Brad Biggs' Bears Mailbag

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 3, 2013.

1. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +321 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    221ß
  2. Bearstuff

Bearstuff Yes, in the woods. Staff Member SuperFan

Ratings:
    +1,134 / 3 / -2
    ßearz ßuckz:
    484ß
    Not a digital member, so can't read.
  3. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +321 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    221ß
    Bearstuff, you can sign up for a free account. You get like 5-10 free articles a month.
  4. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß
    I signed up and still can't access the stories. Can someone post the "Cliff's Notes" version?
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,372 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    771ß
    He sure doesn't think much of C. Washington.

• Like Like x 2
  6. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,372 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    771ß
    Regarding our "D" woes, he said that we need to remember that the Lions scored a defensive touchdown and had short drives of 2 and 22 yards for touchdowns. So, that is 21 of their 40 points right there that are hard to blame on the defense. Cutler just killed us in that game.

He wrote quite a bit about the "D" woes too. He was blunt & said there is no way we are getting a quality DL from another team at this point in the season (he also pointed out that the guy the Steelers got from AZ may be a bust.....so no joy there), and solid DL are coveted in the draft too. Someone asked if Shea might be salvaged by using him as an LB, but he said good luck with that one because who do you want to take away from the LB's to put Shea there. Somebody asked if Shea might have value to a 3-4 team in a trade. He said we'd not get our value out of him, and maybe the light will still go on in Shea's head.

It sounds to me like Shea is a bust. He'll be flipping burgers sooner rather than later.

Regarding our special teams woes he says that DeCamillis has a rock solid resume and Devin Hester has looked solid this season too so it’s tough to pin some poor punts by Adam Podlesh on DeCamillis in the last game.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  7. omc1969

omc1969 Veteran

Ratings:
    +204 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    30ß

DeCamillis may have a good resume but so far he has stunk up the joint. Just sayin'.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,372 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    771ß
    I agree completely. Losing Marinelli and Toub hurt us. We can say all we want about Lovie's teams, but we did have rock solid defenses & special teams most years.
  9. dabears

dabears Veteran

Ratings:
    +26 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    Regarding the Defensive woes, it was and is still my hope that the West Coast offense hybrid Trestman is trying to install (I hope I have the concept right) will take pressure off the defense by controlling drives. I was hopeful Jay would by now start using all of his weapons (BMarsh, The Unicorn, Alshon, Bennett, and Forte) in different passing situations. That way if they loosen up opposing Defenses they can run a bit better and control the clock. At least you don't in theory tax the D but there have been more turnovers and 3 & outs than we care to see. The fatigue factor also has to be taken into conisation if the D gets gassed early especially with fewer quality personnel on the field. Not sure if this makes any sense.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,549 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    My theory (and this is a complete talking-out-of-my-ass theory) is that Trestman realizes that Cutler has benn shell shocked and is really trying to bring him along to instill his confidence in being behind the line before he throws the whole book at him. I also think that Trestman has the tendency (more so than all QBs do) of going to the guy he trusts (ie Marshall). I think it is a process. How fast Cutler comes along is going to determine his future.
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,372 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    771ß
    Maybe the best quote in the entire article was this:

I think a lot of people don't fathom how hard it is to get decent help this time of year. Most teams are not going to trade anyone worth anything unless you mortgage your draft future. And the FA's sitting at home on the couch are there for a reason. The plane is in the air now, so it's hard to swap out the engines in mid-flight. Looks like our special teams engine is smoking, the Cutler engine is misfiring a bit.....but hopefully will make it, the defensive tackling engine flat died (and they're trying desperately to re-start it), and the defensive line engine has fallen off the plane (hope it doesn't kill some poor unsuspecting sucker on the ground).

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,549 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    I may have been on a plane flown by that guy...
    • Like Like x 2
  13. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,372 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    771ß
    At least the old pilot, co-pilot & navigator are gone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,549 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    I wonder wherew Lovie will land. I do think he will be back nect year. Maybe not HC, but he will be back. Tice, he may be done. IDK.
  15. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,214 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    255ß
    Yes, and Cutler's TOs cost us at least another FG too. Not saying the D was stellar by any means, but over half of the points surrendered to Detroit were GIFTS and Cutler was the biggest donator.

Regarding Shea, I'd give him this year (next 12 games and that's it). If the "light doesn't go on", trade him for whatever you can get. Yes, I know that will be way way less than a 1st round pick but take the deal anyway. He's a bust, in this defense anyway, so cut your losses and move on. You got a 6th for Carimi who had a major injury so maybe you could get a 4th or 5th for Shea. Take the deal.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,372 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    771ß
    He & Tice have tried. They fly an old 1-engine plane. That's Angelo on the tow rope (only two seats on their plane). Sadly, nobody wants their act anymore...

[​IMG]
    • Like Like x 2
  17. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,549 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    745ß
    Glad you said it was Angelo. The story I hears was that when Webb was learning to tie his shoes, he would use any piece of rope or string he saw to practice. While he was practicing the rabbit coming out of his hole in shoe-lace parlance, the plane took off on him. Amazingly, both Lovie and Tice were covered with bugs from the flight but Webb had managed to make the flight without blocking a single one.
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,372 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    771ß
    J'Marcus was always helpful to "Mr. Jay" and would kindly help him up after every concussion. You don't see that kind of good manners anymore. They said that he would always try to share a cold 50-piece McNugget meal with "Mr. Jay" in the locker room after those multi-sack outings. He would always tell Jay McNuggets always made him feel better after having to see Jay get those "owies" in a game. Those sacks were hard on J'Marcus to watch. Too hard.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  19. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +2,372 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    771ß
    BTW, that Webb & Omiyale pic says it all. Ol' turnstyle Frank & Webb who couldn't tie his own shoes. Brings a tear to the eye when I reminisce about those days.
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2013
  20. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +321 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    221ß
    Biggs said that our D is in BIG-TIME trouble, because he just doesn't see us generating much of a pass rush the rest of this season. He said that "hoping" that somebody steps forward to produce a magical season like Mark Anderson did back in 2006, is just whistlin' Dixie. As another poster mentioned, Biggs doesn't feel that Corn Wash is anybody to be excited about. As also noted, he sounds as though he has already written Shea off as a bust, so it appears as if our worst fears regarding Shea have been realized.
    • Like Like x 2