Biggsy's Mailbag 2/28/2014....................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 2, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,597ß
    Lot's of questions and lot's of opinions by Brad Biggs
    Brad Biggs' Bears mailbag

[​IMG]
    By Brad Biggs
    Fri Feb 28 2014 11:55 AM

Do you expect the decision on Julius Peppers to be finalized by the start of free agency and/or pending the signing of a replacement? -- @jtbbears from Twitter
    Two months removed from the end of the 2013 season there is little doubt in my mind the Bears have a plan in place for Peppers. There is no sense of urgency to publicly share that plan. I’ve written in this space previously I don’t believe the Bears can or will pay Peppers $14 million to play defensive end this season. But cutting him by itself does not make them a better team.
    The Bears are dangerously thin on the defensive line right now. I called one veteran personnel man to ask for his opinion on the situation. He pointed out the lack of depth and suggested the team might be hanging on to Peppers until it can add another big player to the line – maybe tackle Henry Melton or an outsider. They could be in such a bind right now on the line that they have to retain Peppers until he is replaced and there are no guarantees on the open market. There is no financial penalty for this. Peppers doesn’t have a roster bonus that is coming due.
    We’ll have to see how it plays out but the best guess I can give at this point is that Peppers is released at some point. When he was originally signed, a lot of people looked at it as a three-year contract with some fluff and big numbers on the back end of the deal. Peppers has played four seasons for the Bears and I don’t think the intention (from the club’s perspective) was for him to make it to Years 5 and 6 of the deal. Stay tuned.

With the new salary cap expected to now be at $133 million do you see the Bears making a splash with a good defensive free agent? Also with Phil Emery stating Julius Peppers is under contract do you think he will extend him one or two years to reduce the cap hit? -- @3ricHartel from Twitter
    It looks to me like the Bears could be in position to add one and possibly two strong free agent additions. Keep in mind the team has already spent a huge amount of money in re-signing quarterback Jay Cutler, cornerback Tim Jennings, left guard Matt Slauson and kicker Robbie Gould. That was the beginning of free agency for the Bears because free agency, by nature, always begins with money spent to keep your own players from venturing out into the marketplace. I don’t see any way the Bears extend Peppers’ deal to spread out the cap hit. They have restructured him twice and that is one reason why his cap number for this season is north of $18 million. A pay cut for Peppers is possible but I would lean more toward an outright release. We’ll see in time.

Defensive tackle seems to be a popular choice for the Bears first-round pick in the upcoming draft, but I think they could resign their own free agents (provided everything goes right) and be in good shape. I am more concerned about the defensive end position, where the Bears could be without their top three players from last season if they choose to cut Julius Peppers. Between expensive free agents and a draft class that hasn't been described as very deep, how do you think the Bears can get improved performance from their defensive ends in 2014? -- Pierre C.
    You thought they would be in good shape with those defensive tackles a year ago but the depth wasn’t what it needed to be and then injuries struck. Even if the Bears re-sign Henry Melton, Jeremiah Ratliff and even Nate Collins, they will need an infusion of young talent. I agree with you that the end position is even more pressing because the lack of depth there is a serious issue. Quite simply the Bears cannot go into the draft without having a starting defensive end. I believe this has to be the primary targeted position in free agency. Whether that means success or not, I don’t know.

The Bears met with agent Drew Rosenhaus at the scouting combine and that’s a natural course of business. The club met with probably dozens of agents throughout the week. Rosenhaus represents Greg Hardy and Michael Bennett, arguably the top two defensive ends. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – I don’t see any way Hardy gets out of Carolina and to free agency. The Seahawks are also reported to be making a strong push to re-sign Bennett. Rosenhaus currently has 104 active contracts in the NFL, so he could have been meeting with the Bears about any number of players. There are no hidden secrets when you study the Bears’ depth chart though. Their needs start at defensive end and tackle.

Now that NFL.com has reported the salary cap will be at $133 million (giving the Bears about $6 million to $7 million extra), what are the chances they will be willing to spend more on a big free agent and be able to bring back key players like Charles Tillman and Henry Melton? – Andrew F.
    I don’t think the bump in the salary cap is really going to affect the Bears a great deal here. Keep in mind, contracts for Jay Cutler and others were structured in such a way that general manager Phil Emery could create additional cap room as needed. The bump is leaguewide and what a lot of people fail to realize is that while it gives the Bears more room to operate, the 31 other teams they are competing against have that same bump in space.

