Brad Biggs' Bears Mailbag

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by BradMustersGhost, Oct 3, 2013.

1. riczaj01

riczaj01 DaBears Ditka DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,573 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß

Bengals were held to 63 rush yards.
    Minny 128 yards(against the best rb in the game mind you)
    Pitt 70 yards
    Det 159(bad melton out all game Paea out of position)

So really when the DL was hole they had 1 bad game, against AD mind you.

Izzy is doing LESS then Shea McClellen...let that sink in; and ya they have some studs, which means that Izzy should either be alone or on one guy he has to beat.

Safety also.

McCown and Blanchard is end of season if Cutler gets hurt. Time to get a honest to gawd backup in here, not a left over schlub.
  2. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,262 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,656ß
    Paea playing out of position didn't happen by accident. He was told to play there by his coach. Anyone reminded of Tice? I've seen this movie before. When a coach can't figure out what the heck to do to get the train back on track, they start moving guys around even if the moves make no sense.

I am sure that Tucker is not the only reason they are playing badly, but I am also just as sure that he is a big part.
  3. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 Coordinator SuperFan DBS Writer

Ratings:
    +3,011 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,709ß
    +1

I really don't know squat about defense, but I've had those same thoughts BIH. I just don't understand the level of change here, with the lack of pass rush. I mean, I guess it's possible everyone turned to crap in a period of what, 9 months or so? But what are the odds of that? I smell something wrong here beyond just our players talent suddenly dropping off the cliff regarding pass-rush. Even in Peppers case, DL players don't go from a Pro Bowl player to a disappearing act in 9 months. I've never seen a player do a "polar opposite" thing like that unless there was a significant injury.

Yeah. What gives here?
  4. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    meh, I don't know, guys. TRUST ME, I am still dubious about Tucker and his qualifications, HOWEVER, there were points last year when our DL disappeared. I mean, let's be honest, we haven't had a DOMINANT D-LINE for quite some time now. Peppers was the only true BEAST we had on the DL. Melton had a very good season last year, but that was only one season. The rest of the DL were "serviceable" at best. In other words, they might have had their "moments" from time to time, but they weren't anyone who kept opposing OL up at night. Soooo....now, Melton is injured, Peppers is finally past his prime, and the other DL have reverted to form (which isn't surprising, considering the fact that their best two linemates are no longer capable of providing as much help/support as last year). Regarding Peppers, it's not hard for me to believe that his career as a dominant DL is over. He has been showing signs of aging/decline for the past 2-3 years now. I just think most of us chose to ignore these signs (by making excuses for him) and cross our fingers, hoping that he still had "1-2 good years" left in him. Well now, we are kinda FORCED to face the truth about Pep and the rest of this mediocre DL.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Xa0sG0rilla

Xa0sG0rilla Veteran

Ratings:
    +66 / 0 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    23ß
    One should never underestimate the value of having the right defense, and the right defensive play at the right time.

Is it possible that some of what we are seeing is the loss of 'Lachs' ability to diagnose defenses?
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston Position Coach

Ratings:
    +2,262 / 10 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,656ß
    And this may be the Urlacher factor that we may all have been underestimating. Not sure of course, but at this point, all I know is something is very different and prior to the injuries, there were really only two big changes.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,472 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    502ß
    The DL has NOT had "just 1 bad game when whole", Ric. Sorry, I strongly disagree. It has SUCKED ALL YEAR, Melton or no Melton. And, although I wish he hadn't gotten hurt, Henry wasn't doing jack when he was in there.

We got ONE sack and virtually no pressure on Dalton and he was passing a lot.
    We practically made Ponder look like a decent QB with the pathetic lack of pass rush and AP ran all over us.
    Pitt had no running game at all to begin with so holding them to 70 yards on the ground is nothing to brag about. And virtually all the pressure on Ben was due to blitzing LBs, not the DL.
    I won't even go into the crapfest that the Detroit was DL-wise.

The guy holding the clipboard (as crappy as he is) is not going to impact the outcome of this season. The DL right now is a huge drag on this defense which needs the front four to at least worry the QB a little.
  8. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,011 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,709ß
    I believe a primary reason we were a top-5 defense last year was the defensive line play. The two Pro Bowl defensive linemen also helped us send two CB's to the Pro Bowl. It's a symbiotic relationship. Consequently, I don't believe we had a bad DL last year. On the contrary. We had a solid DL last year.

