Brad Biggs' Bears Mailbag

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 3, 2013.

1. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    I see it exactly as he does for his first sentence. I can't really contribute anything to the Washington discussion, other than we could really use a talented DE. I just have no perspective on if he can or will be good. Shea has been a disappointment. There is no doubt. I don't know how that saga will end either, but he honestly does look like he knows what he is doing and he takes the right angles. I just think that he is not strong enough to play his position at the NFL level. He could get better by continuing to improve technique, but unless something drastically changes, i don't think he is going to make very much of a contribution. With the LBs brought in, not sure he has much of a future, but honestly, whatever LBs we brought in be damned (I do like them though), Shea is on the team and before we trash him, we should at least see what he can do at LB. If he somehow ends up being better than the two we brought in (and I think both are VERY good), then at least we know. I think you have an asset, find out what it can do (leave no stone unturned) before you walk away. Sadly though, I still think he may not be here much longer.
  2. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    He is going to be Mr. Homecoming this year at the University of Tulsa. FWIW, my Dad graduated there too and no he didn't know Lovie. I think Lovie was after his time.
  3. JPosh2012

JPosh2012 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +86 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    I too have been saying we should move Shea to OLB and at least give him a shot there. Remember Green Bay wanted him in the 3-4 as an OLB IIRC.
  4. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    232ß
    Couldn't agree more. If the choices are: A-give up on Shea completely and try to trade him for a later round draft pick OR B-give him a shot at OLB, I think that ya gotta go with Choice B, since we did spend a freakin' first round pick on him. It is often said that MOST young players display significant improvement during their 2nd full NFL season. I know we still have 12 games to go, but thus far, Shea has been MIA.
  5. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    Wonder if he'll bring his red flag.
  6. rich1978

rich1978 Veteran

Ratings:
    +182 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    95ß

brought many tears to my eyes back then too...
    • Like Like x 1
  7. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,983 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    999ß
    Poor tackling/blocking are the biggest issues, but that seems to be a team epedimic right now. Hopefully the solve that quickly.
  8. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,983 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    999ß

that's why they need to start blitzing w/CB's and LB's. the DL just is not going to get it done.
  9. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,983 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    999ß
    You really want to sit Anderson to play Shea at OLB, or are you planning on sitting Briggs. That's what Biggs point is. Both those guys have been outstanding players this year, and I wouldn't sit either for the likes of Shea
  10. jbunch14

jbunch14 Veteran

Ratings:
    +161 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    62ß
    That second pic just screams facepalm. Well done. That sums up the offense for the last 3 years!!
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    782ß
    That was my thinking too. Who do you sit, for a guy who looks like he may be a bust? I'm fine with giving him the rest of the season, at DE to see if he can change. But he sure looks like a draft bust to me. I realize it hurts to part ways with a 1st round bust, but we've had to do it often on the Bears. It sucks, but it's better than keeping dead weight on the roster, just because he was a high draft pick.

At the end of the season, if he is still a bust, then try to get a ham sandwich for him in trade (probably won't get anything) and move on.
  12. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    Sounds great on paper but which OLB are you going to bench to play Shea instead? Briggs and Anderson have been two of the defensive bright spots this year so I don't see that happening.

Shea is a bust and he's gone this coming offseason, I predict. If he can't play on the DL then I don't see him being kept around.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,983 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    999ß
    MP I hope they resign Anderson, he's been quite a nice suprise this year. The only way I see them keeping Shea is IF(not win sox) they move to a 3-4. Shea isn't going to outplay Briggs or Anderson this year. I don't think he'll be able to outplay Greene next year either. If Anderson isn't resigned maybe they try the Shea experiment then, but I hope not.
  14. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    It's really depressing how quickly the DL has declined.
    Shea was a bad pick.
    Peppers is aging fast.
    Izzy is gone (I know you agreed with letting him go but we could at least stop the run with him).
    Melton is hurt.
    And Wooton hasn't done much yet.