Why don't teams use current players on their roster to work out potential prospects? I remember Jay Cutler helping out Earl Bennett when he was coming out of school. Seems like scouts would be able to gain a different perspective in the evaluation process, especially for finding potential starters. Imagine having Brandon Marshall go through a workout with projected first round defensive backs. – Robert, Chicago
    Good question. Cutler worked out with Bennett at the wide receiver’s pro day at Vanderbilt at the invitation of Bennett. It would be a violation of the CBA for teams to ask current players to be involved in workouts at this time of year. Plus, NFL clubs can put college prospects through workouts only at their college or in their hometown. They can’t bring a cornerback to Halas Hall and put him through drills in the Walter Payton Center. That would be a violation of rules. The scouts and decision makers get paid good money too. They should be able to determine what they are looking at.

Help me with something: while discussing the potential for a defensive turnaround in 2014, Marc Trestman stated that there were 10 players who were not on the roster at this time last year but "significantly impacted" the 2013 offense. Even if I include Dante Rosario and Marquess Wilson (neither of whom I feel "significantly" impacted the offense), I still can’t find 10. Who am I missing? Jermon Bushrod, Matt Slauson, Kyle Long, Jordan Mills, Eben Britton, Martellus Bennett, Tony Fiammetta, Dante Rosario and Marquess Wilson? That’s nine. – Herb H.
    Quarterback Josh McCown was not under contract to the Bears during the scouting combine a year ago. He agreed to terms on March 29, 2013. Running back Michael Ford had a role on special teams as well. Swing tackle Jonathan Scott, who was not used, was also not under contract.

Assume teams make an unexpected run to take defensive players off the board in the draft. Do you think the Bears would "reach" for defensive players then, or take a higher rated offensive guy, like a tight end or offensive lineman? – Greg F., LaGrange
    A lot of people talk about drafting the “best available” player and in a lot of ways that is a utopian approach to the draft, especially the first round. The best available player typically means the player that is in best position to come in and improve your football team. When grades are close, teams are usually going to go with the player that fills the need on the roster. If there is a large discrepancy, then a conversation needs to take place. In this draft, I think you can confidently look at some of the quarterbacks, offensive tackles and even wide receivers available for the first half of the round and feel good there will be quality defensive players at a couple positions on the board when the Bears go on the clock at No. 14.

What is your take on drafting a developmental quarterback? Seems a bit early given Jay Cutler’s deal is minimum three years and the vast needs on defense. -- @cquast12 from Twitter
    It’s a good concept but I think the decision needs to be driven more on the player you are considering than the specific need at the time. I agree that with Cutler likely the starter through at least 2016, the timing of bringing in a draft pick at the position isn’t ideal. But if the Bears see a quarterback in the fifth round they hold in high regard, why not? It is the most important position, after all. Conversely, if it was two years from now and the timing for adding a young quarterback made more sense, I still wouldn’t pull the trigger unless I felt strongly about the player.

You thought they would be in good shape with those defensive tackles a year ago but the depth wasn’t what it needed to be and then injuries struck. Even if the Bears re-sign Henry Melton, Jeremiah Ratliff and even Nate Collins, they will need an infusion of young talent. I agree with you that the end position is even more pressing because the lack of depth there is a serious issue. Quite simply the Bears cannot go into the draft without having a starting defensive end. I believe this has to be the primary targeted position in free agency. Whether that means success or not, I don’t know.

The Bears met with agent Drew Rosenhaus at the scouting combine and that’s a natural course of business. The club met with probably dozens of agents throughout the week. Rosenhaus represents Greg Hardy and Michael Bennett, arguably the top two defensive ends. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – I don’t see any way Hardy gets out of Carolina and to free agency. The Seahawks are also reported to be making a strong push to re-sign Bennett. Rosenhaus currently has 104 active contracts in the NFL, so he could have been meeting with the Bears about any number of players. There are no hidden secrets when you study the Bears’ depth chart though. Their needs start at defensive end and tackle.

