Biggsy's NEW Mailbag....All Aboard!!!!

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Aug 18, 2014.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/chi-bears-mailbag-20140818-story.html#page=1

Biggsy gives his unique take on the Holmes signing, the OL situation, and the HenryBurris' new avatar!!!

Hey big sexy Brad, is Santonio Holmes gonna help? -- @patgargolf from Twitter
    It can’t hurt to look, can it? Holmes was on the street and this is an opportunity for him, at 30, to re-start his career after some injury-marred seasons with the Jets. This looks like about a three-week tryout with two preseason games to me. If he shows well, he’s probably going to have a spot on the team to begin the season and a role on the field. I wouldn’t necessarily peg him to the slot either, which is what a lot of people think about when they talk about a third wide receiver. Holmes has played on the inside some but he’s primarily been an X receiver. The Bears move Brandon Marshall and Alshon Jeffery around a great deal and they each spend considerable time on the inside. It’s going to be interesting to see how this plays out.
    [​IMG]
    OPEN LINK
    With the signing of Santonio Holmes, is there any room for Marquess Wilson to still remain with this team? -- @AGuyNamedJeff from Twitter
    Wilson is going to be with the Bears this season one way or another. At this point it is a question of if and when he gets on the field. If for some reason Wilson cannot return this season, he’d be shifted to injured reserve. They’re not going to cut him loose. Holmes is a short-term solution. If he gets his career back on track this season, surely he’ll be seeking some kind of pay day after the season and the Bears are going to need to extend Alshon Jeffery at some point. Wilson has a role in the future. I’m not suggesting Wilson could go on IR this season but the team has said next to nothing about a timetable for a return so it’s impossible to speculate when he could be back in action.
    Can Santonio Holmes still return kicks? -- @GeorgieMusur from Twitter
    Not unless you’ve got a time machine in mind. I got a couple questions along these lines but I don’t see any way it happens. Holmes returned 60 punts for the Steelers in his first three seasons in the NFL but that was long ago. The last time he returned kicks was 2010 with the Jets when he had four punt returns. The Bears’ search for viable return men will have to take them elsewhere. If they can’t find appealing options on the roster, and right now Chris Williams and Micheal Spurlock are probably the last options, keep a close eye on the waiver wire and potential street free agents. It could be the 2014 returner isn’t on the roster at this point.
    Would the Bears cut Santonio Holmes on the final cutdown and sign him after Week 1 to avoid paying guaranteed salary? -- @jtbbears from Twitter

You are referring to a move teams make at the start of the season on occasion to avoid potentially having to pay what is known as termination pay for a vested veteran that could be released during the season. Players with four years of service are “vested veterans” and if they are on the roster for the first regular-season game, they can claim full termination pay if they are released at some point during the season. If a player is not on the Week 1 roster and is signed some time after the start of the season, his termination pay is just a small fraction of what it would be otherwise. For example, say an eighth-year offensive lineman that is on the team to begin the season is released after Week 8. He could claim for termination pay and the Bears would have to pay him the remaining nine weeks (17 weeks of pay in NFL season) of his salary. Vested veterans can exercise this option only once during their career. So if a fifth-year player is released in Week 15, he and his agent have to weigh the pros and cons of those two weeks of remaining pay vs. the possibility there might be a future point in his career when he when he could be released much earlier in a season. Holmes has never exercised this option in his career. If memory serves me correct, the Bears used this type of maneuver recently with offensive tackle Jonathan Scott, releasing him just before the start of the season and then bringing him back. Agents with veterans who have previously claimed termination pay will try to sell that point to clubs when trying to get their clients signed because the team could not potentially be put on the hook for termination pay. I know that defensive end Trevor Scott claimed termination pay from the Buccaneers last season. I doubt the Bears would try this type of cut and re-sign with Holmes.
    What is the latest on Chris Williams? Can we expect to see him in any of the last two preseason games or will he be out for an extended period of time? --Chuck D., Liuzhou, China, from email
    The hope is Williams will be able to play Friday night at Seattle. His right hamstring injury was considered mild. It happened at the beginning of his 73-yard touchdown against the Eagles and he still outran the defense. Certainly Williams needs to get on the field so the Bears can put him in game situations as a returner. He and Micheal Spurlock are in the mix for return jobs right now following the release of Eric Weems.
    What's the thinking on the draftees from this year after Kyle Fuller? None of them (punter excluded) have cracked the first team or made any memorable plays. Should we be concerned? -- Matt S., from email
    Fourth-round pick Brock Vereen is in the mix at free safety, a competition which will expand by one when Chris Conte is cleared to participate in the games. I don’t think anyone expected tackles Ego Ferguson or Will Sutton to make their way into the starting lineup right away. It’s probably a good thing Stephen Paea has stepped up his game this summer. Ka’Deem Carey wasn’t going to push Matt Forte for a job. We’ll see how this season goes for Ferguson and Sutton but I expect Fuller to play a key role. The good news with him is the ankle injury suffered Thursday night was not serious.
    In retrospect I’m not that surprised that Shaun Draughn has emerged as Matt Forte’s primary backup. Most people mention his receiving abilities but almost no one points out that he’s a veteran who knows how to pass protect. It looks to me like Ka’Deem Carey has also shown some good things in this area. I’m guessing that this is the primary differentiating factor, no? -- Tom S., Chicago
    I think that is a topic everyone has discussed when it comes to the reserve running backs. Skip Peete, the position coach, has made that clear from Day 1 last season. The first thing a running back has to be able to do to get on the field is understand the pass protection assignments and be able to execute them. Draughn might be a little faster than he was earlier in his career in Kansas City and he’s certainly in excellent shape. Experience in pass protection, even though he hasn’t played a lot as a pro, certainly helps him.

