Biggsy's Mailbag 2/28/2014....................

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by soulman, Mar 2, 2014.

1. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    True dat. Like Emery said at the Combine. It tough to get enough value to make the trade anymore.

With the new CBA teams value draft picks like never before because it means a stock of cheap players. Some become immediate starters, some back up and play STeams and some get cut but most of them are far less expensive than the long term vets they're drafted to replace.

Teams don't relish the idea of trading away mid round picks especially in a deep draft because that's where a lot of the value picks come from. Those guys are intended to become starters and you can lock them up cheap for four years. The other problem I see is whether or not you can get the same caliber of player at 20 or 25 as you can get at 15 and that seldom figures into the equation. You may get compensation in the way of picks for the difference in value but those are later picks so you may be giving up an impact player for a bunch of role players.

I believe that if you do it then it should be because the player you want will still be there so might as well take advantage of someone else's panic that a player they want may not. Also, if you hold a premium pick never sell it cheap. Always get more than the value charts say you should or walk away from it. If the other guy wants your pick badly enough he'll pay for it.

• Like Like x 1
  2. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,407 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,897ß
    obviously
    It's either a restructure w/a cut or a cut, not an extension
    I've talked about this to, DE is just as important right now as DT, and CB/FS are not a far behind that. It's why FA is going to be so important.
    and continue on they need a starting CB and FS and MLB also, got a field a team at every position.
    He was able to start being that at the end of last year, WR and OLB are the only 2 areas the team actually has decent depth
    Those are what hit me. When the Rosario signing happened that's why I was surprised, and said I wouldn't be surprised if they still tried to upgrade, he's a good blocking TE, but nothing great and you cannot assume Fendi is going to take the next step.
    If 2 of the 3 guys that played DT last year are on board, and you still have a need somewhere else for a starter then ya Donald doesn't make since, and it would mean that you probably didn't cover one of the above areas so you would expect the team to go elsewhere. Merely Melton on board won't be enough to swing away from DT unless a better player is on the board at another position. Biggest thing is that DT has more depth in this draft, DE is much thinner.

3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,440 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    4,014ß
    +1

Those are good points Ric. I'm not getting down on anyone here, but I read so many posts that seem to think it's going to be a breeze to fix our defense this season. But there is no pixie dust magic that is going to make the rebuilding effort - and rebuilding of quality depth - a walk in the park. Hey, I hope they are right. But honestly I think they are delusional. This is not a thing that will be fixed in one off-season alone. This is going to take at least until 2015, and maybe even 2016 before the ship is completely turned around. Now, if the expectation is just that we cobble together a patchwork defense and that's "good enough" with our current offense, well, I question if that's going to get us anything or anywhere. If that is how low we've set the bar on our defense in Chicago, then don't expect much of anything accomplished this year - certainly not a division championship or deep playoff run. And THAT is what I am looking for - to be relevant again in the NFL.

To win championships again.

And Green Bay won't be a weak opponent again this season like last. That was an aberration we probably won't see again for years. If we want to wrest the championship away from GB, then we're going to have to build a defense that can slow down Aaron Rodgers. Mediocrity won't do that. Sorry.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2014
    • Like Like x 2
  4. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +2,058 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,530ß
    JABF, I caution you to not over react to last year. Was it historically bad...absolutely...but again there were a lot of factors that lead to that, chief among them injury. While I certainly don't think there is any magic pixie dust out there, I also don't think we will see anywhere close to the injuries we had this past year. Could I be wrong...yep...but odds are it won't happen again.

• Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,440 / 4 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    4,014ß
    I expect the defense to improve this year. It has to. But I don't think this is a one year deal like some seem to think. I could be wrong, but that's my feeling on this. And I'm not basing this on one bad year. I'm basing it on what I see. But, I don't claim to be any kind of expert. Hey, all you guys can tell me "I told you so" when I'm wrong here :) and I do hope I'm wrong on this one.

6. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +2,058 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,530ß
    Yeah, I'm not saying we'll be a top 5 defense next year...I hope we are...but I can't see it being as bad or anywhere near as bad as it was this year.

• Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka
    DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +4,407 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,897ß
    Butkus, I'm not worried about last year, those inj's are a fluke, I think the thing about it is that there is SO much turnover it's going to be hard to get starter quality everywhere, let alone quality backup. It'd be one thing if it was just starting DL they need and then depth, but probably 3 starting DL, a MLB a CB and a FS, AND depth, that's a work load, and you still need a quality backup TE, a backup RB(if Bush is cut).

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    I'm less worried about injuries than I am about the fact that we have exactly one NT and one RDE under contract right now and the RDE has such a high cap number that if he doesn't swallow a huge salary cut he's gone too and so far "Alligator Phil" hasn't re-signed even one of his free agent DLinemen.

If he'd been even marginally successful with his defensive FA signings and drafts I'd be a little more trusting but he hasn't and that should be a concern to all of us. This is a huge reconstruction project and so far all we've been hearing is that they're still looking over the plans. I think it's time to put the shovel in the dirt.

9. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,917 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    713ß
    Well when you're ranked 31st it can't get much worse can it? It seems to me like there's only one way to go but how high does Mel Tucker's elevator go? You don't win championships with a middle of the road defense.

10. butkus3595

butkus3595 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +2,058 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    2,530ß
    The problem is you can't put the shovel in the dirt yet. The dirt won't thaw out for another 4 days.

• Like Like x 2