Not a lot of Chris Conte fans exist in Chicago. Is there any upside to keeping him? Can he be revived? -- @EdieNoNose from Twitter
    There’s no downside to keeping him right now. He’s still under his rookie contract and the Bears have a complete lack of depth at the position. Cutting Conte would only create another space that needs to be filled. Conte is not going to be handed a starting job. I do not expect Major Wright to be back this year. That means the Bears will have to bring in a minimum of two safeties. Conte has to improve. If he can play like he did in 2012, he can help the football team. If he doesn’t get better, a decision can be made at final roster cuts. Trimming him now doesn’t make sense. He’s got athletic ability and range. We’ll see where he is at this summer.

If D.J. Williams returns is the strong-side linebacker job a battle between Shea McClellin and Jon Bostic? - @danjnolte from Twitter
    I wrote about this a couple weeks ago. Don’t be so fast to move Bostic out of the middle. I think McClellin and Bostic will be moved around a good deal and get chances at each spot but Bostic ultimately could remain in the middle.

Is there any legitimacy (actual interest by the Bears) in Marty Bennett's efforts to bring his brother to Chicago? -- @JwBreesus from Twitter
    Martellus Bennett’s main purpose, I am quite sure, is to see that his brother gets top dollar. He’s been asked about the situation and has referred to the role Benjamin Franklin will play in the process. Yes, that Franklin, the one on the front of $100 bills. This isn’t Pop Warner where you get the family and friends together. Their relationship should not play a role in the decision. Michael Bennett is talented and could be a disruptive right end for the Bears if he was signed in free agency. I don’t know that he will make it out of Seattle but we will find out.

Of last year’s rookies (besides Kyle Long), which will break out this year? -- @stcollins23 from Twitter
    Some were not as enthusiastic about the season right tackle Jordan Mills had as I was. I thought he did a nice job for a rookie fifth-round pick and the arrow looks to be pointing up. Watching Bears football for 13 seasons, I can tell you what bad offensive line play looks like. There has been a lot of it. Mills doesn’t belong in that kind of conversation and I believe he surrendered only three sacks over the course of the season. He’s humble, hard working and I think he has a little room to grow into his frame. Mills took a professional approach to his job and that is why I see room for real growth. His foot injury is healing and from what I understand he’ll be fully cleared in time for OTAs. That gives him some time in the spring and summer to take the next step. As far as other candidates for breakout seasons, it’s worth noting the Bears were sixth in the NFL in starts by rookies a year ago. Obviously, Long and Mills had a lot to do with that. The Bears need Jon Bostic or Khaseem Greene (or both) to make major advances at linebacker. I think wide receiver Marquess Wilson could be ready to have an expanded role on offense too and could provide depth, at the minimum.

What is the probability of the Bears signing a big name free agent like Greg Hardy or T.J. Ward? -- @Zakisddiqui3 from Twitter
    I don’t see any way Hardy makes it to March 11 as a free agent. I don’t know that I would classify Ward as a “big name” free agent either. I like Ward. Tough, physical player that could bring a lot of skills to the back end of the defense. But big name? I suppose that is a matter of opinion. The Browns surely would like to keep Ward, especially if they can’t add Jairus Byrd, who played under new head coach Mike Pettine in Buffalo.

Any indication of Phil Emery possibly trading down? Lots of holes to fill in a deep draft. Why not stockpile picks? -- @asajr86 from Twitter
    He’s already on record as saying he would like to acquire more draft picks. He and everyone else out there. The problem with trading down is getting what you believe is fair value in return. With a deep first round this year it might be more difficult. For instance, a team selecting around No. 20 might see talent available that wouldn’t be at No. 10 in a normal draft. In that case, why spend the picks necessary to jump up to No. 14 where the Bears are? It’s a good idea but everyone talks about it and the reality is it is tough to find a dance partner.

