
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,688 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,867ß
    It won't be one draft, it will be a draft and FA, still it will probably take 2.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,077 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,817ß
    That's exactly my thought Ric. I expect Emery to hit the problem through both the draft and FA. Kind of like he attacked the offensive line problem, but this is going to be a bigger project due to the fact it's more than just the DLine that needs help. It's probably a multi-year project.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. shark86x

shark86x Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +799 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    446ß
    Tucker is part of the problem. But he will get a pass due to the injuries and lack of talent. His players are continually out of position and not tackling well. That is on coaching. I hope Tucker can step up in the coaching department, but I fear he can't. I call his D the Tuckered-out Defense.

Agree wholeheartedly. We were all blind to how badly JA left us short of talent. The D was just good enough and lucky enough injury-wise that we couldn't see it. The lack of talent has reared it's ugly head due to injuries and age, and it will be a couple years to crawl out of this mess. Emery and T-man have a big job ahead of them.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,077 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,817ß
    +1 to the "Tuckered-out Defense"

I laughed at that Shark, Tucker's "The Tuckered-out Defense" is a classic. So true too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  20. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +295 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    33ß
    I think you could argue that we drafted enough Defense (mainy DE and Safeties) to choke a horse, but we are still hurting on defense.

We let a very good catching TE go because of Martz, and we failed terribly drafting O-line (not that they did that very often).

JA and Lovie set us up for failure, and I just hope that the front office provides Emery and Trestman the same amount of rope.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1