Brad Biggs: Signing JC to a long-term contract is not a slam dunk decision yet.

Discussion in 'Chicago Bears' started by JustAnotherBearsFan99, Nov 14, 2013.

1. JustAnotherBearsFan99

JustAnotherBearsFan99 SuperFan

This was in reference to a "Mailbag" question this week. Biggs is basically saying the remaining games that Cutler plays will be needed to determine if he should be re-signed.

2. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Here's more from the "Mailbag"

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jimmors

Jimmors The Rhymenoceros SuperFan

No way he gets a long term deal after this season. FT maybe.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. riczaj01

riczaj01

I would agree w/that Jimmors, but again apparently all Emery and Trestman have talked about is how great Cutler has been, very postive talk. I know it's not a given seeing as they have to say these things, but it makes you wonder.

I hope they don't give him a 4-5 year deal, I really hope they FT him.
    • Like Like x 2
  5. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Sometimes I wish we had a QB at one of the polar-extremes. Then the decision would be a slam dunk. Jay is somewhere in the middle. If you sit down and write out a pro/con list, you'd end up with stuff in both columns. With Angelo/Lovie it would be easy too. They didn't have the gears to develop anyone in-house so Jay would be here until he died of old age, while Emery/Trestman can actually evaluate talent at the position, and then coach the youngster up.

It's a tough decision, at least for me as a fan. I wouldn't be crushed if we moved on from Jay.
  6. Jimmors

Seeing McCown play has done nothing but destroy Jay's chances of getting a long term deal. If McCown had played crappy (like most backups), then we could say "ok, Jay is really important to this offense, we better re-sign him." But the fact that Josh has managed the games much more effeciently than Jay has, has only demonstrated that Trestman is the key to this offense, and that Jay is entirely replaceable.

Combine that with the injuries and Jay's age, and its not looking good for him. If he was younger, then sure...i could see Emery locking him up for the long haul, or if Jay has played out the season uninjured, then i could see them signing him (since McCown wouldn't have been needed). As it stands, Jay's only hope is that they decide to FT him to give him one more shot to earn that huge contract.
    • Like Like x 2
  7. JustAnotherBearsFan99

Regarding McCown's play, I came across this today. McCown must be immensely popular in the locker room - and respected.

8. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

I think we SHOULD keep McCown, if nothing else, than to help a rookie out. Dude doesn't have all the physical gifts in the world, but, for the life of me, I can't think of a smarter backup we've had.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. riczaj01

riczaj01

He'd be like Greise for Orton. I'm not a fan of it myself, but if he gives Cutler the warm fuzzies b/c he's not threat, and he could help move his replacement along, so be it.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

The only thing I didn't like about Griese is that he didn't cut Rex's brakes before the big game.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. JustAnotherBearsFan99

If the team continues to win with him at QB, then I hope we keep him too. So many times, when the starter QB goes down to a major injury - that's the end of your season. A backup who can keep the plane in the air, is a valuable commodity. Especially nowadays where QB's drop like flies in the NFL.
    • Like Like x 2
  12. Jimmors

This is what i posted before, these are our options:

1.Let Jay walk at season's end, re-sign Josh, draft a Franchise QB. Downside: won't be able to focus on Defense early in the draft.
    2.Franchise Jay, re-sign Josh, put off QB decision until after 2014. Downside: miss out on what may be a good QB draft class in '13.
    3.Franchise Jay, let McCown go, draft a rookie to develop. Similar to #1, but more expensive. Leaves us some wiggle room in the draft.
    • Like Like x 2
  13. Henry Burris

Henry Burris

If Pompeii is right, and the cornerback class this year really IS bad, and we go to FA to find another starter, we HAVE to look for a QB this year. I'd really like to have both QBs we have now plus a rookie, but I won't complain if McCown goes.
  14. kevperro

kevperro

I'd like to have a bigger body of work from McCown to judge this by. If he continues to play anywhere close to the level he has over 3-4 more games.... I'd personally dump Cutler and go for one in this draft. It saves us a ton of money which could be spent on our many areas of need. If I thought Jay was "the guy" or had the potential to be our Super Bowl QB, I wouldn't feel this way but I think we have seen a big enough body of work from Jay under all kinds of circumstances and what you see is what you get.
  15. Bearsinhouston

Bearsinhouston

There are so many moving parts right now.
    Will McCown continue to play well? Personally, I don't see any reason why not
    Will Cutler continue to improve? Again, I don't see why not
    Will he improve enough? That is the $64,000 question
    What will Cutler sign for?
    What will McCown sign for?
    Who will be available to us in the draft?

Right now, I'd still like to see Cutler improve and be our franchise QB. He has made strides but not sure if enough. I wanted to dump McCown, but I just don't know how you can advocate that because of how well he is playing and how cheap he is. He has to be the biggest bang for the buck QB playing right now. And lastly, I don't think you can just stay pat with Cutler and McCown for another year. At some point soon, you need to bring in a young gun.

How all of those ingredients will mix together, I have no idea.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. jbunch14

jbunch14

I have been a huge Cutler supporter, and I still feel like he could develop into a SB QB, however: He is going to be 31 next year, and he has suffered significant injuries in each of the last three years. The clock is ticking in a very bad way. McCown is running the offense efficiently, although I view him as nothing more than a stopgap measure, he has great coaching instincts and could be a great asset to a rookie coming in. Huge talent in the upcoming QB class. Maybe now is the time to tie Trestman to his QB and see how he does. How about a tag-and-trade scenario for Jay? What compensation could we expect?
  17. MPbears68

MPbears68

I really doubt McCown is that big of a factor in this whole calculation. He's played well (love him for beating Green Bay) but he's also a 34 yo career journeyman who's no threat to be the #1 for any team next year. My point is...I can't believe he's gonna be all that expensive to re-sign (and I do think he should be for several reasons we've been over) so whatever he earns isn't gonna be a deal breaker regarding other moves.

He is, and will be, much cheaper than the $3m+ we wasted on Jason Campbell last year.
  18. short faced bear

short faced bear

I would think the smart play would be to FT JC, resign Josh, draft a qb mid round then after 2014 you can still draft a qb and have some developmental depth when Josh fades away.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. a_miljan

a_miljan

After this last game and my huge dissapointment with Marc and Jay, i would let Jay walk if Josh continues to play smart and giving us first downs, inch by inch.
    Lets not forget, Cutler and McCown had the same number of TD passes last weekend although Jay played 90% of the game!
    He will be more ready for next year too
  20. MPbears68

MPbears68

That would seem the best plan to me.
    • Agree Agree x 1