Brad Biggs' 10 thoughts after Bears-Chargers game

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by riczaj01, Aug 16, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5 / -4
    I've already said it Henry, multiple times. And I've hardly 100% backed everything Emery has done, unless your forgetting that I bagged his Shea and Long pick as horrid reaches(which they were). I wanted Izzy back(just not willing to throw hissy's about it) and also wanted him to give keep Carimi to allow him to start at G(unconfirmed stories are saying that's why Carimi stayed away btw so might not have been an Emery issue, but no one knew that at the time).

So not sure how i'm coming off as contridictory. Emery can do some things right and get others wrong, it doesn't have to be all or nothing.

I've said Webb will likely be retaind, ONLY if they cannot find someone that can play LT. I have said that McCown is a dead beat and should have never been signed, and if the team likes Blanchard they should just go w/him...and if not they should get a young qb in that they do like(remember i was 100% about the team moving back and getting an extra pick and getting a qb) not sure how that is contridictory
  2. weneedmorelinemen

weneedmorelinemen

Ratings:
    +265 / 0 / -0
    That depends on how you have structured your offense. If the RT is the player that is calling the plays in the huddle, making the line adjustments before the snap, calling audibles, and is the key point by which the entire offense goes through, then yes, I would want an experienced RT at the position, or at least an experienced RT to back him up. That way, your offense can still function.

But not Webb. Never Webb.

BTW, that whole bit about "So what if Haine or Blanchard end up being bad, at least their was a chance of good." is absolutely hilarious. I know I said I don't want to talk about this stuff anymore, but man, that is outright good stuff right there.
  3. yttocs

yttocs

Ratings:
    +39 / 0 / -0

So long is a horrid pick without ever seeing him play in the reg. Season? You said were, for both or only one? Just asking
  4. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

Ratings:
    +1,943 / 8 / -2
    I already forgot about the point I was making. If i think of it again, I'll come back to it. I know you were one of the dissenters of the McClellan pick, cause I was in ranks with ya. Same thing with Long, although I (am proud to admit it now, ask me again in a few weeks lol) was one of the few dissenters who LOVED the Long pick (I know everyone remembers the meltdown this board was having after that one), so I'm not disputing anything like that.

I also largely agree with you that we SHOULD have drafted a qb in this past draft. Where I'm differing from you is that, it's too late to get a qb with potential at that spot, and what if, like Tom Brady (Backstory: Bill Belichick loved Tom Brady enough to keep 4 qb's on the roster, with him being the 4th, just so he could get a year under his belt before getting the backup job. This per that ESPN series), they like what they have in Blanchard, but McCown's simply better suited to run the offense this season? It's entirely possible they're wanting to do it that way.
  5. Blue Horse-shoe

Blue Horse-shoe

Ratings:
    +70 / 0 / -0
    Nice argument fellas . Plain old fact is - if Cutty goes down we're #$%^& . Doesn't matter who they have in there . And I hear they're gonna sign Jordan Palmer . If THIS is the best of whats available out there then ...........
    • Like Like x 1
  6. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5 / -4
    BHS, no doubt, and all the more reason why you don't put cap into a vet backup.
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +856 / 1 / -0
    Jordan Palmer is a camp arm/body, nothing more. He won't sniff the final roster so chill out everyone.
  8. soulman

soulman

Ratings:
    +848 / 0 / -0
    The punt block was a big play but when D J Williams returns will there be a spot for Thomas? Briggs, Greene, Bostic, Costanzo, Anderson, and Williams makes 6 so will they keep a 7th? He didn't help himself with that whiff in the backfield either but I'd sure like to find a way to keep him around this year.

I love the way Michael Bush runs. He's an excellent North/South runner and he has the power to get two yards when there's nowhere to run, not even a small hole, or he can turn two yards into four o five just with his power. Even when there's a scrum of tacklers around him he's still moving the pile. He's as good compliment for Forte as you could ever wish for.

Incidentally, I thought Forte showed more power and more speed than he has in the past. He's not running as straight up when he meets contact as he has in the past and it took a very fast DB to chase him down on the long run.
  9. soulman

soulman

Ratings:
    +848 / 0 / -0
    Ric's criteria often changes to suit his argument which is why this get to be a circular one. No matter what facts are presented to counter his position it's still gonna be "don't confuse me with facts, my minds made up". So it has no end and never will. I've just stopped even debating it with him.

Last year it was the $3.5 mil we spent on Campbell, but McCown's comes cheap so it can't be about the $$$ it has to be about something else and that something else is that he's not an NFL caliber QB despite the fact that he's played in over 50 NFL games and started 33 of them. He's no prize but he's a steady game manager type as you've pointed out. But to some of these guys the grass is always greener. The trouble is it's always somebody else's lawn they're looking at and never there own.

