Brad Biggs' 10 thoughts after Bears-Chargers game

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 16, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...-bears-chargers-20130816,0,3369389,full.story

Brad Biggs' 10 thoughts after Bears-Chargers game

By Brad Biggs Tribune reporter

7:59 a.m. CDT, August 16, 2013

Ten thoughts following the Chicago Bears second preseason game Thursday night, a 33-28 victory over the San Diego Chargers at Soldier Field:
    1. It will be interesting to see how the dominos fall after Matt Blanchard left the game in the third quarter with a broken left (non-throwing) hand.
    Blanchard, who suffered a fractured knuckle, is the third quarterback and was a longshot to make the 53-man roster. His loss -- assuming he cannot play with the injury -- will likely lead to a roster move this weekend and might create an interesting situation at final cuts.
    The most immediate issue is the Bears need a third quarterback, particularly for the preseason finale against the Cleveland Browns on Aug. 29. Starter Jay Cutler will barely play in that game and unless the coaching staff wants to expose backup Josh McCown to the unnecessary pitfalls of a preseason game with no other quarterbacks experienced in the system, they will need a third quarterback. For the offense to click, they’ll need someone who can run some basic plays in Marc Trestman’s playbook without much experience.
    When McCown re-entered the game, he threw only three passes and Trestman said the focus was on trying to run the clock and keep him out of harm’s way.
    “I was disappointed, really, for the second and third units on offense because once Matt went down, we really limited what we were going to do offensively,” Trestman said. “We were going to run the football, try to use as much clock as we could, try to keep Josh as safe as we could through the second half and really get out of the game without losing a quarterback.
    “I’m not sure about the time (Blanchard) will be out. But we are sitting there with two quarterbacks going into next week and that’s something we are going to have to repair rather quickly, get a third on the roster.”
    Who could they call? In early June, the team brought in Trent Edwards, Jordan Palmer and former No. 1 overall pick JaMarcus Russell.
    Edwards, 29, might make the most sense at this point. He has 33 career starts and could get a crash course on the offense in time to handle a heavy workload in the preseason finale and give the skill position players opportunities to make plays. Russell doesn’t seem like a project to take on in this situation and Palmer has only thrown 10 passes in regular-season action throughout his career.
    Here’s where it gets interesting: None of the three would be practice squad eligible. The Bears likely would have been interested in keeping a healthy Blanchard on the eight-man developmental squad where he could continue to learn and help out in practice when needed. There isn’t a lot to do for a third quarterback in practice during the regular system. The starting quarterback gets the vast majority of the work. But Blanchard was attractive because a team looking to keep just two quarterbacks on the 53-man roster needs a practice-squad eligible third to have around.
    So, will general manager Phil Emery look for a veteran in this instance or does he start kicking tires on younger players? That probably depends in part on how long Blanchard is expected to be sidelined. Jimmy Coy, a local product from St. Xavier, participated in rookie minicamp on a tryout basis. But he might be a little too far off the beaten path for the Bears to consider him at this point. They need someone that can direct the offense in a basic fashion for that final preseason game.

2. It’s too early to say how Marc Trestman and offensive coordinator Aaron Kromer will evaluate the performance of the rookie right side of their offensive line. First-round pick Kyle Long started at right guard and fifth-round pick Jordan Mills was at right tackle.
    Know this much: They will be looking for reasons to keep Long and Mills on the field for next Friday’s third preseason game at Oakland. The Bears don’t want to turn back to J’Marcus Webb at right tackle and his time on the roster could be dwindling if Jonathan Scott’s right knee holds up following the draining. The point is the Bears are ready to move on and continue the rebuilding process on the line and Mills’ turn could be coming sooner than most anyone expected.
    Webb almost sounded like a defeated man on Sunday when he was moved to left tackle with the second team. He’s started 44 games the previous three seasons and he was asked if he expects to remain a starter.
    “I’m not totally sure,” he said.
    Honest? Maybe. But it speaks to his lack of confidence at this point.
    There is time to evaluate. Trestman called plays to closely evaluate the linemen. With first-and-five on the Chargers’ 11-yard line, he went to three consecutive running plays for Matt Forte, who wound up scoring on a three-yard run between a nice alley created by Long and Mills.
    The tape isn’t going to be perfect but it will probably show upside and that’s what the Bears didn’t see last year or this spring and in training camp with Webb. At this point, a fresh start would probably serve Webb best and there is no question Scott’s veteran demeanor makes him better suited for a swing tackle role. Again, that is provided Scott proves to be reliably healthy.
    “It’s never as good or as bad as you think it is,” Long said. “So we’ll take a look at the film and see how it turned out. But, I didn’t end up on my back, so that’s alright.”
    Trestman was clear that an answer on the starting five for the Sept. 8 opener against the Cincinnati Bengals isn’t coming real soon. But the clues are starting to pile up.
    “I felt as I watched the line of scrimmage and the run game, we were moving the line of scrimmage, we weren’t getting pushed back,” Trestman said. “For the few throws that we had, I felt the two of them played very well from my perspective. I could be wrong, I’ll have a better look at it tomorrow. But Jordan Mills has deserved an opportunity to work. We’ll evaluate it as I said last week. We haven’t made any decisions on the five, this was the week to move people around with going into the third game next week. We did that and I will evaluate and see where we are.
    “We are going to evaluate it and see where we are tomorrow. We will be very much aware of where we think we are by how we go about practicing next week. We are going to look at this thing closely and see where we are.”

