Bowman injures hamstring

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by little bear, Aug 24, 2013.

1. little bear

little bear Assistant Head Coach

Ratings:
    +908 / 1 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    899ß
    http://espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/story/_/id/9596146/zack-bowman-chicago-bears-hurts-hamstring

CB Bowman (hamstring) leaves game

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Chicago Bears cornerback Zack Bowman left the game with a right hamstring injury in the second quarter against the Oakland Raiders, the team announced.
    Bowman remained on the sidelines for the rest of the quarter but had his right leg wrapped in ice.

"Hopefully it's not something that is going to take him a long time to heal," Bears head coach Marc Trestman said. "But hamstrings are what they are; they're always some of the most difficult injuries to come back from in a quick period of time."
    Bowman is an important member of the team, serving as the No. 3 cornerback on defense in addition to being a core special teams contributor.
    The Bears re-signed Bowman to a one-year deal in free agency after he recorded 11 special-teams tackles last year in just 11 games. The 2008 fifth-round draft choice started 12 games for the Bears in 2009 and led the team with six interceptions, the fourth highest total in the NFC that year. Bowman has made 16 career starts , but none since the end of 2011.

The Bears depth at cornerback took a hit early in training camp when veteran Kelvin Hayden suffered a season-ending torn hamstring.

--------------------

Hope he's coming back. Btw, Frey has been a surprise so far. Sucked pretty bad last year but now it looks like he's been practising a lot. Good news for him.

And what's up with McManis? What has he done lately?
  2. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    I thought I saw something this AM that said it as bad and might be a tear. Guess we'll have to wait for more news.

This is bad for Bowman and the Bears because he was a great STeams "Gunner" and starting to play CB the way he needs to in this defense. It's gonna leave us a little thin as far as experienced CBs with both him and Hayden out.

Looking at the positives (if you can call them that) it probably saves McManis from getting cut and also provides some insurance for both he and Weems on STeams. But if it's serious Emery should start looking for some vet CB help because other than C J Wilson I thought the rest of them stunk up the place in coverage. Pray Tillman, Jennings and Frey remain uninjured because there ain't much behind them with Hayden and Bowman out.
  3. BearJim

BearJim Veteran SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +157 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    45ß
    I agree Soul. If Bowman's injury is serious we need to pick up a vet CB. Maybe 2.
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,278 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,441ß
    Frey steps up, and after some cuts we'll be able to pick up someone. Hell maybe they'll make a trade for some one, we have some extra pieces that another team might want.
  5. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,323 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    366ß
    Lets trade Webb + Onobun for a one-legged CB.
    • Like Like x 2
  6. dabears70

dabears70 Veteran

Ratings:
    +61 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    72ß
    CJ Wilson didn't look too bad last night.

Anyone else pay any attention to his play so far??
  7. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +173 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Really too bad, as he was showing very good instincts and range this preseason. Hopefully not as bad as is feared. If so, we definitely need to pick up a roster cut for veteran depth.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. soulman

soulman Pro-Bowler SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,914 / 7 / -3
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,760ß
    C J Wilson looks like a rookie and he makes rookie mistakes but he keeps his head up and seems to have a "short memory" which any good NFL CB needs. He blew an easy pick but kept his head in the game and came up with one anyway a play later.

From what I can see so far he's a lot like Frey. He came in with a rep of being around the ball a lot and I think he has some promise but needs a year of seasoning before we turn him loose out there on the edge. If Bowman is out for an extended period of time we could sure use an experienced CB but may need to clear more space to get one.

I didn't see anyone else out of that 2nd and 3rd string bunch who I thought should make the team with the possible exception of McManis strictly as a STeams guy. Bad break losing Bowman right now after already losing Hayden. He was looking like he was finally beginning to understand playing in zone coverage.
  9. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,323 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    366ß
    Anyone heard anything on how serious Bowman's injury is?
  10. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    No, he did not. He's gotten a bit better every game and though he does have a tendency to allow late separation, at least he's quick to recover for the tackle. He's smart and athletic with good size, at the very least, you have a good PSer.