Brad Biggs: "Bears look to the future at center" Says club must go after a center.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Jan 24, 2014.

1. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +995 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    28ß
    I agree with that and the notion that we aren't going to draft "all defense" (nor should we). If there's any two offensive positions to strongly consider in the draft, it's TE and C, even if Garza comes back (which I'd rather NOT do). Finding good prospects here in the back half of the draft/udfa is possible and many have been solid/good players with time and good coaching. In fact, the more I read about this years college QB class being not as deep as previously assumed, the more I wouldn't mind passing on a Hanie/Enderle type for a TE or C in the late draft if the opportunity presents (especially if McCown returns). Lets face it, barring career ending injury, Cutler is probably the Bears starting QB for the next 3 seasons now so the need to get a young QB in the pipeline could wait a year, if need be.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Moth

Moth Rookie

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Give them Jonathon Toews for the year, instant success!
  3. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    From what i understand about storks draft stock he is a true center and has little chance of moving to guard, this may drive his stock down and could be a blessing.

As a FSU fan I know that coaches and teammates say he was the leader of that offense. A take no sh*t guy. Maybe wishful thinking but watching him I couldn't help but see similarities to Olin Kreutz. If that's the case I'd love to have him in chi with the understanding he is not to touch any 25 lb weights unsupervised.

As far as the "all defense nothing else, that frankly won't happen and we MUST keep adding quality and youth to our oline unless we want to revisit the past 4 years.

Even if it isn't stork, I want a quality center this draft.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. dachuckster

dachuckster Veteran SuperFan

Ratings:
    +259 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    He is currently ranked as a 3rd or 4th round selection. So we might get him. From the little I saw of his play in the Senior Bowl, he looks very good.
  5. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    That would be highway robbery in the 3rd IMO. That's likely the round I would look for our center. Maybe we squire another 2nd or 3rd via trade down somewhere to give us flexibility. Still very early in this process so we will see how it progresses.
  6. 4dabers

4dabers Veteran DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +639 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    Well, for what it's worth, I watched the Senior bowl this afternoon and I thought Stork looked as good or better than the kid from Colorado State. It could be he just had a rough week of practice and showed up for the game. I would love to have Swanson, but He'll go earlier than we can afford to take a Center. I'd be just fine with Stork at this point. He sure as hell LOOKS like the kind of Center I'd like for us (I wouldn't want to piss the guy off).
  7. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +259 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    I tried watching Stork a closely as I could. Didn't see anything really spectacular. But his play was very solid and steady. A couple of time he showed some speed and athleticism by really hauling butt down field for run blocking. Also showed the ability in run blocking schemes to really go after linebackers and safeties.

I agree with Grizzblue, if he is around in the 3rd/4th round, he'd be a steal.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
    I taped the game and went back and watched all 4 Centers, and the one that stood out to me as was Larsen.

He was like a stone wall in the middle and it seemed like all the others got burned atleast once, and I believe there is no blitzing allowed in that game.

He moved well down field, and just seemed like he could hold his own on the run blocking. He is listed as 315 in Walter football and a possible 4-6 round pick.

Not sure what it was about him but he stood out as rock solid (not slow) to me.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +259 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    I was going to watch the game again today. When did Larson play?
  10. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    I will have to try to watch and see the others. I would love a solid, reliable center in Stork who could compete day one. I like his intangibles in flat out nastiness and an ability to lead. With they said I don't know much about the others and my support for stork comes from watching him for 3 years almost every game. Not to mention it would be cool to see what him and long would do to kong Suh when he, well...pulls a Suh.

All in all I just want another young rock whoever that may be. And I think a center will get drafted this year.
  11. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +495 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    320ß
    From mocks OC go in rd 3 and 4 for the ones you are talking about. Stork there in rd 4, do we invest in OC this early.
  12. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +259 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    If we get lucky and get 3 solid guys for the D in rounds 1 - 3, I'd go for it.
  13. mdbearz

mdbearz Veteran

Ratings:
    +280 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    19ß
  14. Grizzblue

Grizzblue Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +417 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    26ß
    Absolutely, but my guess is they will end up somewhere in the third
  15. dachuckster

Ratings:
    +259 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    47ß
    I saw ... he's pretty good as well. Another OC that caught my eye was Travis Swanson from Arkansas.

It is encouraging so see that we may very well get a solid OC in the 3rd or 4th round.
  16. BSBEARS

BSBEARS Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +495 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    320ß
    Seems to me most teams take a OG and turn them into OC. Gives more flexibility on the line. Yeah Swanson would be nice but not sure he would even be there at our 3rd round pick
    • Like Like x 1