Maybe part of the equation is also Urlacher's setting the defense is missed. I think BIH may be on to something here.

It just isn't logical to believe the defense went over the cliff in 9 months. Rarely does an athlete go from stud to bad in a 9 month period either. They certainly can decline, but that is different than a major dropoff. The more I think about it, the harder time I'm having believing our players all turned to crap in 9 months.

Something more is going on here.
  9. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    Regarding Peppers, running backs often do "go from stud to dud" in one offseason. Sometimes a player just turns to crap. Remember Dale Murphy with the Braves? Obviously different sport, but same principle.
  10. DavidL

DavidL Pro-Bowler SuperFan

Ratings:
    +742 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,162ß
    This guy is judging CornWash on the basis of 4 snaps. The Bush run was not run to Corny's side, but he still recovered and almost made the tackle. Give him as much playing time as McClellin, then we can get a valid comparison. One thing we know: McClellin was totally shut out in the Lions game. CornWash can't do worse than zero.
  11. DavidL

Ratings:
    +742 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,162ß
    I have been saying all along that we are missing Urlacher more than most realize.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Ratings:
    +3,011 / 4 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,709ß
    In fairness, I think he was also talking about how he looked in camp and pre season. Granted, that still doesn't mean much, but it sure sounds like his athleticism is pretty iffy for an NFL career. Marginal guy at best. Of course McClellin is looking like a marginal guy too. So maybe we have two disappointments here. But if McClellin can't get it done I guess we might as well throw in a 6th round rook & see if he sinks or swims.

We're not looking too good on that DL anywhere right now. Emery has his work cut out for him this off-season. He's going to need to do to the DL, what he did with the OL this year - work a miracle.
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
  13. DavidL

Ratings:
    +742 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,162ß
    Corny's speed and strength are truly outstanding. There can be no debate on that -- proven in spades at the NFL combine. The way I see it, the Bears have little to lose by benching McClellin and giving Corny some serious playing time to see how he develops (or not). He has too much upside potential not to give it a chance. After all. he is just a raw rookie at this point. Even the great Richard Dent had only 3 sacks his first year, so let's not jump to conclusions prematurely about my adopted Bear.
  14. BradMustersGhost

BradMustersGhost Veteran

Ratings:
    +355 / 1 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    330ß
    I wouldn't mind seeing CornWash getting more snaps at all. I mean, at this point, why not?!
  15. DavidL

Ratings:
    +742 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,162ß
    I think McClellin just lacks the size and strength to play DL. I compared his combine measurables to CornWash. Corny did 36 reps on bench press (top score). McClellin could do only 19. That is poor. Corny's 4.55 in 40 beats him,too. Even faster than Bostic and most LB's. Sooooo, let's get this dude on the field -- NOW.
  16. MPbears68

MPbears68 Pro-Bowler

Ratings:
    +1,472 / 2 / -0
    ßearz ßuckz:
    502ß
    Biggs didn't sound too impressed with CW but who knows how predictive that is. I would agree that there isn't much to lose by reducing Shea's snaps and giving some of those to Washington. McClellin has been a massive liability against the run and he's not exactly terrorizing any QBs on the pash rush either. I hate to say this but hes been a major disappointment as a 1st round pick.
  17. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,573 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß

I was speaking against the run MP. We all know they've had problems getting to the qb.
  18. riczaj01

Ratings:
    +3,573 / 10 / -8
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,774ß
    Unless your a 1st round pick, you have to earn playing time, it's not given to a player. If he didn't look good in pre season or TC, and then didn't look good on the few plays on the field, CornyWashy won't see more then 4 snaps, and if he continues to be bad he'll get less.
  19. DavidL

Ratings:
    +742 / 6 / -24
    ßearz ßuckz:
    1,162ß
    I think they will cut their losses on McClellin after this season. As a first round pick, he;s going the direction of Spellman and Carimi. Meanwhile, though, they need to get a good look at CW. If they determine that CW will be a starter at DE, it will affect their negotiation with Wootton. Conversely, it helps Wootton if McClellin continues to flop and CW gets little playing time. This will be an interesting situation to watch as the season unfolds.