What is the percentage the Bears sign Jay Ratliff back? Could they go after DeMarcus Ware? -- @TheGodfathertwo from Twitter
    I think chances remain pretty good the Bears bring back Ratliff. The club would like to re-sign him and he expressed interest in returning. He obviously felt a comfort level with the coaching staff during his five-game stretch at the end of last season. It probably depends on what kind of market unfolds for Ratliff, who will turn 33 before the start of the season. Chances are there isn’t a big pay day out there. As far as Ware, he will be 32 before the start of next season. He’s coming off an injury plagued season and dealt with elbow, back and quad issues. His production has dipped considerably. The Bears need to find some one-year bargains but I don’t know if Ware will be in that bin if the Cowboys cut him loose. The focus needs to be on younger players to build around, not stop-gap measures.

If the Bears were to draft a defensive lineman in the first round do you think they could find a starting safety in the later rounds? -- @MrRyanCox from Twitter
    Sure. There will be some solid prospects in later rounds. I kind of like Washington State’s Deone Bucannon. He is physical, plays with passion and has a nose for the ball. He could be an intriguing option in the second or third rounds.

Michael Sam is a defensive end which the Bears need. Do you see any possibility that he is drafted by the Bears? -- @TannerDSports
    Sam did very well for himself at the scouting combine when it came to tackling questions about his sudden vault into the spotlight as an openly gay athlete. He handled himself with class and poise and said his goal is to be talked about as simply Michael Sam the football player. Unfortunately, Sam didn’t do as well on the field. He didn’t run well and had only 17 reps on the bench press at 225 pounds meaning he might not be strong enough to hold up well at the point of attack. Sam was a productive player in college but I think NFL folks are having a difficult time projecting his skill set to the NFL right now. Someone is going to give him an opportunity. Who knows? Maybe he proves a lot of folks wrong.

Are you surprised Dante Rosario was re-signed? -- @orajestad9 from Twitter
    That did not surprise me. Rosario was dependable as a reserve and on special teams but not spectacular. What would surprise me is if the Bears abandoned the pursuit of an upgrade for the No. 2 position behind Martellus Bennett. Rosario would be better cast as a No. 3, in my opinion.

What is the probability of the Bears taking a chance on Aaron Donald at No. 14? -- @pulyx from Twitter
    Chances go up if Henry Melton is not re-signed. If Melton is on board, it’s hard to see Donald making a lot of sense.

Any chance if Atlanta releases Thomas DeCoud the Bears make a move? -- @rayllis18 from Twitter
    The Falcons are hardly in a position where they can let talented defensive players walk. The Bears need to aim higher.

Any pulse on how enthusiastic the Bears are on the futures of Demontre Hurst and C.J. Wilson? They both looked nice as future prospects at cornerback. Does their presence ease the urgency for help at corner as opposed to other areas of need? -- Davan S.
    Wilson, the faster of the two players, spent seven games on the roster and appeared in two on special teams. He’s got big time speed but wasn’t a natural on special teams and will need to be better in that area to stick this year. Hurst is a little undersized and really projects as a nickel where the Bears had a better player in Isaiah Frey. Neither one makes cornerback less of a pressing issue for the Bears. Depending on how free agency shakes out, you couldn’t rule out cornerback at No. 14.

bmbiggs@tribune.com
    Twitter @BradBiggs
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +747 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    738ß
    Think he has been reading our Board LOL:36_1_11[1]:
    • Like Like x 3
  3. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    Didn't decoud get released by the falcons?
  4. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,383 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    802ß
    I really like reading Biggs stuff. Here's 7 points that I found interesting in that piece:

1. "the best guess I can give at this point is that Peppers is released at some point"

2. "I don’t see any way the Bears extend Peppers’ deal to spread out the cap hit. They have restructured him twice and that is one reason why his cap number for this season is north of $18 million. A pay cut for Peppers is possible but I would lean more toward an outright release."

3. "Quite simply the Bears cannot go into the draft without having a starting defensive end. I believe this has to be the primary targeted position in free agency"

4. "There are no hidden secrets when you study the Bears’ depth chart though. Their needs start at defensive end and tackle."