3. The scorecard between third running back candidates after the first preseason game at Carolina was jumbled. Armando Allen was one of seven players to be a four-phase starter on special teams, a clear indication of where he fits in Joe DeCamillis’ world. Allen also lost a fumble. Rookie Michael Ford, an undrafted free agent from LSU, ran hard and scored on a short run. He also blew a pass protection assignment leading to a sack, and made an error on another block.
    The situation is more intriguing now as Allen was announced as “week to week” following a hamstring injury earlier this week in training camp. All Ford did against the Chargers was return a kickoff 100 yards. He was caught from behind by Marcus Cromartie at the 4-yard line.
    “I should have got in that end zone,” Ford said.
    It’s clear he doesn’t possess the speed of Devin Hester, who opened the game with a 45-yard kickoff return, but he broke attempted arm tackles by Frank Beltre and Jarius Wynn and was impressive. Ford isn’t ready to be a major contributor on teams like Allen became last season, though. Not yet anyway.
    “Special teams is where it’s at because we have two great running backs in Matt Forte and Bush, so I’ve just got to find my niche somewhere else,” Ford said.
    Perhaps he’ll be worked in more but if Allen isn’t expected to miss too much time, it might be hard for him to be nudged aside. In the meantime, Ford is learning what he can from Hester.
    “Watching a great returner like that I can just feed off his energy because the first return he had he busted it,” he said. “I just have to match that intensity. If you just watch him, great players do great things at all times. Even at practice, he’s at a high level, high speed, he is always working hard and always doing things great and it just pushes me to try to be at that level too.”
    Ford didn’t get involved in the return game until his final season at LSU as he was behind some pretty talented returners – Patrick Peterson and Morris Claiborne, cornerbacks drafted in the first round by the Cardinals and Cowboys, respectively.
    If Ford, who only had 28 yards on 15 carries, can prove to DeCamillis that he can be a multi-phase player on special teams, he might have a shot. He also has to show he’s picking up the blocking schemes because as Ford said, “If you can’t block, you can’t play.”
    “A lot of times, college guys, aren’t really exposed to a lot of protections in college if they don’t have a very sophisticated passing scheme,” running backs coach Skip Peete said. “They may not use a variety of protections. We do that here. For young guys, they really have to hit it hard and completely understand what the pass scheme is as well as the protections. It seems like running is the most important thing but I think at this level, if you watch over the last eight to 10 years, you’ve got to be able to protect as a running back. If you can’t pick up the blitz, it doesn’t seem like there is a position for you to play.”