It's run what ya' brung and McCown is what we brung so why are Ric and others even debating this? There are no more rabbits in that hat the Emery can pull out to replace McCown with and Trestman seems content enough with him as a #2. He's no Cutler but he's smart enough not to make some of the throws Cutler makes too. He can win some games if he's called on and he has but if we lose Cutler this seasons over and we all know that.

Ric doesn't think much of Cutler either though. Can you tell? LOL[/quote]
  10. riczaj01

riczaj01

Ratings:
    +1,850 / 5 / -4
    Last year was the same criteria + 3.5mil. Vet qb's are a total and complete waste of cap and are proven to be unworthy of playing in the NFL, not even you can debate that. But then again you thought Campbell was a great backup....lol how'd that work out for ya again? Vet qb's are the biggest myth in the NFL(unless you have starting rookie then I get it, b/c chances are you didn't draft two) and the point is proven time and again every year you see how absolutely worthless vet backups are, and time and again people are happy their teams go back to that same empty well.

Should I think to much of Cutler? Does the team think to much of Cutler? For all their talk, it wouldn't have been impossible for them to extend him this year, but they didn't. Reality is I have a very even keel approach to Cutler, right now he's a upgrade over what we've recently had...but if you're looking for small hurdles to jump, well congratulations he's fit the bill. He's still only shown to be above average, and you don't give up 2 1sts and a player and a mid round pick for average. And, again don't give me the OL, WR's, HC/OC, it's his decisions that F it up, and that dates back to Denver when he was still throwing into double and triple coverage.
    Cutler has a great chance to show that his physical tools are enough to overcome his mental lapses and get a huge payday. I've often said I think he will do that and get a huge payday...so again tell me how I don't think much of Cutler?

Per usual your takes on others(horrible)is a mirror opposite of your normal take on player and the game(pretty damn solid). Stick to what your good at, and it's not breaking down other msg board posters. Hey while we're at it tell me again how the DL isn't going to be any good b/c we didn't bring back Izzy or how the D is going to suffer b/c there is no BU....I need a good laugh.
  11. MPbears68

MPbears68

Ratings:
    +856 / 1 / -0
    I think it's fair to say that the LB corps is better/deeper this year without Urlacher thanks to two good fa vet pickups and two promising draft picks. I didn't agree with Emery's decision at first (and I certainly don't think the Bears handled the PR very well for a HOF face of the franchise type player), but the rest of the NFL agreed that it was the right call to not overpay for him, on his last legs so to speak as he was. I had hoped BU could mentor along a rookie and still be solid but I was proved wrong by all 32 teams. Sucks, but that knee injury collision with Wright late in a meaningless game two years ago likely cut short BU's productive career by 2-3 years.

I hope we don't end up regretting letting Izzy walk for under a million bucks. He was a versatile productive vet with a great ethic and, although our DL looks great at the top, we are only one injury away (to Woot for example who has a history of not staying healthy) from being able to really use a guy like Izz. We all know that Shea isn't truly a 3rd DE since he can't defend the run for shit as a 3pt stance player.

I'm sick of the backup QB debate. Due to a variety of draft factors I won't repeat (lack of picks, shitty draft class for QBs, other needs), the only young "developmental" QB we have is Blanchard. And he's now hurt and out for several weeks in all likelihood. We have no other YOUNG choices. McCown for all his flaws is a good economical compromise as a vet 2nd stringer, at least until MB can get back and impress. As I've said before, it doesn't really matter all that much who's where on the depth chart behind Cut. At best, we would hope that the backup could come in for a game or two and "game manage" to eke out a win or two. If Jay goes down for any length of time, kiss the season goodbye no matter who takes over. I wish we had a Kap waiting in the wings, but we don't. Neither of them are.
  12. soulman

soulman

Ratings:
    +848 / 0 / -0
    Blah, blah, blah, Ric. It's no longer a debate just a circular argument that gets nowhere and those are no fun at all. Count me out. You see it your way, I see it mine and it's clear that's NOT gonna change so I'm gonna let it be.

Even your interpretations of the meanings behind my posts are inaccurate. You don't get them because you're filtering it through your way of looking at things, not mine. Others "get it" but you seldom do. As for what I'm good at I really don't know what that is but when I see hollow logic I call it out for what it is. If you see that as a personal attack then I'm sorry. It's not. I don't dislike YOU personally at all, you know that, but I can't agree with your illogical ideas about certain things and those I will attack.

Cheers.