Brad Biggs: "Bears look to the future at center" Says club must go after a center.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jan 24, 2014.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,646 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,145ß
    "But the club cannot afford to ignore a couple of areas on offense, one of them being center."

[​IMG]
    Center Weston Richburg, pictured during the April 20 spring game, was named to the 75-player preseason watch list
    for the Outland Trophy as the nation's top interior lineman. Rich Abrahamson/The Coloradoan

2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,646 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,145ß
    Richburg is projected to go in the 3rd round.
  3. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,259 / 9 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,428ß
    I could easily see them going w/a C or G(depending on if they want Slauson to play C), TE and or QB in the 3-6th, maybe even WR or RB in the 6th depending on how the draft goes. The O is not perfect, far from it, and FA will be used to shore up the D as much as the draft will.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    On this I agree fully, our d sucks and needs major help, we know this and it's true. We cannot forget how we got into that 5 year o line debacle up to this season. I like looking center from 2nd-6th and if and when we see value at a given spot, pull the trigger. We cannot do what ja did and assume since it was good last year it can be ignored. Injuries and age happen and we have to be prepared because a bad line would mean a bad offense and no matter what we do there's no way Tucker's boys are going to keep us in games.

Garza is old and bad.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. short faced bear

short faced bear Assistant Head Coach DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +1,228 / 0 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    145ß
    Well if we draft a center (3rd round) or later thats fine then. Boggs will be gone as he's too undersized to be a OG. I think they'll just keep Boggs, dump Garza and bring in some competition as Kromer has a track record for developing OC's.
  6. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Frankly, I've been watching for a new Center in the draft since a year or two before Kreutz left. As much work as our Defense needs, we need a new Center with some "butt" (as my old football coach used to say). I would love Swanson, but I would be just fine with the Richburg kid in the 3rd. Given the derth of talent in this draft, I would not be surprised if he is still there for us in the 3rd, but any later would be a stretch.
  7. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +289 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    27ß
    Center is a tough position for a rookie to start and play well, butwe must get the future on the roster.

Slauson was signed rather quickly so maybe they have vision of him taking over.

Kromer likes the center of the line to be talented and strong. I think Slauson would make a great center.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. jackiejokeman

jackiejokeman Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +215 / 2 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    513ß
    Center can take a back seat to a DEFENSE ranked 31fst. Fuck that shit up front.

We can go Center when we have drafted or FA a DEFENSIVE LINE.

All of that other shit is a PIPE DREAM about WR-RB-TE-OL-QB.

Are you guys watching the same BEARS team as me ?

THE FUCKING DEFENSE FLAT OUT STONE OUT WENT AWAY.

Theres no fuckin way in HELL you go from 5th against the RUN to 31frst ...

in ONE season.

Theres some shit going on here ... we dont know about it.

Therein lies the mystery.
  9. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    Need a new center for sure, but we also need a defense. FA is going to tell us so much. However as it currently stands, I wouldn't take a center before 4th round. Need DT, Safety, DE and CB before center imo
    • Like Like x 1
  10. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    What do you think of Bryan Stork (FSU)? I've seen some of his film (youtube clips) and he looks pretty good to me. And I think he will be available in the 3rd round.
  11. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +482 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    92ß
    Beat me to it and as someone who watched all the FSU games he's the best center prospect to come out in a while. Konz and Frederick are no comparison IMO.
  12. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    I was watching some of the replays of the FSU/Fla game on youtube and he seems to need work on recognizing blitzes. A couple of times he let a rusher come free straight into the backfield. Not trying to run him down, just an observation.
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,646 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,145ß
    I think Ric is correct in that we won't draft all defense. If we do draft a guy for offense, then certainly we would look at drafting a center. Everyone understands that rebuilding the defense is most important this off-season, but that isn't mutually exclusive to adding a center on offense. Without a solid offensive line this upcoming season, we'll just revert back to the bad offense that we've experienced in the past. All the fancy weapons on offense depend upon blocking. Garza is the weak link that must be replaced. He probably should have been replaced a few years ago.

Hey, we all have seen how damaging it can be when a player completely drops off the map due to age (Peppers is just one example). Let's not lose a season due to failure to replace the old man on the OL. The beauty of this is that you don't need to spend a first round pick, to get a really solid center. Some here think Slauson will be moved to center. I'm a-OK with that move, but then we need to pick up a solid guy to take Slauson's place at LG. I don't see that guy on our current roster.
    • Like Like x 3
  14. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    There is NO way we draft ALL picks on defense. Teams just don't do that. A lot is going to depend on FA and who is staying/leaving.

Now, if Emery drafts an offensive player in the first round, well that would just be really bizarre. And completely unnecessary.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Ditto, word for word.
  16. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

Ratings:
    +316 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    Slauson is a LG, and will stay an LG. I can see TE and C coming up for us in the draft.
  17. 4dabers

Ratings:
    +747 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    89ß
    Grizz and Huckster, from what I've been reading, I think that there are more than a couple scouts at the Senior Bowl that would disagree with you based on what they have seen in Mobile this week. That said, there is plenty of tape to watch on this guy and a week in Mobile does not constitute the final say on him. Like I said, I've been watching for a new Center for several years now; after last years draft when we went without taking one, I started researching guys for the 2014 draft. I can say that I liked the reporting I saw about Stork, and he was right up there with Swanson (at that time), along with this Rickberg kid and Gabe Ikard from Oklahoma. If I recall, Stork was a strong second after Swanson going into the 2013 season. However, I've read some reports that he has been pushed around quite a bit this week. I have no idea where he stands, but I DO have a strong opinion about Centers, and if we're going to take one, I want a good one, not a multi-year project. I have NOT seen him play, but I will certainly be watching him in the game today based on the opinion of both of you.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

Ratings:
    +218 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I'm going to continue living in fantasy land and hoping that Fendi can get it together. By training camp, he will have a year of working on whatever he is working on (catching the ball would be nice) and will turn out OK.

I keep on thinking about the TE on the Broncos (Julius Thomas); similar story to Onobun and he exploded this year at his position.

I know there is probably a less than 2% chance Fendi can get it together but let me just believe it can happen...
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    174ß
    4dabers - Search the player's name on youtube. Some of these guys have a lot of footage about them. Not the same as watching on a good DVR where you can stop and replay in slo-mo. But better than nothing.
  20. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -1
    ßearz ßuckz:
    61ß
    • Useful Useful x 1