4. Remember all that talk about spreading the ball around? Brandon Marshall was the Bears’ one-dimensional passing game last season and he was just that again Thursday night. Jay Cutler threw five passes and Marshall was the intended target on all of them. Marc Trestman blamed a short field for preventing the offense from mixing it up a little.
    “You know you always want to do that,” he said. “The field position, we’re on a short field, and we were limited to some of the plays we wanted to call in the first 15 (script) and we really limited ourselves. We knew going in that if we had as many red-zone opportunities that we had, we were going to have to run the ball because we didn’t go in there with a normal number of plays necessary that we would have used, or would have wanted to use in a preseason game, so we were left to third-down runs and doing other things to try to split a defense without exposing or using much of our red-zone offense.
    “As I look back, you always want to score touchdowns there and we tried to do it, but we really didn’t do it with a full complement of plays.”
    Starting tight end Martellus Bennett has not been targeted with a pass in two games now. He did look as physical as advertised in the running game, though.
    “We certainly would like to and he would tell you that he was certainly involved in the early play calls,” Trestman said. “Just situationally, things change so dramatically because of the field position. We had a couple calls to him that we wound up going to other receivers. So at the end of the day, we always want to be involved but I don’t know that any of this passing game wise is any indication of the direction that hopefully we are going. We don’t want to be a one-dimensional team, but Brandon hasn’t had much practice time either and it was good to see him go out and have an opportunity to make some plays and to see that he was physically ready to do that was very encouraging.”
    Cutler also doesn’t seem concerned about integrating Bennett into the passing game. It will be interesting to see if Bennett becomes more involved as a pass blocker on the right side to help the rookies if they remain in place.
    “There’s plenty of time,” Cutler said. “I think we have a good idea of what he can do through practice. This next preseason game, hopefully we get him going a little bit too. We’re calling plays off of defenses, not for a specific player involved.”

5. Marc Trestman praised the play of the special teams unit after the game and at or near the top of the list has to be linebacker J.T. Thomas, who made a terrific move at the line of scrimmage to come free for a blocked punt. Talk about a fine way to celebrate his 25th birthday.
    Thomas was also at the point of attack on some coverage plays. But he wasn’t running with the starters on any of the special teams units. Maybe this will prompt Joe DeCamillis to take a closer look at the reserve linebacker next week. Thomas made six tackles on special teams last season in 16 games and he had one forced fumble. But Lovie Smith and Bob Babich had next to no success developing draft picks at the position. Thomas whiffed on an opportunity to stuff San Diego running back Michael Hill in the backfield during the third quarter.

6. After losing Matt Blanchard to the injury it made it difficult for the Bears to evaluate some of the young wide receivers because they were reluctant to call any pass plays for Josh McCown at that point. That meant a much different game for rookie seventh-round pick Marquess Wilson, who had 82 yards on four catches last week.
    It’s worth noting Wilson was running on second units on special teams and that is where he will need to make a mark to improve his chances of sticking around.
    “We put a lot of stock in how guys perform in the game,” wide receivers coach Mike Groh said earlier this week. “This is a player that has done a good job over the last 10 days or so and made steady improvement and has earned the opportunity to get more playing time.”
    Wilson is rail thin, listed at 6-foot-4, 184 pounds, and might struggle to be a front-line player on special teams. But he’s getting the job done as a receiver.
    “He’s not imposing physically, he’s not overly strong and he’s underdeveloped,” Groh said. “A lot of that has to do with his age (20), him being a very young player. But he’s hard to get a handle on. They don’t get clean shots on him because he can really stick his foot in the ground and drop his weight and he’s got very good flexibility. I don’t have a lot of concern. If we were asking him to block at the point of attack, I’d have a lot of concern. Based on what we’re asking him to do, I think he is strong enough.”

7. Is there a spot for a traditional fullback on this roster? ESPN’s cameras caught Marc Trestman congratulating Tony Fiammetta as he came off the field following Matt Forte’s three-yard touchdown run. He had a nice block on strong safety Marcus Gilchrist on the play -- and Fiammetta was involved with the starters which is the first good sign.
    The Bears looked to be heading to the season without a true fullback until Evan Rodriguez’s release in June. That is when Fiammetta was signed and he’s been playing catch-up with the offense. He dropped a pass in the flat from Josh McCown later in the game -- and the West Coast offense requires the fullback to make plays in the passing game -- but it’s clear he’s getting a good look at this point.

8. Undrafted rookie cornerbacks C.J. Wilson and Demontre Hurst are pushing for a spot (or spots) on the 53-man roster. Wilson made two tackles -- one in the open field -- and Hurst was credited with two stops on special teams.
    Hurst is an instinctive player who has been running with the second team defense as the nickel back. Wilson has been timed at 4.33 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He needs to prove he can be a steady tackler and an aggressive performer.
    “I need to show them that I can be more aggressive and more physical,” Wilson said. “That is one of the parts I was lacking when I was in college. Just being around Peanut (Tillman), who is one of the best in the game at being physical, he is teaching me a lot right now and he is showing me things I didn’t know before. I am getting better with that.”