5. "Marquess Wilson could be ready to have an expanded role on offense too and could provide depth, at the minimum"

6. "What would surprise me is if the Bears abandoned the pursuit of an upgrade for the No. 2 position behind Martellus Bennett"

7. "If Melton is on board, it’s hard to see Donald making a lot of sense"
    • Like Like x 1
  5. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,597ß
    Number 7 is the only one I don't agree with because you need players in the rotation to keep the pass rushers fresh and unless Emery is planning on signing Ratliff, Collins and Wootton in addition to Melton I believe the need will still exist. That said if they aren't successful in keeping Pep and/or don't sign Wootton or find the help they need in FA then DE becomes a must and a guy like Ealy is more likely to be their guy. But in this case it's simply because the need at DE outweighs the needs at DT. (personally I don't expect Melton to return)

The other I disagree with Biggsy on is about Bostic. That kid is not a MLB and continuing to play him there risks they same outcome and wasted year they had with McClellin trying to play DE last year instead or moving him to LB. Bostic's skills, his range, hitting ability, open field tackling ability are ideal for a pursuit LB who doesn't need to fight off blockers in his face every play. Urlacher got away without the ability to stack and shed because he was big and fast and could cover and pursue but as a run stuffing MLB he was not Butkus or Singletary.

Other than that I can't say I disagree with much he said because I've been saying similar things as well. The Pep thing is still up in the air but I believe he's right in that they can take their time with it and see what FA and the draft bring and then decide. In the meantime his agent will be sniffing around and if he can do as well or nearly as well playing for Lovie in TB or Chico in Carolina I think he'd prefer that to remaining in Chicago. I believe they'd like him to stay but it's probably not practical for either side.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,383 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    802ß
    I thought this was accurate too.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,597ß
    And that's what Emery said at the Combine as well and Biggsy kind of reinforces it. This draft has some good players at so many positions the first tier looks good for a lot of teams as far as finding guys they like. Look at the Bears. There's a CB, two Safeties, a DE, and a DT any of whom could fit a need they have and they'll probably have their choice of at least three of them. Other teams may see the same because some of those guys are gonna fall even farther and be great picks later on.

I think there's a lot of quality and depth in the second tier guys that will go in rounds two and three as well. There are a lot of players in there who can start for teams. Some of the draftniks and gurus have been saying there'll be guys drafted in three who might have been late first or high second round picks in another draft. So it probably pays to have more picks in those rounds but only if there isn't a specific guy you just have to have at #14 who may not last.
  8. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +747 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    738ß
    Agreed, if we can get some additional picks in the 2nd and 3rd would be awesome. I gave an example in a thread 'TRADING PARTNER." I hope we can do some trades with San Francisco to help us fill the many needs we have. Additionally I would hate to let the 49ers stockpile that many good backups. They could be the next dynasty with all those picks.
  9. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,597ß
    Well here's a possibility for that. I just posted NFL.com's Top 25 propects and interestingly enough Kony Ealy isn't among them. Too many 3-4 type "rushbackers" ahead of him and too few 4-3 teams looking for a 4-3 DE but.........the Bears may need one. If Ealy rates somewhere between 26 and 32 it's possible the Bears could drop back and draft him but I think that's contingent on signing Melton. Otherwise I think they'll stay put and try to draft Donald or possibly Jernigan but I think Donald is the better fit to replace Melton. Hell, I'd take him even if they sign Melton.
  10. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,220 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    258ß
    Trading down to get a bunch of extra picks

Talked about every year, seldom materializes that way
  11. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,597ß
    True dat. Like Emery said at the Combine. It tough to get enough value to make the trade anymore.

With the new CBA teams value draft picks like never before because it means a stock of cheap players. Some become immediate starters, some back up and play STeams and some get cut but most of them are far less expensive than the long term vets they're drafted to replace.

Teams don't relish the idea of trading away mid round picks especially in a deep draft because that's where a lot of the value picks come from. Those guys are intended to become starters and you can lock them up cheap for four years. The other problem I see is whether or not you can get the same caliber of player at 20 or 25 as you can get at 15 and that seldom figures into the equation. You may get compensation in the way of picks for the difference in value but those are later picks so you may be giving up an impact player for a bunch of role players.