If Jordan Mills and Eben Britton aren't back on field how does that change roster options for the offensive line? -- @rhyno34 from Twitter
    You’re talking about a scenario where the Bears would begin the season without their right tackle and the player who was projected to be the swing tackle when training camp began. That would force the team to go deeper to fill Mills’ position but I think it is fair to say journeyman Michael Ola has been one of the surprises of preseason to this point. I don’t know if Ola is ready to go against the Bills’ Mario Williams in Week 1. That is where Buffalo lines up its best pass rusher and if Ola was forced to start, offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer and offensive line coach Pat Meyer would have to design a gameplan with a lot of help in mind for Ola. Mills maintains he will play in preseason and his status is worth paying attention to this week. Britton’s hamstring injury looked like a rough one. He’s been sidelined about three weeks so far.
    bmbiggs@tribune.com
    Twitter @BradBiggs
    • Like Like x 1
    • Bear Down! Bear Down! x 1
  2. RochBear

RochBear Veteran

Ratings:
    +56 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    118ß
    Biggs knows a heck of a lot more about the Bears and the NFL than I do, but is wonder if he is right on this point. There are plenty of punt returners who have done that at Holmes age (if Biggs mean to imply that Holmes is too old). If Holmes is just no good at it then that's that, but I'd think he was relieved of those duties early when he became an important starter because of injury concerns. His role with the Bears who be a lesser one probably allowing a return role despite the injury concern.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,703 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,227ß
    Doesn't sound too good if C.Will isn't the guy. The season begins pretty soon. I wish we could get this nailed down sooner rather than later.

I wondered.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  4. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß

IMHO Holmes would not even be an upgrade on Weems as a returner. We need to get CWill healthy for PR and then try a few other guys on KOR. Draughn is a guy I'd like to see get a shot at it. He's fast and he's a very smooth runner. He kind of weaves through traffic. Ford is still a possibility if he's also playing well on coverage teams.

The thing with Holmes right now is that he's basically got three weeks to learn this offense and prove he belongs on the field. If not they'll release him. No sense in him spending time with returning kicks and punts while his priorities are elsewhere.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,703 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,227ß
    +1
    Two weeks from this Seahawks game is the real season. We're rapidly running out of time.
  6. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    If by chance CWill isn't their guy or he's still injured, or gets injured again because it sounds like he'll play this week, watch for them to bring in a few more guys off the street or players who were waived elsewhere. I sure wish Hester hadn't been able to command such a high paycheck.
  7. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,891 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,205ß
    Someone said they have him playing WR again. History just keeps repeating itself. Wasn't a good idea here and won;t be a good idea there. He won;t make much of an impact, but on the other hand, they have not anointed him the #1 WR either, so expectations are lower.
  8. B-ell-y-iot

B-ell-y-iot Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +365 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    339ß
    In a different thread, Michael Ford's name was called on as a potential replacement kick returner. And you accurately stated
    I agree with this. As such, I HOPE Chris Williams, now that he's healthy, will start getting the bulk of the repetitions. Although I do believe they'll keep trying Spurlock's luck. With that said, and as I put it elsewhere, we have a couple of guys who can and have returned kicks who should get some opportunities later in this week's game and in the 4th preseason game. Namely, Josh Morgan and Ka'Deem Carey. Morgan returned kicks and punts last year with the Redskins and Ka'Deem returned kicks in college. I don't know that they are the solution to the problem long term (hopefully Williams is) but they can potentially be utility players at the position without sucking up an added roster spot.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,374 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    398ß
    That's just the problem with Ford (above). He would be the 4th RB at best right now. Probably 5th after Perry truth be told. Are the Bears going to keep a FB and 4 RBs? I doubt it. I also doubt they'd cut Fiametta. Ford needs to be lights out on STs to have a chance and he hasn't helped his case in the first 2 PS games IMHO.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,202 / 3 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    574ß
    Holmes was signed because he is a better receiver than Weems. It was obvious that we weren't going to get anything from Weems in the kicking game, so as a straight up receiving comparison, we did the right thing.....even if we end up cutting Holmes.

As for what to do at KR/PR. I still believe that CWill will at least be the PR, and I agree with B-ell-y-iot that Josh Morgan is the next man up, followed by Michael Ford (who did fairly well in that role last year). I don't see Spurlock making the team.

And for the record, I don't see us keeping both 10 OL and 10 DL. Actually, I'd say only 9 of each if we didn't have 2 injured OL's right now.

If for whatever reason those three can't get the job done, there will be a few decent options on the free agent/PS market to choose from.
  11. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,233 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    157ß
    +2 for BMG's and BIH's avatars
    :18 1 205:
  12. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,891 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,205ß
    I can't speak for BMG, but Little Bears avatar was quite distracting and thought I was falling a little behind the times with my boring avatar. I wanted to stay abreast of things. (pun intended, of course)
  13. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    I just wanted my own horny avatar! Rumor has it that our HenryBurris used to bang this chick! Henry, can you confirm?!
  14. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,891 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,205ß
    Well BMG, she IS wearing one of the best double breasted suits I have seen.
  15. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    Sorry guys, but I had to all an audible. Those orange stiletto heels......
  16. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,891 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,205ß
    nnnoooooooo......
  17. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    I brought her back, BearsinHouston!!!
  18. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,891 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,205ß
    Thank God. I was in withdrawal I think...... Sweating profusely, all the blood drained from my brain, feeling all shaky.... oh hell... sorry, I got a little confused. That was while you still had her...
  19. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +353 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    307ß
    so you prefer her to the brunette in the orange heels, eh BIH?
  20. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,891 / 7 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,205ß
    You know BMG... I think it's one of those things you have to try them all and compare... Just to be fair