9. Special teams coordinator Joe DeCamillis used five players as four-phase starters on special teams: linebackers Blake Costanzo and Khaseem Greene, safeties Anthony Walters and Craig Steltz and wide receiver Eric Weems. Cornerbacks Sherrick McManis and Zack Bowman and linebacker Jon Bostic started on three phases.
    It’s worth noting that tight end Fendi Onobun was with the starters on the punt team and punt return team, a closer look for a guy battling for a roster spot. Still no sign of safety Brandon Hardin, the third-round pick from last year.
    10. Fifteen NFL teams were represented with scouts at the game. Baltimore, Cleveland, Dallas, Detroit, Green Bay, Houston, Kansas City, Miami, Minnesota, New Orleans, Oakland, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Tampa Bay and Washington were in attendance. The Ravens, Browns, Cowboys, Lions, Vikings, Saints, Steelers and Redskins all had a scout in Carolina for the game last week. The Bengals, who the Bears play in Week 1, have yet to attend a game. There were three CFL teams at the game: Montreal, Saskatchewan and Toronto.

10 a. Long snapper Pat Mannelly was featured on the cover of the Gameday magazine. It is the first time in 16 seasons he has been featured. He is the longest-tenured player in franchise history. “It’s about time,” Mannelly joked.

10 b. Someone in the Chargers press conference room asked San Diego quarterback Philip Rivers if he still gets up for playing Jay Cutler. They had a good little feud going when Cutler was an AFC West rival with the Broncos.
    “No, that’s a dead topic, for both of us I would imagine,” Rivers said. “He looked good. They got some decent things going. There’s nothing there.”

10 c. Former Bears safety Mike Brown recently took the plunge into the Twitter universe. He liked what he saw from free safety Chris Conte, who had an interception.
    “Chris, we have never met, but you got it, never forget what (OG[Gil Byrd] taught u), love watching u play!” Brown wrote via his account @21mb30.

10 d. Marc Trestman on Generation WHY, not Generation Y: “I think every professional player needs to know why we are doing things. We’re not going to answer them ‘because that’s the way we do it.’ We’re going to try, they expect to know why and I think that is part, I think we are dealing with Generation Why. W-H-Y. We really are. I think a professional player needs to have those answers so whether it’s Jay and the quarterbacks asking questions or anybody we try to give them an explanation that’s built on common sense and in the best interest of the team.”

10 e. It doesn’t look like the competition at punter is serious any more. Why is that? Adam Podlesh was the holder for all seven kicks by Robbie Gould in the game. If the Bears were serious about pushing him with Tress Way -- and potentially sticking with Way -- they would want to work him more as a holder. Plus, Podlesh has outperformed the undrafted rookie from Oklahoma in the games.

10 f. You got a real sense for the athletic ability of defensive end Chauncey Washington on Michael Ford’s 100-yard kickoff return. The replay shows Washington -- 6-foot-4, 265 pounds -- nearly caught up to Ford racing downfield to make a block. Washington has looked unrefined in game action, though.

10 g. The Bears will play next on Friday, Aug. 23, at Oakland. It will be the first preseason game there for the Bears since 1977. That meeting 36 years ago was the beginning of a semi-regular series between the teams in preseason that extended past the Raiders’ move to Los Angeles. The Bears and Raiders played eight times in preseason between 1977 and 1991.

bmbiggs@tribune.com
    Twitter @BradBiggs
    Copyright © 2013 Chicago Tribune Company, LLC
  2. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    1) more then the loss of Blanchard, who apparently has been given high praise by the team, Biggs makes a good point, they need to get another one in quick, and probably not a young guy. Btw, McCown looked like garbage last night, he rarely threw a dart that was on target it was either high or behind the target. And the fact that he couldn't move the ball 20 30-40 yards against that 2nd team D is embarassing.

2) “For the few throws that we had, I felt the two of them played very well from my perspective. I could be wrong, I’ll have a better look at it tomorrow. But Jordan Mills has deserved an opportunity to work. We’ll evaluate it as I said last week. We haven’t made any decisions on the five, this was the week to move people around with going into the third game next week. We did that and I will evaluate and see where we are." Got to assume that the competition is still open, but there were two clear leaders right now, and they'll get their shot next week in Oak, who apparnetly has a better DL then SD(not that it would be difficult to do).