I believe that if you do it then it should be because the player you want will still be there so might as well take advantage of someone else's panic that a player they want may not. Also, if you hold a premium pick never sell it cheap. Always get more than the value charts say you should or walk away from it. If the other guy wants your pick badly enough he'll pay for it.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,005ß
    obviously
    It's either a restructure w/a cut or a cut, not an extension
    I've talked about this to, DE is just as important right now as DT, and CB/FS are not a far behind that. It's why FA is going to be so important.
    and continue on they need a starting CB and FS and MLB also, got a field a team at every position.
    He was able to start being that at the end of last year, WR and OLB are the only 2 areas the team actually has decent depth
    Those are what hit me. When the Rosario signing happened that's why I was surprised, and said I wouldn't be surprised if they still tried to upgrade, he's a good blocking TE, but nothing great and you cannot assume Fendi is going to take the next step.
    If 2 of the 3 guys that played DT last year are on board, and you still have a need somewhere else for a starter then ya Donald doesn't make since, and it would mean that you probably didn't cover one of the above areas so you would expect the team to go elsewhere. Merely Melton on board won't be enough to swing away from DT unless a better player is on the board at another position. Biggest thing is that DT has more depth in this draft, DE is much thinner.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,383 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    802ß
    +1

Those are good points Ric. I'm not getting down on anyone here, but I read so many posts that seem to think it's going to be a breeze to fix our defense this season. But there is no pixie dust magic that is going to make the rebuilding effort - and rebuilding of quality depth - a walk in the park. Hey, I hope they are right. But honestly I think they are delusional. This is not a thing that will be fixed in one off-season alone. This is going to take at least until 2015, and maybe even 2016 before the ship is completely turned around. Now, if the expectation is just that we cobble together a patchwork defense and that's "good enough" with our current offense, well, I question if that's going to get us anything or anywhere. If that is how low we've set the bar on our defense in Chicago, then don't expect much of anything accomplished this year - certainly not a division championship or deep playoff run. And THAT is what I am looking for - to be relevant again in the NFL.

To win championships again.

And Green Bay won't be a weak opponent again this season like last. That was an aberration we probably won't see again for years. If we want to wrest the championship away from GB, then we're going to have to build a defense that can slow down Aaron Rodgers. Mediocrity won't do that. Sorry.
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  14. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    JABF, I caution you to not over react to last year. Was it historically bad...absolutely...but again there were a lot of factors that lead to that, chief among them injury. While I certainly don't think there is any magic pixie dust out there, I also don't think we will see anywhere close to the injuries we had this past year. Could I be wrong...yep...but odds are it won't happen again.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,383 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    802ß
    I expect the defense to improve this year. It has to. But I don't think this is a one year deal like some seem to think. I could be wrong, but that's my feeling on this. And I'm not basing this on one bad year. I'm basing it on what I see. But, I don't claim to be any kind of expert. Hey, all you guys can tell me "I told you so" when I'm wrong here :) and I do hope I'm wrong on this one.
  16. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    Yeah, I'm not saying we'll be a top 5 defense next year...I hope we are...but I can't see it being as bad or anywhere near as bad as it was this year.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,988 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,005ß
    Butkus, I'm not worried about last year, those inj's are a fluke, I think the thing about it is that there is SO much turnover it's going to be hard to get starter quality everywhere, let alone quality backup. It'd be one thing if it was just starting DL they need and then depth, but probably 3 starting DL, a MLB a CB and a FS, AND depth, that's a work load, and you still need a quality backup TE, a backup RB(if Bush is cut).
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,597ß
    I'm less worried about injuries than I am about the fact that we have exactly one NT and one RDE under contract right now and the RDE has such a high cap number that if he doesn't swallow a huge salary cut he's gone too and so far "Alligator Phil" hasn't re-signed even one of his free agent DLinemen.

If he'd been even marginally successful with his defensive FA signings and drafts I'd be a little more trusting but he hasn't and that should be a concern to all of us. This is a huge reconstruction project and so far all we've been hearing is that they're still looking over the plans. I think it's time to put the shovel in the dirt.
  19. soulman

Ratings:
    +1,866 / 6 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,597ß
    Well when you're ranked 31st it can't get much worse can it? It seems to me like there's only one way to go but how high does Mel Tucker's elevator go? You don't win championships with a middle of the road defense.
  20. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +579 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    284ß
    The problem is you can't put the shovel in the dirt yet. The dirt won't thaw out for another 4 days.
    • Like Like x 2