Brad Biggs: "Bears look to the future at center" Says club must go after a center.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jan 24, 2014.

1. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    512ß
    Please Register or Log in to Remove this Advertisement!
    Beat me to it and as someone who watched all the FSU games he's the best center prospect to come out in a while. Konz and Frederick are no comparison IMO.

2. dachuckster

dachuckster Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,165ß
    I was watching some of the replays of the FSU/Fla game on youtube and he seems to need work on recognizing blitzes. A couple of times he let a rusher come free straight into the backfield. Not trying to run him down, just an observation.

3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Assistant Head Coach
    SuperFan DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    5,120ß
    I think Ric is correct in that we won't draft all defense. If we do draft a guy for offense, then certainly we would look at drafting a center. Everyone understands that rebuilding the defense is most important this off-season, but that isn't mutually exclusive to adding a center on offense. Without a solid offensive line this upcoming season, we'll just revert back to the bad offense that we've experienced in the past. All the fancy weapons on offense depend upon blocking. Garza is the weak link that must be replaced. He probably should have been replaced a few years ago.

Hey, we all have seen how damaging it can be when a player completely drops off the map due to age (Peppers is just one example). Let's not lose a season due to failure to replace the old man on the OL. The beauty of this is that you don't need to spend a first round pick, to get a really solid center. Some here think Slauson will be moved to center. I'm a-OK with that move, but then we need to pick up a solid guy to take Slauson's place at LG. I don't see that guy on our current roster.

• Like Like x 3
  4. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    There is NO way we draft ALL picks on defense. Teams just don't do that. A lot is going to depend on FA and who is staying/leaving.

Now, if Emery drafts an offensive player in the first round, well that would just be really bizarre. And completely unnecessary.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. 4dabers

4dabers Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    643ß
    Ditto, word for word.

6. lklrlolnlilklsox

lklrlolnlilklsox Position Coach

ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    Slauson is a LG, and will stay an LG. I can see TE and C coming up for us in the draft.

7. 4dabers

4dabers Pro-Bowler
    DBS Writer

ßearz ßuckz:
    643ß
    Grizz and Huckster, from what I've been reading, I think that there are more than a couple scouts at the Senior Bowl that would disagree with you based on what they have seen in Mobile this week. That said, there is plenty of tape to watch on this guy and a week in Mobile does not constitute the final say on him. Like I said, I've been watching for a new Center for several years now; after last years draft when we went without taking one, I started researching guys for the 2014 draft. I can say that I liked the reporting I saw about Stork, and he was right up there with Swanson (at that time), along with this Rickberg kid and Gabe Ikard from Oklahoma. If I recall, Stork was a strong second after Swanson going into the 2013 season. However, I've read some reports that he has been pushed around quite a bit this week. I have no idea where he stands, but I DO have a strong opinion about Centers, and if we're going to take one, I want a good one, not a multi-year project. I have NOT seen him play, but I will certainly be watching him in the game today based on the opinion of both of you.

• Like Like x 1
  8. strockrocks

strockrocks Veteran

ßearz ßuckz:
    108ß
    I'm going to continue living in fantasy land and hoping that Fendi can get it together. By training camp, he will have a year of working on whatever he is working on (catching the ball would be nice) and will turn out OK.

I keep on thinking about the TE on the Broncos (Julius Thomas); similar story to Onobun and he exploded this year at his position.

I know there is probably a less than 2% chance Fendi can get it together but let me just believe it can happen...

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. dachuckster

dachuckster Pro-Bowler
    SuperFan

ßearz ßuckz:
    1,165ß
    4dabers - Search the player's name on youtube. Some of these guys have a lot of footage about them. Not the same as watching on a good DVR where you can stop and replay in slo-mo. But better than nothing.

10. ZifanQ

ZifanQ Pro-Bowler

ßearz ßuckz:
    85ß
    • Useful Useful x 1