3) It’s clear he doesn’t possess the speed of Devin Hester, who opened the game with a 45-yard kickoff return, but he broke attempted arm tackles by Frank Beltre and Jarius Wynn and was impressive. Ford isn’t ready to be a major contributor on teams like Allen became last season, though. Not yet anyway. I know people love them some Ford, but if Allen is healthy it's his job folks, said it last year in pre season and I said it this year, Allen is a solid 3rd down change of pace back w/home run ability and he's also now looked at as a 4 phase ST'r. that's hard to replace.

4) i'm not even going to read this one. Cutler was a schmo last night and I hope I never see that kind of stupidity from a chicago qb again.

5) I cannot believe, myself included, no one is talking about JT Thomas, ya he wiffed on that tackle in the backfield...but he was IN the backfield to make the play, so now it's just a matter of getting him to learn to tackle, he made a few nice ST's plays including that near flawless blocked punt.

6) Keep an eye on this, MWilson has some real potential, but to make a game day roster he's got to be a legit ST contributor.

7) But I thought Forte doesn't run well behind a FB? And where is the mighty mighty Unga? I hope Fia does make the team, he looks solid. And I don't think he need to do much more then block b/c there are so many other options.

8) It's just nice to see young players actually developing and looking like they could actually do something. Lovie and his staff was just laughable at this, in 2 years under Emery and 1 year under Trestman that already seems to be reversing.

9) A lot of chatter about the 4 phase guys, and how they stand a better chance of making the team then others. It appears Weems is a probable lock and it hurts me to type that. But Costanzo is apparently the ST's Captain and has looked good doing it. I'm glad a guy like that is on the team. Allen, when healthy, is also in that lineup.

10) Mannelly is awesome, if any of you don't listen to 670 w/ZZ...I think it's tues or weds he hosts w/Mannelly and another random Bear. It's awesome I highly suggest it. PM has himself a future in broadcasting if he wants it.
    Really? Both guys are in their 30's now, aren't in the same div and haven't been for awhile, what a stupid question
    That's some huge praise for Conte coming from Mike Brown. And Conte does look solid
    Emery/Trestman...actual professionals in a professional business it's crazy to think of how long we dealt w/the asshats of JA and Lovie and their unprofessional demeanour.
    A lot of talk early was that the K/P would have competion, but they both have outplayed their competition from an early go. I'm not a huge fan of Podlesh, but if Wey cannot get it done then might as well stick w/what you got. Change for the sake of change does nothing if there is no potential for improvement, anymore the standing pat for the sake of standing pat b/c you fear there is no chance for improvement.
    Again young potential guys, they don't all have to make contriubtions day one, especially mid/late round picks but the potential to improve seems much higher now.
    weak sauce ending Biggs!
  3. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen Veteran

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    I told you he was in no way being looked at as the backup QB.
  4. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    *Facepalm* it was never about what WOULD but what SHOULD happen. Did you watch the abortion that was McCown's attempt to move the team last night? Really think a rookie or young player couldn't do that bad? McCown as AWFUL.

btw, I really want this to be about the game, keep your hardon of a worthless no nothing qb to the camp new weds thread please.
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  5. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Trestman said he ran primarily runs because he could not afford for McCown to go down. He doesn't have many options out there versed in his style of offense. I was surprised by the number of runs we had last night, until I read his comment. It sounds like they have been planning to practice squad Blanchard again this season and go with a #2 in McCown and no 3rd string QB. I actually don't like that idea. I'd rather have the 3rd QB on the roster and on the sideline instead of on the PS.

This isn't specifically about McCown. It's about knowing how to play in the NFL vs never playing the NFL. Who was Biggs thinking would be the frontrunner that we brought in? Edwards, because he's got 33 starts under his belt.

Whatever, man. Keep your last comment to yourself. What you think should happen isn't the way the rest of the NFL thinks.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    I remember last year, several of us were high on JT Thomas. Glad he's still showing it.
    Really liked the right side of the line last night, but gotta remember who they were playing against. BUT, Trestman did obviously use them as much as he could, as indicated by pulling Long on a running play, just to see how he would fare.

Ric, it's time, like I predicted(maybe a week ago): Jon Kitna had a perfect quarterback rating in 2008, in the preseason. The preseason doesn't mean ****, especially for a quarterback. In case anyone's wondering, the Lions were pretty bad in 2008.