I fear we are totally screwed Sunday with this DL. Brees is going to pick us apart without pressure and he is way better with ball security than head case Jay is.
  15. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    232ß
    It's really depressing how quickly the DL has declined.
    Shea was a bad pick.
    Peppers is aging fast.
    Izzy is gone (I know you agreed with letting him go but we could at least stop the run with him).
    Melton is hurt.
    And Wooton hasn't done much yet.

^^^^That just about sums it up right there, MPbears68. Sad, but true.
  16. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +2,983 / 8 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    999ß
    Well to be fair, up until Melton got hurt and they moved Paea out of place there was no issue w/stopping the run. I think the team really thought Wootton would take another step, but there just was no need b/c Shea is actually worse then last year. Peppers is just a year past his prime. I personally saw that coming. And also, Izzy hasn't done shit in Det, and that's w/greatness surrounding him; I'm talking he'd done less then Shea has...and a lot less then Wotton has. So Letting Izzy go was the right move. The teams going to have to get a DT in the first and a DE in the 2nd or 3rd, maybe two b/c CornWash didn't do shite last Sunday(to be fair expecting him to do so is asking a lot for a 4th round DE is asking a lot).

DL and DB's next years draft, and hopefully a QB and WR in the mix also. That's what the team should be looking at. The Sooner McClown is no longer a Bear the better. The sooner the team has a legit backup plan for life w/out Culter(regardless if they resign him which I think they will) the better b/c qb's get hurt, it's a matter of when not if. Thur's game is my thesis, two teams, 1 game, 2 qb's go down.
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,216 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    256ß
    First of all, even before Melton got hurt, the DL as a whole wasn't playing well back then either. We talked about it here and it was being written about extensively by reporters. It certainly wasn't getting good pass rush pressure with the front 4 and it wasn't stopping the run all that well either. So, I have to disagree with you there. Maybe Melton was still "playing himself into mid season form" and that would have changed. Maybe not. We will never know. But the DL was NOT GOOD by any means in the first 2 3/4 games before Melton got hurt.

Wooton has been a disappointment thus far, I agree. He hasn't been a disruptive presence opposite Peppers at all. If that's because he's slacking due to Shea sucking and presenting no "competition", then he's a pretty lame excuse for a DE in his contract year no less. Shea does blow big time I concur and he's adding nothing to a weak DL performance so far.

It's easy to say "Izzy hasn't done anything with Detroit" and ignore the fact that he's playing backup to some elite DL players. Frankly, he'd be a starter with the Bears right now if he was retained. And I think he should have been over guys like Weems since they obviously have little confidence in CornWash or Minter. Our DL would be looking a whole lot less shitty right now if we still had Izzy in there.

I agree (between FA and the draft) that we need serious DL help and a CB for sure. I would add that we need a 2nd receiving TE option and to keep stocking the OL with another mid/late pick as well. WR is much less of a need as we have 3 good ones under contract with Anderson and Wilson waiting to move up.

Josh McCown is the least of my worries as Blanchard is returning in November. I'm much more concerned with Jay Cutler getting his head out of his ass or we are going to be paying a guy big bucks who chokes and becomes a turnover machine way too often and way too severely. My two cents...
    • Like Like x 2
  18. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +2,377 / 3 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    782ß
    And now Paea has turf toe. It's a tough injury for a DT to have. Even if he does play, it will limit his power and explosiveness off the line. At best it will be around for 3 to 4 weeks (if he doesn't play at all). If he does play, it will be an issue all season. Bad news all around with the DL this year.
  19. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +324 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    232ß
    we are gonna get boned by the Saints... :(
  20. Bearsinhouston

Ratings:
    +1,560 / 5 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    766ß
    IDK, something still doesn't feel right regarding the DL. Prior to getting injured Paea was not playing well. Prior to getting injured, Melton was not playing well. Peppers just fell of the face of the earth. Wooton was only decent. Now he is worse than decent. We lost Izzy -- does anyone really think he made that bif a difference. So just about everyones play got worse. If something defies the odds, then you have to look deeper. I don't buy that everyone just started playing worse.

There is more going on here. Now, with the injuries, direct somparisons get harder if not impossible, but this play has been going on since the beginning of the season and prior to injuries.