Seeing as running backs do what they do, Michael Bush is gonna finally be utilized properly this year. I'm def. higher on him than Alshon.
  7. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    "Whatever, man. Keep your last comment to yourself. What you think should happen isn't the way the rest of the NFL thinks."

Again, this is proven false in the camp weds thread keep thinking this is 1960's NFL and not 2013. Anyways if you cannot honestly find something better to talk about then the backup qb, then lets talk about his play...were you really impressed w/Mc's whopping 3.5 ypc? McCown actually ran for more then he threw....Jeezus seriously? He ran for 4.0 yards and threw for 3.5...lol Ya there's youre "vet backup" your "quality starter" if Cutler goes down. Keep running w/that guy and see how far it gets you.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    It's time for what? Who's talking about win/loss records in the pre season? It's about how they execute. Long and Mills actually executed well, does that mean they will in reg season when teams will stunt and try and disguise what they will do, I think they'll both struggle w/that but it's better then Webb getting beat man up.

Cutthead looked like he did last year, like he was unwilling to look at anyone other then Marshal to throw to.

Forte looked solid, running in and out. Bush looked solid.

Bostic/Greene came back down to earth a little, both had a few good plays and a few bad ones.

The other young players looked like they MIGHT develop into something. You really don't think any of the above said something?
  9. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    Ric, I agree that McCown is NOT the guy we want back there, but here's some perspective from the worst team of all time's preseason stats, game by game(actually, I'll just go off of the backup, Dan Orlovsky's stats):

Week 1:

8/11 80 yards 0 tds 0 ints

Week 2:

11/22 137 yards 0 tds 0 ints

Week 3:

13/20 167 yards 1 td 1 int

Week 4:

12/21 114 yards 1 td 0 int

By your standard of McCown's play last night, this would be the ideal guy to have as the backup.
  10. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    You haven't proven anything false in the Weds thread. What happens there is you bring up some QB, I bring up why you are wrong, and then you move on to a different player.

Trestman ran the ball a lot with McCown. I don't know why he did that early, but it makes sense why he did it late game. It's because our backup offensive line is really bad. You complain that Blanchard didn't have time, but I saw McCown running around behind the line of scrimmage too. I'd have liked to see more completed passes, but I saw very conservative play calling for passing opportunities. There were a few drops, and last week Onobun dropped a real nice pass in the end zone from McCown.

Look if Trestman had gone with some other vet QB, like Trent Edwards, and that guy knew the playbook like McCown does right now, I'd be all for that guy being the #2 like I am with McCown. Because I would not be concerned with him freezing up during a game and bouncing into his center during a critical play. But that's not what we have. McCown has a good relationship with Cutler, and Cutler is not the easiest of guys to be friendly with. He's got a good rapport with the team, and apparently has made enough of an impression on Trestman.

What cracks me up is I've read you be negative about Kyle Long for not having experience, yet you'd be comfortable with our backup QB having none.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    seriously are you McCown mommy or girlfriend? This is actualy more ignorant then the KO/Rex threads keep your crappy qb love to yourself, it's getting creepy.

and ya you are getting owned in that other thread, btw this is what I was referring to:

Texans - Schaub, Yates - vet qb, young backup
    Bengals - Dalton, Johnson - young qb, vet backup
    Packers - Rodgers, Harrell - vet qb, young backup
    Vikings - Ponder, Cassel - vet qb, vet backup
    Ravens - Flacco, Taylor - vet qb, young backup
    Colts - Luck, Hasselbeck - young qb, vet backup
    Seahawks - Wilson, Jackson - young qb, vet backup
    Redskins - Griffin III, Cousins, Grossman - young qb, young backup, vet third
    Broncos - Manning, Osweiler - Vet qb, young backup
    49ers - Kaepernick, McCoy - young qb, vet backup
    Falcons - Ryan, Davis - vet qb, young backup
    Patriots - Brady, Mallett, Tebow - Vet qb, young backup, tim tebow.
  12. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    Any more lists of QBs you'd like to copy and paste from other posters? Expand the quote to see my comments on that list.

No team on that list is going with a player at the #2 position this year that isn't a vet, or does not have at year with the current coaching staff as the #3 QB the year before except for the Redskins. The Redskins made Kirk Cousins, their 4th round pick in 2012, their #2 QB right off the bat. So there you go. They did carry a vet in Grossman to back him up. They did not go sans emergency QB like you advocated with cutting JM and just going with MB.

Look, I remember when Green Bay drafted both Brohm and Flynn in one year to be their #2 and #3 QBs, but they got it wrong and made Brohm the #2 initially. I know that New England made Brian Hoyer was the #2 QB a few years back with very little experience to judge him from. You know what though? Those teams have stability at the position with the best QB's in the league. We don't. We have a historically bad offensive line and a QB that usually misses a game or two every year if not more.

We also have an entirely new coaching staff on the offensive side of the ball. Maybe Tice left some notes in the Kromer's desk saying to give Blanchard a shot at the #2, but I don't think he would listen.

And I would ask if you are Blanchard's mommy or girlfriend right back at you, but that would be tacky.
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    Yates was a ROOKIE that year, in your backward ass theory the team should have cut his ass, throw him on the PS squad and got a "vet backup" that can run a Offense. He also, THAT YEAR succeeded w/ZERO NFL experience...hell he didn't even have #2 reps in camp, pre season or reg seasn, he is the PERFECT example of why you don't have "vet backups".
  14. weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +378 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    96ß
    He was the #3 emergency QB. He was not made the #2 in preseason. The only reason he even got any snaps was Schaub and Leinart getting hurt. I'm not against rookies. I'm not against UDFA's. I'm against them being the only other quarterback on the roster besides the starter if they have zero experience.

Houston did exactly what you should do with a rookie QB. Have someone in front of them who has experience. They were very fortunate that Yates is a good player when they turned to him in an emergency.
  15. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß

But they didn't know what they would have in Dan at that time it's better to go w/the unknown then the known to be bad....and sadly those #'s are better then McCowns last night.

McCown is a known bad, end of discussion, there is no theory you can prove that makes McCown to be more then that, bad. So what if Haine or Blanchard end up being bad, at least their was a chance of good. McCown there is no chance of good, b/c he is bad. Saying that McCown knows how to play in the NFL, and is still bad, just is further proof that he's even worse then I give him credit for. Hey Webb is experienced in the NFL, should we start him over Mills? Mills has no experience and Webb has been a starter, should Webb be the starter even though he's a known poor quality? No. Experience means nothing if you don't have the talent and/or mentality to play.
  16. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +4,457 / 8 / -6
    ßearz ßuckz:
    758ß
    Im not too concerned that BMarsh was the primary target. It was only 5 passes, and it just so happened Marsh was the best option on them. Besides, after that first series, the offense seemed to click and move down the field and put up a few TDs.

JT Thomas looks like he should be able to make the team as a Special teamer, but not convinced he is Defense material.

Overall, the team displayed a lot of talent across the board, but they just seemed raw, they need some more time to get their game sharpened and focused, but there is definitely a lot of talent on this team. Hopefully, Mills and Long can be the answer on the right side of the OL.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    Yep young raw talent is all over the field. It's just a matter of how quickly they can adapt to the reg season....and this schedule is not really condusive to it.
  18. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß
    Um, no. I'm not buying into your argument at all here. I'm stating that you are overreacting to McCown's play last night, when it's been obvious for years that the preseason doesn't mean ANYTHING. Don't bring up the records again, because when I followed that up with stats, you changed the course of your argument to say something similar to "Well, we KNOW he's bad, they didn't know Orlovsky was bad!" No we don't.

We know he's not gonna be great, but what I'm saying is, preseason stats and strategies can be deceiving, and Bears fans should quit biting into every soundbite related to preseason, as it's in very few ways a predictor of season success, be it for the whole team, or down to individual players.
  19. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,986 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,001ß
    mccown is a career sub 60% comp qb, and barely a 6ypa and a guy that throws more picks then td's, not to mention fumbles. Unless you can tell me w/a straight face that you want your "vet experienced backup" to have statistically HORRIBLE qb #'s then my statement stands, regardless of his awful performance last night...and it was awful last night, he was throwing high or behind his targets all night.
  20. Henry Burris

Henry Burris Head Coach

Ratings:
    +2,477 / 8 / -10
    ßearz ßuckz:
    413ß

Then tell us all what Emery should do to fix this situation, please. If Webb is bad enough to not deserve a job, but McCown is, something tells me you're contradictory in your belief that Emery is doing right.